e-Visa for Turkey

Sorry to resurrect this topic again but I'm still slightly confused about the need to obtain a tourist Visa in Turkey. In June our ship visits 2 ports in Turkey before ending with an overnight stay in Istanbul. It appears from reading prior posts and information on the US website a Visa is not required when on shore excursions. When transferring from the ship for the flight home is a Visa necessary for an exit out of Turkey?:confused:

Pat

If you only spend time on the ship or on their cruise excursions, then you do not need a visa. However, if you are staying ashore you will.

This is from the Turkish Embassy website:

\

I will be visiting Turkey on a cruise ship. Do I need to get a visa?

While you do need to have a passport when traveling overseas, special arrangements are made by the large cruise lines to facilitate their passengers’ shore excursions. These special arrangements eliminate the potential for loss or theft of passengers’ passports while shopping and touring, and eliminate the need for passengers to obtain individual visitor visas from Turkey. U.S. citizens do typically need an e-visa to enter Turkey, but cruise ship passengers are permitted to come ashore without a visa for day visits by special arrangements.

In short, you may visit Turkey on the day trip from your cruise ship without being in possession of your passport. You may, however, want to carry a photocopy of your passport with you when your passport is being kept for safekeeping by the cruise lines.

Deb

I was given to understand that we will need a visa due to the fact we are stAying 2extra nights in Istanbul after our cruise ends. It also appears that since the visa is for a 90 day period, I must wait until 90 days prior to our arrival in IST before I can apply for the visa on the official website. Does all this seem accurate to you, JohnBull. (BTW, I love your input!)

I was given to understand that we will need a visa due to the fact we are stAying 2extra nights in Istanbul after our cruise ends. It also appears that since the visa is for a 90 day period, I must wait until 90 days prior to our arrival in IST before I can apply for the visa on the official website. Does all this seem accurate to you, JohnBull. (BTW, I love your input!)

I'm not JohnBull but I will go ahead and answer. Yes, you will need the visa if you go back to Istanbul to do a land stay. (Are you going back there from Athens?)

You put in the date the visa is to start. You can go ahead and do it now; it becomes active on the date you specify. My is valid for 90 days beginning June 9 because that is when I arrive in Istanbul and that is what I put in my application.

From their website:

Do I need to enter Turkey on the exact date specified in my application?

No. The validity period of your e-Visa begins from the date specified in your application. You can enter Turkey on any date within this period.

Hope this helps.

Deb

You put in the date the visa is to start. You can go ahead and do it now; it becomes active on the date you specify. My is valid for 90 days beginning June 9 because that is when I arrive in Istanbul and that is what I put in my application.

We're on a Venice to Istanbul cruise, the penultimate port being Kusadasi. We stay on post-cruise in Turkey and need a visa, but am not sure what date of entry I need to give, the date we are in Kusadasi ( june 19) or our Istanbul disembarkation date (june 21)? Some from our RC have put in the date for the first port, but we come back onboard that evening, does it make a difference? Thanks for your input!

We're on a Venice to Istanbul cruise, the penultimate port being Kusadasi. We stay on post-cruise in Turkey and need a visa, but am not sure what date of entry I need to give, the date we are in Kusadasi ( june 19) or our Istanbul disembarkation date (june 21)? Some from our RC have put in the date for the first port, but we come back onboard that evening, does it make a difference? Thanks for your input!

It won't matter which date you put as it is good for 90 days. However, legally, you won't need it until you disembark in Istanbul on June 21 and stay on land. Being in a Turkish port on a cruise ship does not necessitate a visa nor do day trips ashore.

Deb

It's good for 6 months actually (for multiple trips not exceeding 90 days each time), so if you're thinking of returning to Turkey in that time frame, it could make a difference and you might want to give them the latest start date possible (i.e. your disembarkation date in Istanbul). But if you just need the visa for this one trip, and you really want to feel doubly sure to have all your bases covered (like, what if you miss the ship in Kusadasi???), give them an earlier arrival date.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

It's good for 6 months actually (for multiple trips not exceeding 90 days each time), so if you're thinking of returning to Turkey in that time frame, it could make a difference and you might want to give them the latest start date possible (i.e. your disembarkation date in Istanbul). But if you just need the visa for this one trip, and you really want to feel doubly sure to have all your bases covered (like, what if you miss the ship in Kusadasi???), give them an earlier arrival date.

Good point, better to give the earlier date even though we won't actually need the visa until disembarkation. BTW, I believe this is single entry visa, hence good for only one trip. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I have seen many offer their expert opinion on whether or not a VISA is required, and as much as I would love to take your word on it, does anyone have an official website, much like the Canadians above, for the US citizens that indicates whether or not while cruising and only stopping for a day in Istanbul and a day in Ephesus a VISA is required? I have read through the official Turkey website on Visas and their requirements and everything indicates one is required.

I would just feel much better about everything if I had an official site to make a decision.

Regardless, all your input, and that of everyone on Cruise Critic is greatly appreciated. We love all the great advice, pictures, stories, and suggestions.

Thank you,

Denise

I would just feel much better about everything if I had an official site to make a decision.

This is the sort of information which should be on the govt website of the subject country - in this case Turkey

http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/visa.asp

But don't bother looking - cos it isn't.

Wasn't on there for my first visit ten years ago, and has probably never ever been on there.

Same applies to the US govt website http://turkey.usembassy.gov/visa_requirements.html

Unusually, the UK foreign office is more on-the-ball. :)

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey/entry-requirements

Although of course it is directed only at UK citizens, it confirms the cruise passenger dispensation. But it's very basic info

The absence of info about cruise visitor & other dispensations on govt. websites isn't unusual, there's the same absence of specific info for many countries world-wide.

And often the info given by embassies, cruise line head-office staff etc is incorrect.

You're far better off with the advice given by cruisers on this thread.

If you had only one or two well-intended replies from cruisers you'd be right to be wary.

But many thousands of us have been there, done that. And many hundreds will have done so this week.

If things had changed - boy, this thread would be alight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So relax, chill, no worries :cool:

Edited to add: sorry, Susierailroad, just noticed your post. I'm no expert, but Deb's answer seems to be spot-on :)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

The e-visa website mentioned above and in other threads is an official site, and it does give information point about the visa waiver for cruise ship passengers:
According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours.

Here is the URL: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/do-i-need-an-e-visa-if-i-am-on-a-cruise-ship/

For an even more official source, see the website of the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

Question: I am taking a Mediterranean boat cruise with my family. Our ship will also visit Kuşadası. Do we need visas to enter Turkey? Answer: Foreigners who are travelling to Turkey by cruises are allowed to enter Turkey without visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with the permission given by the local security authorities.

Here is that URL: http://www.mfa.gov.tr/frequently-asked-questions.en.mfa

The e-visa website mentioned above and in other threads is an official site, and it does give information point about the visa waiver for cruise ship passengers:

Here is the URL: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/do-i-need-an-e-visa-if-i-am-on-a-cruise-ship/

For an even more official source, see the website of the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

Well found. :)

You've lived up to your screen-name. :cool:

And you're a better web-ferret than the rest of us :D

JB :)

I looked all over that site! THANK YOU so much!! Excellent! Holding my head down in shame at my false sense of researchability! :)

I have no information for those who are doing a port stop or terminating in Turkey, but did want to give a heads up to those who will be flying into IST. When I read the website it made it seem like you had to apply for the e-Visa prior and there was no way to pay on arrival at the airport. As of 5/29 there were still window where you could pay in person as well as computer kiosks for e-visa.

Another point of note is if you are an arriving Business/First class passenger there is a Fast Track passport control station that is on the far end near the crew passport control station.