Best driving route to Long Beach

Mt Lassen

Driving from NorCal on the 5 is the better route the 710 rather than the 405? I believe the 710 is more miles, but every time I've been on the 405 it's been a parking lot. This is on a Sunday if that makes any difference.

Generally speaking, Sunday morning on the southbound 405 is good. I would have a news station on once passing Magic Mountain, and listen carefully for the words 'Sepulveda Pass'. If hearing those words, I would come through downtown LA instead.

The 405 will be completely closed for several hours in February:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/01/28/jamzilla-is-coming-construction-to-shut-down-405-freeway/

If you're not coming that week (or leaving), you'll still want to check Caltrans as there's been a lot of construction over the past few years. And could be some more work after that.

Generally speaking, Sunday morning on the southbound 405 is good. I would have a news station on once passing Magic Mountain, and listen carefully for the words 'Sepulveda Pass'. If hearing those words, I would come through downtown LA instead.

1070AM has trraffic reports every 10 minutes on the 8's. It alternates between Orange County and Los Angeles County area freeways.

The 405 will be completely closed for several hours in February:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/01/28/jamzilla-is-coming-construction-to-shut-down-405-freeway/

If you're not coming that week (or leaving)' date=' you'll still want to check Caltrans as there's been a lot of construction over the past few years. And could be some more work after that.[/quote']

Also, check the conditions on the 5 at the Grapevine. If there is snow, it might be closed between Bakersfield and Castaic. If that is the case, then take the 58 to the 14 and then take it to the 5.