Cigarette purchase on cruises

Beaver1975

I don't know if this new news, but I have not seen it posted here. It appears that our government taken away a duty free benefit from some cruisers.

We just returned from the Dawn and cigarette purchases (that you can bring home) are limited to one carton per person, down from the two it has been for years.

This might help -> http://www.taxfreetravel.com/US%20Duty%20Free%20Allowances%20and%20Exemptions%20

Depending on where you visited and where you purchased.

Glenn

I don't know if this new news, but I have not seen it posted here. It appears that our government taken away a duty free benefit from some cruisers.

We just returned from the Dawn and cigarette purchases (that you can bring home) are limited to one carton per person, down from the two it has been for years.

Just remember that quite often paying the duty still saves lots of money over prices at home. You aren't limited to one if you pay the duty on the others.

Thank you, but don't need help.

The rules have changed recently. We did the same exact itinerary last October and the allowance was two cartons per US citizen. January 1, 2014 gave us thousands of new regulations. This is one that was buried deep in the minutae and is just another subtle tax increase by our "representative" government.

We did not buy any duty free liquor so I don't know if there any limit changes there. But, it would not surprise me.

Edited by Beaver1975