Dress code for excursions

fkwok

Hi. Does anyone know the dress code, if there is one, for excursions while in St. Georges, Haliton and Kings Wharf? We are thinking of a trolley, train and walking tour while there and heard there is a dress code.

Can I wear my TEVA sandals, hiking shorts and a plain t-shirt and not get arrested?

What if I just want to go to the beach one day and all I am doing is catching a cab from the dock to the beach and back?

Thanks!

There is no "dress code" generally in Bermuda -- public places, busses, beaches, etc. are what is comfortable (no nudity) - just common sense. Private establishments -- particularly sit-down restaurants are more dresy than in the US, but most tourist things are laid back.

Guide books on Bermuda tend to overplay the dress code. Shorts, t-shirt and sandals are just fine for walking around and visiting sites but some restaurants have dress codes so if you make reservations check in advance for a dress code.

Bermuda is still a touch conservative when it comes to dress but nothing like it was years ago. Unless you are at a beach or pool you generally shouldn't walk around in a bathing suit nor should men be shirtless, including when jogging or playing tennis. Avoid wearing really revealing swimwear such as thong bikinis. There are also no topless or 'clothing optional' beaches in Bermuda.

What if I just want to go to the beach one day and all I am doing is catching a cab from the dock to the beach and back?

I forgot to mention, bring a change of clothes if taking a cab/bus back from the beach. You'll get a cool reception if you are wearing wet or sandy clothes (and some bus drivers won't even let you on the bus). Many, but not all, taxi drivers keep big sheets of plastic to cover their seats in case you are wet/sandy but you can avoid them going through the hassle of setting that up if you've changed into dry clothes.

Hi. Thank you everyone for their advise. I am much relieved to hear the sandals, shorts and t-shirts. And thanks for tip about the cabs/bus. I wouldn't think of wearing my speedos touring the city, but didn't want to offend anyone with a pair of hiking shorts, sandlas and t-shirt.

Archived