NO- stay in McComb, MS or Hammond, LA?

CookieBird

Thinking of staying in McComb or Hammond on the night before my New Orleanss cruise. Coming down from the Midwest as a solo traveler with 2 kids and liking the idea of getting up in the morning and driving straight to the port, parking at the port. And then on the return getting in our car and going. Won't be able to enjoy NO but with 2 kids in tow after a long drive that's ok.

Any thoughts on McComb or Hammond or other locations outside NO?

Thanks!

Agree that McComb is a bit further than you want the day of... However, it was about as far as I wanted to drive from MI in one day (we ended up eating supper at 10 PM that night in McComb). So it's a balance. If you can make it further try to, but don't over exert yourself either so that you stay safe!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Agree that McComb is a bit further than you want the day of... However, it was about as far as I wanted to drive from MI in one day (we ended up eating supper at 10 PM that night in McComb). So it's a balance. If you can make it further try to, but don't over exert yourself either so that you stay safe!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We stayed in the Ramada, Metairie last month. You can park for 14 days free. They shuttle you to ship (free) & plenty of Taxi's to take you back $(25.00). It was great. Check out Trip Advisor reviews.

Hammond is at the interchange of I55/I12 on the north shore and LaPlace is at the interchange of I55/I10. LaPlace is about 25 miles south of Hammond (you cross a loooooong bridge and you are there. LaPlace is prob 25-30 miles closer than Hammond. Another option is Slidel on the eastern shore of the lake. (just take I12 east then I10 back west and it is right there). you are prob about the same distance from the port with either Slidel or LaPlace. I would prob chose Slidel myself as you won't have to deal with all the traffic coming in from the west and going through NO. Coming from the east you cross the lake, slide over the big high rise bridge and you are pretty much there.