Treatment of the sick on Explorer of the Seas

tbill

I'm interested in knowing how the almost 600 passengers are being treated on the Explorer of the Seas. It is concerning that it seems that when this outbreak happens the cruise staff is mostly interested in locking the passengers up in their cabins... I totally understand the concern of getting those that are still healthy infected but what about the ones that are already sick... take their keys and lock them in the cabin?? Crazy! They are not prisoners, they are on VACATION and became ill.

This really concerns me because we are booked on the Oasis in November. I am extremely claustrophobic and would not take kindly to having my sail and sign card removed from my possession and locked in my cabin because I am not feeling well. I'm really starting to rethink cruising at all. Between the nickel and diming and the treatment of passengers in emergency and/or infectious outbreaks it really seems that it is more of a hassle to cruise.

Then don't:rolleyes: cruise, pretty simple.....

on earth does the age of the patient have to do with it? They took the sea pass card so this child could do nothing on the ship... BECAUSE HE HAD TOO MUCH PIZZA!
Lets see the child is 7 not 9,10,11, or a teen......Common sense tells you a 7 year old has no use for a seapass card to begin with, other than for identification purposes!....:rolleyes:

I was taken very ill with a GI illness aboard the Adventure back in September. I, for one, was glad to be quarantined for 48 hours. I would hate to think that my selfishness resulted in anyone else's holiday being impacted upon.

Royal Caribbean's medical staff, room steward, and room service were absolutely first class. Their concern and compassion made the whole event more bearable.

If you feel the cruise lines are "nickel and diming", why still book one??

Agreed! Actually I don't understand why people use the term - no one forces you to buy something if you don't want to. Just like when at home or on any other kind of vacation.

I hope the problem is cleared up before the next sailing.

They can clear up the problem, spend extra time sanitizing and it might still do the trick.

I was on a Princess cruise a few years ago that we were delayed boarding because the previous cruise had noro.

We boarded late so we missed our first port of call Princess Cays. the other 2 ports were Curacao and Aruba. When we were off the coast of Curacao the Captain came on and said the CDC has ordered the ship back to Ft Lauderdale because so many became sick in spite of the extra cleaning.

Our cruise was canceled after day 5 and we never visited a port.

Princess did fly us home on their dime, gave us all of our money back, and gave us money off of our next cruise.

So now matter how much they clean it is still possible for it to remain onboard or for someone on the next cruise to bring it on.

Bill

There are a lot of things that cause vomiting that aren't not norovirus. One day at the doctor, I was very dizzy and started vomiting. It turned out, my blood pressure was too low. Vertigo can also cause vomiting.

Personally, I think they should allow people in their staterooms as soon as they board. If people are feeling ill, they can retire to their stateroom instead of spreading germs in the Windjammer.

There are a lot of things that cause vomiting that aren't not norovirus. One day at the doctor, I was very dizzy and started vomiting. It turned out, my blood pressure was too low. Vertigo can also cause vomiting.

Personally, I think they should allow people in their staterooms as soon as they board. If people are feeling ill, they can retire to their stateroom instead of spreading germs in the Windjammer.

Oh dear I really do hope they wouldn't let an ill person get on board let alone let them go to the cabin.! If they are ill they shouldnt even try and get on board.!!

I'm interested in knowing how the almost 600 passengers are being treated on the Explorer of the Seas. It is concerning that it seems that when this outbreak happens the cruise staff is mostly interested in locking the passengers up in their cabins... I totally understand the concern of getting those that are still healthy infected but what about the ones that are already sick... take their keys and lock them in the cabin?? Crazy! They are not prisoners, they are on VACATION and became ill.

This really concerns me because we are booked on the Oasis in November. I am extremely claustrophobic and would not take kindly to having my sail and sign card removed from my possession and locked in my cabin because I am not feeling well. I'm really starting to rethink cruising at all. Between the nickel and diming and the treatment of passengers in emergency and/or infectious outbreaks it really seems that it is more of a hassle to cruise.

So, again, what should the cruise line do?

Put yourself in their seat- you are faced with a viral outbreak, one that causes a pretty nasty set of symptoms, passes pretty easily- even though it's only passed by contact (and has to be passed via a facial oraface). And this is a virus- so you can't give someone a shot and stop it- at the moment, the state of the art if medicine has no cure for viruses. Best the can do now is a more effective flu shot, which kind of works.

What do you do?

This isn't an attack- what do you propose to do?

The only thing you suggested so far is to not lock them in their room. How does that help the possible viral outbreak?

What else would you do? Or more correctly, what would you do instead of quaranteeing them in their rooms?

If there are more effective ways to prevent a big outbreak, I'm sure EVERYONE would be interested in reading about them.

