If I get sick before cruising

Sharon Sails

Hi Sharon,

only you can tell how you feel and if you can cruise or not. If you are sick it will not be much fun being on the ship. Perhaps another visit to the doctor and explaining how you feel might help the doctor to change his / her mind.

Now about the RCI cruise care run by Berkley.... I used it in 2006.

We were going to cruise on Adventure. Two days before the cruise the porcelain pony became my best friend, I did not feel good. Called the family doctor and he wanted to see me. He did nor really know what was wrong but determined it was some gastro problem. Gave me something ( do not remember what ) to help me feel better. He did not thinh that I should go on a cruise and I felt the same.

That was friday afternoon, cruise was on sunday with air on saturday.

I called RCI to let them know I will not cruise. They got me in contact with Berkely. Berkley sent me some documents to file. Doctor had to fill out some portion.

Berkely coverd all of the cost including the air that I purchased on my own.

The only thing that we lost was OBC.

Wife's portion was covered as well.

Wishing you a quick recovery.

Edited by wieslaw

Well, it appears that the doctor's office has walk in hours tomorrow morning. Perhaps if I throw up tonight, I will have reason to cancel the cruise. I sure feel like one of these coughing fits I'm having could bring up something...

I can't WAIT to change MY DOCTOR!

(VENTING now, sorry...)

Edited by Sharon Sails

I don't think my husband would be happy with losing $600+. Maybe you can afford that, but we can't. Rather than making my husband miss his vacation, I can be miserable in a small cabin - so he can enjoy his time. That's how we are.

I don't understand this logic. Of course you can "afford" to lose $600. You could "afford" a lot more than that for the entire vacation. You might hate the thought of losing it, but you can "afford" it. If you couldn't afford it, then you would be going without some other need being fulfilled. But I suspect you'll still have food on the table, a roof over your head, and all your needs met.

As for going and being miserable in a small cabin so your husband can have a good time. I can't imagine doing something that terrible to my wife! SAVE your money, cancel the trip and consider yourself ahead 75% of the cost, rather than out $600.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/30/travel/princess-cruises-illness/index.html

Another ship with Noro. Perhaps this is the best reason to NOT go on the cruise... If I got noro on top of this cold -- bad news.

I shall try the doctor again in the a.m.

Thanks to DrD for the kindest, most helpful advice...

Edited by Sharon Sails

I am angry. Frustrated and angry that because my doctor's office most likely will NOT fill out any forms (forms I can't even get until AFTER I cancel the cruise!) saying I shouldn't cruise - because it's "just" a BAD cold. Yes, it's infectious, but that doesn't seem to matter. I will try to see if I can get in to see someone at the doctor's office tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic. Why do I have to lose $650 because I'm sick? I didn't choose this. The big problem is that I wasn't able to go to the better doctor's office instead of this one -- the better doctor wasn't accepting new patients until this month. I get to see him as a new patient later in February.

Ok, venting done. I lose. Again, thanks to DrD for your kindness.

I am angry. Frustrated and angry that because my doctor's office most likely will NOT fill out any forms (forms I can't even get until AFTER I cancel the cruise!) saying I shouldn't cruise - because it's "just" a BAD cold. Yes, it's infectious, but that doesn't seem to matter. I will try to see if I can get in to see someone at the doctor's office tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic. Why do I have to lose $650 because I'm sick? I didn't choose this. The big problem is that I wasn't able to go to the better doctor's office instead of this one -- the better doctor wasn't accepting new patients until this month. I get to see him as a new patient later in February.

Ok, venting done. I lose. Again, thanks to DrD for your kindness.

It doesn't have to be your regular Dr, maybe there is a walk in clinic like an urgent care that you can go to. They may be willing to do it if your regular Dr. isn't. Just a thought.

I'm sorry that you are going through this. :(

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/30/travel/princess-cruises-illness/index.html

Another ship with Noro. Perhaps this is the best reason to NOT go on the cruise... If I got noro on top of this cold -- bad news.

I shall try the doctor again in the a.m.

Thanks to DrD for the kindest, most helpful advice...

Sharon, I'm really sorry you are sick, and especially right before you are due to cruise.

I know how you feel, I came down with a bad cold (sinus infec)prior to a cruise last year - got antibiotic and thought I'd be on the mend. Well, must've picked something up on the plane or in Ft. Lauderdale, b/c I got noro-like symptoms the morning of the cruise (Independence). Decided not to board and lost lots of money.

Hope it turns out okay and you feel better soon!

Going back to the doctor's office at 8 a.m. for walk-in hours -- hopefully they will be of some help. I can't go on that cruise - I'm just too sick.

Thank you to the last two commenters-I appreciate your kind input.

Much better to stay home. It seems horrible and traumatic now, but will be fine when you're better and can plan a new one...it will be okay!

A couple of years ago my DH had a bad cold. The pharmacist and his Dr both told him to take mucinex and claritin. While he still "had" the cold, it really helped with the symptoms and he felt better than he would have suffering through it. He was able to sleep too without waking up coughing, etc. Ask your Dr before you do something like this in case you have any contraindications.

A treated cold lasts a week and an untreated cold lasts 7 days, but you might as well not have to deal with the terrible symptoms if you can.

Edited by BND