Disney Cruise tracking my children?

5dcruisers

Is there a way to know where the children are if we use adult pool or bar area? Is it safe to leave 12,13 year old at the pool alone and wonder around the ship?

It's up to you to keep track of your kids. In Oceaneer's club they have bracelets that will log them in and out of the space (it will only let you know they are there, not where they are specifically). However, at 12 & 13 your kids would be in Edge. They will have sign in and out privileges. There are Wave Phones in the room (old-style cell phones) that you can use onboard the ship for keeping in contact.

You know your kids. Would you leave them alone at the pool while you wander elsewhere?

Edited by Shmoo here

Thanks for the info. Is Oceaner's club something I have to sign up online or once we get there?

Oceaneer's Club/Lab is for ages 3-12 and Edge is ages 11-14.

You don't register your child (in your case your 12 year old) in the clubs if they are over the age of 11.

Children in Edge have automatic in and out sign out privileges. And, I believe it's ages 9-12, in Oceaneer's have auto sign in/out also. Unless you turn it off (in Oceaneer's club only).

Oceaneer's Club/Lab is age 3-12.

Edge is 11-14

Vibe is 14-17.

Yes, there is overlap. That allows the parent and child to decide together where they are most comfortable. An 11 year old who needs supervision should be in the Lab; one that is OK to wander freely around the ship may be more appropriate in the Edge. It works best if you think of it as elementary, middle, and high school groups.

As to tracking your kids--your rules. On our first cruise where DD had sign out, she was required to be in the Lab or the cabin. NOW you have a wave phone. You can make them call you and tell you where they are or are going. They can call your phone from any phone on the ship (your cabin, a house phone, etc).

Would you leave your kid alone at a pool? That's up to you.

It's up to you to keep track of your kids. In Oceaneer's club they have bracelets that will log them in and out of the space (it will only let you know they are there, not where they are specifically). However, at 12 & 13 your kids would be in Edge. They will have sign in and out privileges. There are Wave Phones in the room (old-style cell phones) that you can use onboard the ship for keeping in contact.

You know your kids. Would you leave them alone at the pool while you wander elsewhere?

The new oceaneer's bands are long-range RFID - just like magic bands. The club/lab staff now has the ability to tell which room a child is in using that technology.

For instance, when I gave my card to swipe, I was told exactly where each child was - "Daughter is in pixie hollow, Son is in Andy's Room and GodDaughter is in the workshop between the club and lab"

I think its active now throughout the entire ship and CC. The kids are taken by counselors, sometimes for food and scavenger hunts etc throughout the ship.

How current is this information? Years ago, the kids went to the pool deck for food and the Lab group had activities held in various locations around the ship. However, after the big "rules changes," food was served in the OC/OL and kids who were in "secure programming" were not taken from the Club/Lab area for anything. That was part of the "secure" issue. Kids in the Edge and Vibe do have activities in other locations, but these kids don't wear the ID bracelets.

Having just returned from Fantasy we were told that the bands are activated as they enter the club and deactivated when they leave and therefore they are not tracked around the ship.

There was never any mention of children being taken out of Oceaneer's for food, food was served in the club.

How current is this information? Years ago' date=' the kids went to the pool deck for food and the Lab group had activities held in various locations around the ship. However, after the big "rules changes," food was served in the OC/OL and kids who were in "secure programming" were not taken from the Club/Lab area for anything. That was part of the "secure" issue. Kids in the Edge and Vibe do have activities in other locations, but these kids don't wear the ID bracelets.[/quote']

About 3 years now. That was the last time my oldest went to the clubs. We went to get him and his sister, (we never gave the kids sign out privileges so they didnt get lost getting back to the room or we wouldnt be there when they got back.Now they have to call and tell us where they are going etc. before they do it. ) and the counselor looked at the computer and said hes in the arcade, and she was in the lab. I was talking to someone recently from the island and said not long after our 2010 cruise they were supposed to put the tracking out there as well. Both my kids have told me that while they were in the clubs for the Fantasy Maiden,and the Magic before that that they were on shipwide scavenger hunts. Unless its on the new ships and not the classics because of the tech involved.

Edited by truck1

They do supervised activities outside of the clubs, and there is no RFID tracking for those activities. I think its more the older kids 9-12 who do some of those. It's possible that kids not allowed to self-sign out are not permitted on those, I am not sure.