Edited by alfaeric

Over here in the UK we have Noro Virus just like every other country, Our hospitals get it quite badly and have to stop visitors going in to see there loved ones. They have hand sanitizers by the ward door but I have never seen anyone use it!!. Going in or out of the ward.!

The schools have also been hit badly with it and they tell all parents that if a child has any kind of sickness then they must be kept home and not let back until 48 hours after the sickness has stopped.! But some parents do not like having the children home that long and send them back too early. So then the class goes down with it.!

So surely being told to stay in your cabin is no different.! And something I always think about is what about everyone else in the cabin.? They could be carriers! Yet they let them walk around and carry on is THIS right.??

Brenda

Don't know where Tbill is getting his or her info from, but he/she is full of it. Those who unfortunately get sick are NOT locked in their cabin and there cards are NOT taken away. Sounds like someone got ticked off by RCI on another or maybe this cruise and is just blowing off steam. RCI and other cruise lines go out of their way to prevent people from getting sick but you will always get some idiot who doesn't think it's a good idea to wash hands and use sanitizer. I've seen people skirt past the crew staff at the buffet door and not use the hand sanitizer.

I hope the problem is cleared up before the next sailing.

This happened to us once and ironically, it was our Explorer cruise in 2006. We arrived at the pier to learn that boarding was delayed due to the sickness onboard with the previous cruise, and they would be sanitizing everything. Trust me, there is no better time to board a ship than after an outbreak. She will be sparkling. :)

I've been on 36 cruises and many of them had some sick people on board. It becomes evident when they start serving passengers at the buffet, take away salt and pepper shakers, etc. Illness is found everywhere so it isn't surprising it can be brought on board intentionally or unintentionally. Poor hygiene can be seen easily on board in the public bathrooms which doesn't help the spread of illness either.

I was sick on a cruise last year but don't believe it was the noroviris it wasn't very acute. I did report to the medical clinic even though I was sick only once in the morning. I was asked to stay in my cabin for 48 hours. I was told if there was a port I wouldn't be allowed to get off the ship. No it wasn't pleasant sitting in a cabin for two days. I was treated very well with extra in depth cleaning and room service. I was not charged at the medical clinic. By reporting yourself you're doing a service to the passengers who embark next in that cabin. A special cleaning is done. I for one would like to think when I arrive in a cabin that the person before let it be known if they were sick.

1. I am not trolling.

2. I have been on 32 cruises in the past, not a 1st time cruiser.

3. I read right on these boards that a family traveling on the Oasis a couple of weeks ago had a son who was only sick from eating too much pizza and junk. The went to medical and were told he was confined to the cabin... and they took his SAIL & SIGN CARD! I didn't make that up.

4. The CDC report for the Explorer that is now being returned home states 577 passengers and 49 crew are sick... That is over 600... NOT 300!! That is the fact, so you my friend should get it right.. I already did!

5. The people responding to my post are down right mean. That is really uncalled for.

6. What should the cruise line do??? Not lock up paying passengers on vacation. How about being clean and not have these things break out every other cruise?? That would be nice.

7. My husband had noro-virus on a cruise we were on 5 years ago. We handled it ourselves because those on our cruise that reported it to medical were telling everyone not to report it because of how terribly they were treated.

A cruise ship can be 110 percent clean with not one speck of a germ but have one sick person get on board...and there's your outbreak.

Julia’s Journey’s and tbill

I think both of you need to chill wow Relax if you do not want to cruise don't and if you do want to cruise by all means do . I think you both need to take a long vacation

Wow, I don't need a long vacation just don't like being told I am being rude when I really was only saying what I heard on the news.

Guess the OP got defensive and started being rude to me and a lot of other posters - which resulted in this drama filled thread - :eek::eek::eek:

1. I am not trolling.

2. I have been on 32 cruises in the past, not a 1st time cruiser.

3. I read right on these boards that a family traveling on the Oasis a couple of weeks ago had a son who was only sick from eating too much pizza and junk. The went to medical and were told he was confined to the cabin... and they took his SAIL & SIGN CARD! I didn't make that up.

4. The CDC report for the Explorer that is now being returned home states 577 passengers and 49 crew are sick... That is over 600... NOT 300!! That is the fact, so you my friend should get it right.. I already did!

5. The people responding to my post are down right mean. That is really uncalled for.

6. What should the cruise line do??? Not lock up paying passengers on vacation. How about being clean and not have these things break out every other cruise?? That would be nice.

7. My husband had noro-virus on a cruise we were on 5 years ago. We handled it ourselves because those on our cruise that reported it to medical were telling everyone not to report it because of how terribly they were treated.

