Budget Car Rental-Port Canaveral

xowendyxo

We have a car reserved with Budget for when we dock in Pt. Canaveral

My question is...do they require proof of insurance? I booked through Costco (I was able to upgrade from an economy car to a standard for the same price) but wasn't asked about any insurance information. I don't want to get there and find out that I need to provide proof of insurance OR pay their astronomical insurance rate

Thanks!!

I've done lots of rentals with Budget and Enterprise and very rarely been asked about insurance. If they ask, I tell them yes, tell them the company, and I don't have the policy number. Have never been denied or required to get their insurance.

Great, thanks. The only rental I've ever had to get was when my car was being repaired. I was never asked for insurance, but I thought maybe it was because the dealership was paying the bill :)

Also...I was reading the 'fine print' it states that they will put a hold on your credit card of the rental price or $200, whichever is greater. Do they really adhere to that? I can't see them putting a $200 hold on a car that you're going to have for 8 hours (because then of course, you're not going to get the $200 back for at least 3 business days!)

I know they do put the amount on the card. However, when you return it, they take it off, so it should be as quick as when they put it on. It is just a simple removal of a charge. Not that I've check my card to see when it comes off, but I can't believe it takes the 3 days.

Maybe it's just my credit union. I tend to use my debit card for everything and when there is a 'hold' placed on it, it's there for 3 days :(

I think we're going to take a credit card for the cruise anyway...it's easier should something happen with it. I had my number compromised in January (tickets on Air Asia? A hotel room in London? Nope, wasn't me!) and, no, I didn't shop at Target! :p

Glad to hear you weren't caught in that Target issue. So far, me either. I always use credit cards, which are much easier to deal with fraudulent charges than debit cards. However, make sure you get a credit card that doesn't charge a foreign-transaction fee (usually 3%). I had that up until about 5 years ago when my sister got one from Cap-one. Will save you a few dollars if you use it overseas.

Steve

I do not know if this will apply to you or not ...... I do notify the credit card company that I might be using their credit card in such and such city, and whatever country I might be in and be using the card during the cruise. I also give them the dates. Perhaps that is not required but I do it.

Edited by wieslaw

wieslaw. Great point. forgot to mention that one. Yes, very definitely tell the credit card company where you will be on each day. I actually had a problem with not doing that once and my card got locked down, plus, was the only card I had on board with me. Had to call Chase to get it unlocked, from the middle of the ocean... :)

Back to your original question, whether or not the car rental agency asks to see proof of insurance (I've only been asked to show proof once and they "claimed" they needed to know what my collision deductible was) I still always carry a copy of the front endorsement page, which lists my policy #, effective dates and which coverages I have, just in case something were to happen while the car is in my possession. If there were to be any kind of an incident, the first thing the police will ask for is your drivers license and proof of insurance.

If your car rental insurance is covered by one of your major credit cards, I'm not sure how that would be handled - perhaps a call to their customer service would answer that question.

I think I am going to take our PoI...just in case. Hey, what's one more piece of paper, right??

I do call our credit union and let them know we are going to be out and about for the week, I usually don't give them specific ports of call, but I may this time. I don't really love it when my debit card gets shut down when I want to spend money.

Thanks for all of your help!

Our experience was at the Tampa airport with Budget. We filled out the initial paperwork at the desk and then went out to the garage to get the minivan. While trying to load luggage and kids, the attendant had my husband look over the vehicle and initial several areas of the contract. Well without really looking over what he initialed, he agreed to the extra insurance at about $28 per day. We didn't realize this had happened at all until dummy me ran into a parking cement block curb not knowing the van sat so low. Needless to say significant front end damage. So after getting back to the rental home and sitting down to review the rental contract and totally freaking out in the meantime because our collision deductible is $500, it dawns on me that hubby agreed to the extra insurance. When we returned the van to the airport, they looked over our paperwork, made comments in the computer with us looking over their shoulders and all was well. We were on our way and have not received any call or bill ever- thank goodness!

As you can probably see, this ended up being a godsend as the insurance was cheaper than our deductible and it didn't go against us for our premiums. We have now decided to just pay the extra insurance amount because it's worth it in place of the potential hassle especially when you're in an unfamiliar area with a lot of other tourists.

Just giving our story. Bottom line.... always review all paperwork that your signature or initials go on and good luck whatever you do. By the way, we have never been asked for our insurance info at time of rental.