Room Keys

I've booked two cabins on the Miracle. I listed my 21-year old daughter in one room and her 19-year old friend in the other. Plans are for the girls to share a cabin, though. I've discovered the Sign-and-Sail cards on the Miracle serve as room keys. This will be a hassle. Anyone know a way around this "key" problem?

The sign and sail card is the room key for every cruise ship. Why didn't you just book the two of them together in one room at the beginning? Did the 19 year old have a roommate when you originally booked the two rooms? If not, she's paying double the fare because of the single supplement. The easiest thing to do is just change the reservation and put both girls in the same room. That way there's no hassle at check in and there won't be questions asked when you have to go to the purser's office and ask for new cards to be made up. There's also the problem of the charges for each room and that's another thing you have to clear up.

I think I understand why you booked this way. I know people that did the same arrangement so the daughter and her best friend could stay together in the room next door to the adults. But one adult had to be registered in each room because of the girls ages.

Here's what they did. Shortly before sailaway one person goes to the pursers office and says they lost their key - they give you a new one. Wait a few hours then one person from the other room does the same thing. Then you give one girl your original key and the girl from the other room gives you her original key. On RCCI, charging privileges were transferred to the new card, but the original key still opened the door.

The person staying in the "wrong" room always has to carry two keys, one for their charges and one to get in the room. It's a little inconvenient, but do-able.

You don't need to tell them you lost your keys. Just take all the keys for both rooms to the pursers desk and ask them to change them . We did this w/our kids and 2 cabins and it worked fine. They were more than happy to oblige.

Your assumption for age and cruising is incorrect. You have to be 21 to cruise without a parent or guardian and if they are under 21, they must have someone age 25 or older in the room with them. But if you, as an adult, are also going on the cruise, you could have booked them in the same room together. Parents do that all the time with their teenage kids in one room and the adults in another, usually in connecting rooms or rooms across the hall from each other.

As for the room key being used also as the sign and sail card, it is the way for the newer ships, but the Holiday is one of the oldest ships in operation.

I'm the original poster. I just called Carnival. They say, as did Crucon when I made the booking, that people under 25 cannot be booked in a room - each "kid" must be booked with an over-25 adult. Carnival said when I am setting up the Sign-and-Sail cards after we are on board to tell the clerk we are switching rooms and everything will be fine.

I had assumed I would do the Sign-and-Sail card business at the port. Carnival said "No, you do it on the ship." I've been on Carnival a few times, but not with multiple rooms so the card process isn't one of my memories. I'm hoping the card process on this cruise also turns out to be a non-memory.

I was able to stay with my friend in a room together when we were both 22--without any problems.

thats because all parties were over 21.. the OP has a person going that is only 19. If someone under 21 is going--then one person needs to be 25.

Key-deliemma- is there going to be purchasing power to the card? Thats what gets tricky. You can ask for extra cabin keys but swtiching keys is NOT doable since they have your photo encrypted on teh back. If its only cabin keys you need-- then ask at the pursers desk.

Put the luggage tags with the cabin # that they will go in. No one needs to know who belongs to what luggage.

It isnt a big deal--people do it all the time

Extra keys would do the trick. The 19-year old isn't mine, so I'm going to use a separate credit card for her to cover all the stuff she insists she isn't going to buy. I'll collect from her parents later.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice.

Hi, you will have no problem we do this all the time...my son's stay in adjoining cabins and when they were young my husband and one son would be listed on one cabin and my other son and myself in the other. As soon as we got on board we go to the cabin relations desk and tell them we need two extra keys one for each room. These keys are designated as room keys only and they use the original keys for charging. Never a problem. don't worry!

Archived