My Cuba Cruise pre cruise in Canada

HDS

You Cuban cruisers have inspired us to take this cruise but probably not till 2015, if it is running.

To us, the most appealing way of reaching Cuba from Australia is via Toronto and we want to see something of eastern Canada on the return trip. We would try to take the final cruise of the season and extend for a few days in Cuba, returning to Toronto early April.

How's the weather in eastern Canada in early April? I expect that the museums, galleries, theatres, in the cities will be open. True??? What about historic sites, tourist sites? Can we reasonably expect to be able to drive between cities, into rural areas and along the east coast? Will passenger boats be running on the St Lawrence Seaway?

We expect low temperatures, we can cope with rain but if the roads are blocked with snow and historic sites and landforms are closed for winter, we may have to re-think.

We have enjoyed British Colombia, Alberta and Niagara Falls and hope to widen our experience

Hope you all had/are having/will have a fabulous cruise.

Edited by HDS

It's a tall order to be tourist guide and weatherman all in one but here are my comments. April is not one of our best months particularly if winter lingers which on occasion it does. However, the expression April showers, May flowers has in some years been fitting. We do get the odd snowfall in the spring although it is short lived. Museums, Cathedrals tourist outlooks and the like are for the most part open year round. Any rural tourist activity around Toronto would usually commence only in May as too the St. Lawrence small ship cruises of The Thousand Islands. In terms of driving, there are excellent roads between Toronto and Montreal a driving distance of about 5-6 hours. To proceed further, on to the Maritime Provinces and the east coast you will be looking at a two-day drive. Of course this Cuba cruise is perfect for Canadians to get away from the winter and wet spring which tells you that it is not the ideal time to pay us a visit as welcomed as you would be

For a more accurate history of our weather, here is a site that will give you history of percipitation and temperatures by month and year.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/index_e.html?txtStationName=Toronto&optLimit=yearRange&selRowPerPage=25&searchType=stnName&searchMethod=contains&Year=2013&Month=2&Day=1&timeframe=3#access

Thank you ONT-CA for your information. Just what I was looking for.

I guessed that April is not the best time to visit eastern Canada but Feb and March would be worse. I have detected a hint of longing for warmth and sun in some of the Canadian posts to the main thread.

Wish we could get away this year while the 2for1 fares are on and departures are certain.