Seattle Friendly Cruise Hotels

Have some friends leaving on the Star on the 28th of Aug and needed a hotel and place to park their car. Any good reccommendations?

Thanks, Tim

PS anything else you can throw in about the Star for them will be greatly appreciated. Like, How big is the space under the bed, They would like to borrow my BIG suitcase that fits under the beds on Holland ships.

Thanks

I like the Marriott Waterfront. It is literally across the street from the cruise terminal. We were able to see the Star from our hotel room window when we stayed there last June. We got the hotel through Priceline.

Here is the information on the parking structure that we used. It was also across the street from the pier, adjacent to the hotel.

http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cruise/parkingandtransportation.shtml

The other hotel by the pier is the Edgewater. It is also not cheap. Instead of being across the street from the pier, it's on the next pier over, so it sticks out over the water. In the 60's, the Beatles stayed there and they fished out the window of their hotel room, but you're not allowed to do that anymore. :) It went through a big renovation about 4 years ago. The put in fireplaces in all the rooms and tried to give it a woodsy lodge sort of feel.

I have also heard that the Alexis Hotel has a park and cruise package, not sure how true that is though. This hotel is located about a 10 minute walk along the waterfront. All of these hotels are very nice and I would say if you want to be at the pier go with either the Marriott or Edgewater and go with the best price.

We were on the Star last June 20. Embarkation can seem daunting, at first. It went very well for us. We were there early, turned in our bags at door 2, street level, where they had a little line going (10:30 am or 11:00, or so). You have to show your tickets and citizenship documents to prove your bags belong onboard (and to make sure they don't get sent off with your luggage before you have a chance to present them at the check-in counter:eek: ). Then, it was into the pier building, and up the escalator to the check-in area. There was a port lady in a solid color jacket directing people on the main floor. Flash your documents again for the a person possibly directing people to the correct check-in line upstairs. Wait in that line (if any). Check-in (documents, citizenship, sign up for onboard purchase form of payment, get photo for key card, get key card, etc). We were early, so we had an extra step here...wait for the ship to be cleared for boarding. Still have your citizenship docs out? Sometimes an immigration check at this point. Then line for security x-ray scan of carry-ons. Then...it's on to the gangway! You may have one other slow down to get the embarkation photo. They try to take one of each group...no obligation to buy, no sitting fee ;) .

One thing that causes frustration in this process is the expectation that "Once I get through this check-in line, I'll be home free---on vacation---finished with all this airport, taxi, luggage, check-in stuff. Then it seems even worse when the process (and line) continues around the next corner or through the next door.:p

I haven't been to the port of Seattle this year, so I'm not sure about the number of the luggage door, or at which stage they will do what. However, the series of lines seems pretty universal with all the embarkations I have experienced. It's not too bad if you keep that enthusiasm in check until you set your foot on the gangway :D :D .

I am not sure, but I don't see why not. I can tell you that after we completed checked-in, the NCL check-in agent suggested we go see Seattle, as the ship hadn't been cleared for embarkation yet. Go, tour around, see the market, etc., so I imagine you could do so after you dropped off the luggage. When we went, they were checking luggage even before the lines opened upstairs, so I don't see how there is any time limit between checking your luggage and checking in upstairs.

Can anyone else think of any possible reason why this would cause a problem?

Archived