Finalizing Alaksa Cruise

PattyCruiser2013

I've done a ton of research. I know that it is best to go out of Vancouver for the best views (and less rocking, maybe). We've heard rave reviews and don't miss it advice about Glacier Bay. I've looked at so many ships, itineraries and read so many reviews on here, that my head is spinning.

I found a great itinerary on HAL but there are not many great cabins left so that is making it difficult. We've cruised on Celebrity before and so started looking at those as well. I know they don't have as many "ins" as HAL and Princess (we've ruled out Princess and NCL already - not because of reviews, but some other things that just aren't working in our favor) but the intineraries are not bad, and we'd still get to see Alaska!

So here are our final 3. I know you will say - base it on what you want to see. I'm leaning heavily toward Vancouver route with Glacier Bay. However, we also had hopes up to maybe see Victoria (but maybe that is another time and we focus on the rest of the intinerary ? - one of my Qs here)

That's our issue - we can't decide what to miss and what is a must with so many options on the intineraries.

If just my husband and myself,we're open to rooms. But, we have 2 young kids with us and need some space. even balcony rooms can prove a challenge sometimes, but we've done it and had fun! also traveling with older family (70-80) and 3 in a room - so an upper berth doesn't really work for us, so looking for rooms with a pull out couch or something easier to get into :)

So you can see where my challenges arise since although I've been researching this for MONTHS - we are still a little late in the game and missed out on some of the best rooms, which has made it harder to decide. We are also fairly limited on the weeks we can go.

HAL - not so great rooms left and traveling with kids and older family and need some "comfort" level in rooms

Vancouver, IP cruising, Tracy Arm, Junuea, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, IP crusing, Vancouver

Celebrity (better rooms available - i.e. more space/views)

Vancouver, IP cruising,icy strait point, hubbard glacier, juneau, Ketchikan, IP cruising, Vancouver

Celebrity (again, some better rooms) - and Victoria - but not as "pretty" as Vancouver route

Seattle, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm Fjord, Juneau, Skagway, IP, Victoria

(traveling July so may have issues in Tracy Arm as I've read)

Any input? I know its a personal decision but just trying to see if there is something I'm missing in our final selection process.

thanks!

Of your choices - I would do this one:

Celebrity (better rooms available - i.e. more space/views)

Vancouver, IP cruising,icy strait point, hubbard glacier, juneau, Ketchikan, IP cruising, Vancouver

I would choose Hubbard Glacier over Tracy Arm.

Edited by Coral

We spent 14 nights in an inside cabin on HAL's 14 day Alaska itinerary with 2 adults and 2 teenage girls. I thought HAL's cabins were the best laid out quad cabins we've been in, and we've sailed CCL, RCI, Celebrity, Princess, NCL, and DCL.

I would not let the cabin deter me from the HAL itinerary, if you prefer that one.

if there was one port I could trade on my itinerary it would be Skagway for ISP.

I get the impression that ISP doesn't have as much to do unless you book a tour through the cruise line. There are no independant operators there.

So I'd choose the HAL one. But that's just me.

if there was one port I could trade on my itinerary it would be Skagway for ISP.

I get the impression that ISP doesn't have as much to do unless you book a tour through the cruise line. There are no independant operators there.

There are a lot of private venders at ISP. Whale watching with: Glacier Winds, F.I.S.H.E.S, Misty Bay Lodge to name a few. Also, worlds longest ZipLine.

We did an independent whale watch in ISP. It was wonderful. Check out TripAdvisor (CCs sister site) for ideas and independent operators.

To the OP - can you get to Vancouver early and spend a couple extra days and take a trip over to Victoria? We didn't spend a whole lot of extra time there so I'm not sure if that's even possible.

Edited by olemissreb

HAL and Glacier Bay for first choice. HAL cabins on their older ships are larger than most other ships for a given cabin type. Tracy Arm and even Hubbard Glacier can sometimes be cancelled due to weather. Icy Strait Point is better for an "encore" visit to Alaska once you've seen the standard stops: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway. Each is quite different than the other. Victoria is also an "encore" stop, and can be pretty rushed unless it is a dedicated full day stop.

Just my opinion.

Penny