Dress for boarding ideas

tricia1563

Tricia, My favorite for long trips are black flowing silk chiffon pants. They pair up with dressy sweaters, little cocktail jackets, plain black silk t-top with various elegant wraps. Along with what Summergee suggested, they will cover as many evenings as you plan for. :)

Oh dear, I grew up around Freo and shame there may be boarding issues. I will definitely dress casual. Thanks for the heads up and nice to know.

I hope it is better you, get there early, they made walk along the road, up onto that platform, along the platform and into the terminal, then it was fine,

if your getting off in Sydney, they are worse, all our bags, 100s of the were carried off one by one by what we found out were local students, It was entertaining if nothing else

We found our Sydney disembark very easy. At the OPT. All the normal trucks were used.

Don't worry about your clothes so much. It's part of the fun. A change in wrap will change the look of an outfit. There are so many different sectors on this voyage so your table mates will change. I don't remember what I wear let alone others. Everyone just blends in unless they decide to wear something really really different.

If you have even a remote idea will you be properly dressed, then I'd say you care and will be properly dressed. Sometimes these "dress" threads can give the wrong idea. People will post and quibble back and forth endlessly about what is and isn't suitable for formal night, pros and cons re jeans or shorts, whether to dress up for embarkation or dress down, what to wear last night or when disembarking. More and more, people will post suggestions for comfort, then bemoan the lowering of Cunard's "standards." It's simple, really. Formal nights are dressy. Gowns, cocktail dresses, variations of, for women, tuxedo/black tie or dark business suit for men. Other nights look as if you're receiving the Vicar; for men jackets are a must, ties are optional. Daywear, anything you'd feel "smart casual" is seen, and there's a lot of wearing what you'd not be ashamed being seen in at K-Mart and bumping into the children's teacher. You needn't be a Country-Club-er to wear nice clothing. If you're taking the trouble to cross an ocean or take a cruise, more than likely you'll dress better than you would for a quick trip to the post office, hoping you see no one you know. On Cunard people make an effort. Many Cunarders like the opportunity to dress up, swan around, be on sea. Note the brochures. Nice clothes. So dressed you'll never feel out of place, you'll look as if you put a little effort toward your trip. Looking that is never wrong.

Do ladies tend to be seen in same formal dresses over a long cruise. I am going to be stuck trying to find numerous formal and semi-formal outfits. Think I may dine in kings court some nights so as to not feel out of place. I was eager for this cruise and now packing is becoming a nightmare lol.

On my first Cunard cruise I think I had one formal outfit, one semi-formal and one informal. I managed and did not worry. Since then I have gradually acquired more clothes, though I still do not have the variety I would like. I struggle to find formal clothes. I wear the same clothes night after night and enjoy myself!

I have spoken to some people who pack a different outfit for each evening - and wear basically the same clothes every daytime as it was more important to them to vary their evening wear. One woman told me she had even been known to change suitcases in Sydney, her home port, in order to vary her evening wear! She had such lovely clothes that actually I would have liked to see some of them two or three times.

Decide what's most important for you. For me it's enjoying myself and dancing the night away, not showing off a range of clothes - though I love looking at the dresses the other women wear.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering what's the best attire to wear when going to board. Is casual appropriate in case we have to wait too long? I don't want to dress up too much and be in high heels but also don't want to feel out of place. Be boarding QM2 in 11days at Fremantle.

I always wear a smart casual dress with 3 inch heels.

My wife disapproves, but hey, I don't complain when she wears trousers

and flat shoe's.

:D:D:D:eek:

Do ladies tend to be seen in same formal dresses over a long cruise. I am going to be stuck trying to find numerous formal and semi-formal outfits. Think I may dine in kings court some nights so as to not feel out of place. I was eager for this cruise and now packing is becoming a nightmare lol.

I am that old fashioned senior that always seems to be "dressed up" but please Tricia do not let your packing become a nightmare.

Do I wear the same dress more than once, the answer most certainly is a resounding "YES" for my upcoming 22 day cruise, I will carry 4/5 formal dresses, but I will change the look with different stoles, clutches, and necklaces, I rotate the dresses wearing each one in order, but have masses of the stoles and bags. I expect to carry at least 5 different stoles for each dress , even for bags, I often put a different glitzy brooch on the bag to alter the look. For semi formals I will have a couple of other dresses but still vary the looks with different stoles etc.

None of my formals are beaded, or fancy in themselves, (I make my own outfits, incl stoles and bags) I rely on the accessories for the glitz and bling.

I hope you will have a wonderful trip.

Lynn

• 3 weeks later...
It was much easier to dress properly when you were an Edwardian gentleman and you had a butler to pack for you. ;)

A Valet, or a Gentleman's Gentleman if you prefer. The butler would only dress the gentlemen of the house if there were a crisis to be averted.

Carson never, never irons shirts. Except perhaps his own, but even that I doubt.

>; -}>