Behind the scenes ship tour

scottw3

I'm about to take my 2nd X cruise (a 5-night western caribbean on the Constellation). I'm wondering if this tour is offered on the M class ships and on shorter cruises.

My first cruise on X was several years ago (a 7-night on an S class) and this tour was cancelled due to problems on the previous cruise with Noro. It was also free at that time. Can anyone confirm this tour is offered on a 5 night itinerary? If so, is there still a fee? Thanks!

I can't speak for M class ships or short cruises, but I did the 'Behind The Scenes Tour' on Silhouette on the December TA.

Interesting tour if your into maritime stuff and have a natural curiosity, certainly not free anymore, costs $150 per person. Though it does include lunch at Murano, but only if you can stand to sit waiting 60 mins for the first course.

The tour overall is very good and Celebrity make a decent effor to give good access and provide knowledgeable hosts.

We will sail in March and would like to take this tour.

is it offered on infinity? 14 night cruise and how to you sign up for it.

It's been awhile since we have sailed celebrity back then it was a free tour.

I realize they now charge for the tour.

The Behind The Scenes ship tour was offered on our 15n 11/22/13 Infinity Panama Canal cruise. When we first boarded we went straight to Guest Relations and put our names on the list. The tour was on the second to the last day which was a sea day. We really enjoyed this tour and had a wonderful lunch in the SS United States following it. It is $150pp but we felt it was well worth it. For us, one of those "do once" things.

A backstage tour was offered to us on the Silhouette last fall as a Captain's Club "select" member event. No charge.

The "Behind the Scenes" tour is very different from a backstage tour, galley tour, bridge tour or visit to the engine control room. It is extensive, including many areas of the ship not readily available to passengers. And I don't remember the "Behind the Scenes" tour ever being free of charge.

The Behind The Scenes ship tour was offered on our 15n 11/22/13 Infinity Panama Canal cruise. When we first boarded we went straight to Guest Relations and put our names on the list. The tour was on the second to the last day which was a sea day. We really enjoyed this tour and had a wonderful lunch in the SS United States following it. It is $150pp but we felt it was well worth it. For us, one of those "do once" things.

Thanks for the info. We are doing Panama cruise in March on that same ship

Did the ship tour fill up pretty fast? How many will they take on a tour?

SS United States were you able to order off menu? Also could you take your camera & take photos on the tour? Was the captain on the bridge?

What do you mean by ordering off menu? Do you want to just go there and order food not offered? Generally speaking, no, they don't do off menu ordering. They MAY do some simple things, with 24 hour notice so they can see if they have the required ingredients, but something last minute, I've not seen that happen, and we dine in the specialties every night.

For security reasons, they may limit photos.

Edited by kitty9

What do you mean by ordering off menu? Do you want to just go there and order food not offered? Generally speaking, no, they don't do off menu ordering. They MAY do some simple things, with 24 hour notice so they can see if they have the required ingredients, but something last minute, I've not seen that happen, and we dine in the specialties every night.

For security reasons, they may limit photos.

I meant do you order from the menu or is it a fixed meal they select to serve?

Guest Relations said they never knew from one cruise to the next if there would be interest in the tour. I recommend signing up as soon as you board. We were told that there was a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 16 or 18. The lunch was ordered from a menu - choice of starters/salads, a choice of a filet mignon or lobster tail (we ordered the filet but the lobster tails that were served with very large!) and a choice of dessert. Also wine was included. The Captain was on the bridge - he was very nice & personable and provided so much information. If I recall correctly, photos were allowed in most areas - they will you where they are not allowed. Also, we were told to wear long pants and closed toe shoes. It was a great tour.

Did not know Celebrity offers this. Certainly did not see anything on my recent cruise on the Silhouette and last October's Reflection cruise.

About 2 years ago I took one on Princess. Well worth the money. Will definitely inquire on my next Celebrity cruise.

Hmm, so far it seems like no one has done this on a 5-night cruise. I'll just have to see when we get on board. And if not, then that sounds like a good excuse to book another cruise. :D

Scott, we just finished a 5-day Western Caribbean on the Constellation. They offered a galley tour on the first sea day. It wasn't all that great, but something to do on a sea day. They led us through the galley in groups of about 30 with a chef at the head of the line trying to talk above the din. It was hard to hear and not much really going on. The only other tour I saw was on Day 1, billed as a ship's tour for first-time cruisers, I believe. These were both free, but I don't think they're what you're looking for.

Jim

The Galley Tour is a different thing (it's not the Behind the Scenes).

Scottw3 ---

On day 5 of our 13 day cruise, they had a notification of the behind the scenes tour mentioned inside the front cover of the Celebrity Today. It was headed "See How It's Done Tour".

The text was as follows : "Did you ever want to know what goes on behind the scenes on the Bridge, the Theatre, the Engine Control Room and more?. Experience areas of the ship that only our crew get to see. (Fee applies). Limited spaces. Sign up by the deadline today."

What's with not publishing the fee ! (seems like they'd rather embarrass guests, by getting the unfamiliar to ask and subsequently baulk at the price?!). But we've learnt here that it is $150.

But as you can see Celebrity give no details in their "ad", nor mention lunch, or even what day it is scheduled to occur.... however this tour might be the one you meant.....

Clear as mud really :D

DH and I took the 'see how it's done' tour on the Eclipse. We loved it!

Keep in mind, we both have an engineering background. Most of the rest of the people on the tour were men, many of them with a Navy background,

We spent nearly 5 hours climbing up and down stairs behind the scenes. We ended with a special lunch in the MDR, but it did include wine and a special menu. The menu was not filet or lobster, though.

We are hoping it is offered in June in the Med as we think our kids, at least the boy, would have a blast. DS is about to start his engineering courses, so has some context. Not sure DD would get as much, being a BioChem major, np but she might