I dont mean to be mean here, just realistic. People who have Noro and don't report it are part of the problem, if you report it they will clean your cabin and disinfect it hopefully protecting other cabin mates and your cabin steward, the people who do your laundry etc. When I had Noro the people who cleaned my cabin came in suited up, with a spray that froze germs, they sprayed and then disinfected, the literally washed and disinfected the walls of my cabin. Your cabin steward at some point cleaned your cabin not knowing someone was sick in there, which left which him wide open to catch the Noro himself... How could they keep your cabin free of your germs if you didn't tell them you were sick? What about your towels, your wash clothes, your sheets? How many crew members had to handle them not knowing they were carrying your Noro Virus. I also know this has been said over and over again but POEPLE PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS WHILE LEAVING THE BATHROOMS.. I SEE THIS ALL THE TIME.. Should the cruise line man each rest room, forcing people to wash their hands. If you know how they can possibly keep their ships clean and free of germs, please inform the CDC, Im sure they have a very high paying job waiting for you in their infection control department.

Im not saying your lying about someone getting their sign and sail card taken away but its just weird because he could have left his cabin with his other cabin mates. What did that do?

You also use the word "lock up" which is not what it is. There just asking passengers not to make others sick in an attempt to contain the virus to as little passengers as possible.

All of that said, The time I had Noro (and reported it) they treated me very well. They cleaned by cabin to protect my husband, they called me twice and asked me if there was anything they could do. No one locked me up, I had enough respect for the crew and my fellow passengers that I stayed in the cabin until I was well... Seems like the neighborly thing to do!!

Can you provide a link to where you read this (#3)? I think most people on here don't believe this statement (myself included).

I think it was more than pizza and junk...maybe too much of a "beverage" , if you know what I mean!

The real question is, if you're confined to your cabin, can you smoke on the balcony?

Seriously though wonder why the attack rate is so much lower amongst crew, who are more tightly housed than passengers. Younger average age?

I think it was more than pizza and junk...maybe too much of a "beverage" , if you know what I mean!

Lol could be.

I'm wondering if the OP can provide any evidence that ANYONE other than this child has EVER had their room card taken away because of illness.

The real question is, if you're confined to your cabin, can you smoke on the balcony?

Seriously though wonder why the attack rate is so much lower amongst crew, who are more tightly housed than passengers. Younger average age?

I would venture to say because their immune system has built up more of a resistant to the illness, since they are around the "germs" more than the average person.

While they don't actually take your Seapass card away, there is some truth to this part of the story:

On an Explorer cruise a couple of years ago my DW ate something that disagreed with her. She's always had a sensitive stomach and she knew that it wasn't Noro or anything like that, as did I. But on this cruise we had forgotten to pack Imodium so she went down to medical to see about getting some. The nurse on duty was obviously following protocol and immediately ordered her quarantined, no exam, no tests, nothing. When my wife initially protested (we were at Coco Cay) and demanded to see the doctor she was curtly informed that it was the doctor's day off and not to try anything because her Seapass would be deactivated until she was cleared. Obviously this didn't sit well with either of us.

Since I wasn't about to leave my wife alone in the stateroom I missed Cococay too, and spent the next few hours dividing my time between bringing her snacks and adult beverages and making a general nuisance of myself to both the nurse and customer service until they finally had the doctor call the stateroom. A few questions asked and answered and the quarantine was immediately lifted.

One pertinent thing: Over the course of many calls and visits to the customer service desk, at no time did her Seapass show as being deactivated. It's unclear whether it was because they weren't certain that she actually had a communicable infection, if the threat (but not actually doing it) of deactivating her Seapass was part of the protocol, or if there was a communication breakdown between medical and customer service.

At the time we were both quite upset since we had basically "lost" an entire day, but over time we've come to accept that the protocols involved with GI issues are there to prevent an outbreak and they are what they are. We also now make sure that the Imodium is in the first thing to go in the ditty bag!

To the OP, this practice of confining infected people to their rooms is a solution used by many places of high density living. My mom and mother-in-law both lived in active assisted living situations. On occasion, noro has reared its ugly head in both homes. The solution? For as long as it was deemed necessary, no visitors were allowed and no residents were allowed to leave (except for doctor's visits). Group activities were cancelled and meals that were usually eaten in the main dining hall were delivered to the apartments. All precautions were taken to protect the residents and visitors from getting this infection.

Also hospitals in the area where my kids volunteer will prohibit visitors and volunteers if there is a large outbreak of a contagious illness.

If a school experiences a similar outbreak, classes are sometimes cancelled.

Sometimes solutions to a situation like you describe are unpleasant, especially on vacation. But quarantining an ill, contagious person in a confined living space is really regular protocol and should be adhered to by those that are infected.

Why would these parents want a pukey kid roaming around without them anyway? I just don't understand this whole "entitlement" thing. Let's blame the cruise line for some idiots that want to board when sick. :rolleyes: