How would you handle glacially slow MDR service

LoveyHowell

That's a pretty rude response. Come on; re-read the title of my post. You just wanted to make a nice little flame this morning. As to the answer of your questions looking for a way to "blame" me for receiving consisten subpar service I have answered those. I don't NEED to provide you with every detail as obviously you are going to have a negative opinion and not be helpful, but I did provide those details to satiate your own curiosity. Do you have anything useful to add?

Lovey, you're right, that was rude and I apologize. I don't believe that there is a way to change the amount of the DSC nor do I think that would solve the issue as it seems to be more related to the ship and not to any particular staff member. I agree with your concept of paying the DSC and tipping extra for great service and that is what I usually do. ALL of the cruise lines pay their staff poorly, that's probably the only way they can make the cruise profitable with what is provided. I would suggest that you speak directly to the hotel director. They are usually responsive. If that doesn't work I would guess you'd have to escalate the matter further, but I wonder if it's really worth all the bother. Say hello to Thurston for me. :)

On my last cruise we had excessively long MDR dinners, often 2.5 hours, approaching 3 in some cases. We did advise our wait staff of planned evening events and a desire for a faster pace but it never happened. MDR staff are cordial but inefficient. This, I feel, is managements fault. They do not supply an adequate level of staff. I did talk to a head waiter who was understanding and apologetic, yet unable to do anything. I don't believe he was unwilling to do so, just unable and limited by resources.

Am considering removing DSC in the future as I find the service sub par in MDR. On the one hand I know my tips are basicallyhow the waiters get paid BC the cruise line does not pay well, on the other hand I feel like I'm paying full service charge for poor service. Maybe its not fair to penalize the wait staff? I haven't made up my mind as I don't want people to not be paid for their hard work, but I believe NCL is sticking me with the payroll bill and providing lackluster service.

And before anyone suggests, I don't think I should need to go to an up charge restaurant each night to get adequate service. If the DSC is removed is it all or nothing? I may prefer it be adjusted downwards to reflect the service level provided but not $0. Much like a land based restaurant I anticipate to tip a certain amount when entering but adjust up or down based on services rendered, I do not subscribe to the notion that simply being nice means I need to tip well if the service is actually poor.

When you receive sub par service on NCL what have you done about it?

MDR service on the Dawn and Sun averaged 45 minutes For my party... 2.5 hours I would have walked out.. Thats to dang long

Many of you are right; I DO need to write to NCL and voice my concerns. That is something I *WILL* do this week. It is a good option. Land based management needs to recognize and understand these concerns.

I do not feel that any NCL vacation I ever was on was cut rate or that I was expecting to receive less than other cruise lines. I have sailed 1X on Celebrity, and a handful of times on both Carnival and Royal. I am not a blind loyalist to any brand name (vacation or otherwise). I am looking for value and to get what I pay for. That doesn't mean cheapest.

Again, it's not my desire to hurt the hard working staff, but I also feel like I'm not getting what I paid for when service is unacceptably poor, nor should I have to compromise my dining in order to see the provided entertainment. I think maybe part of the problem is so many people leave full DSC on and never address issues with management (onboard or land based) and so NCL will keep cutting and cutting and cutting as long as they can get away with it.

I've, on the whole, enjoyed my NCL cruises; I like their ships, their staff, and I have a nice vacation. I don't want to keep using NCL however if the experience is going to be worse and worse each time. Once I am onboard the ship it is too late for NCL to overpromise and underdeliver and when faced with bad service I will have to take corrective measures.

It really is a tough spot to be in because NCL (and other / all cruise lines) basically use the wait staff as a human shield. The poor service is by management design, but any reaction by the guest only hurts the wait staff and not management. I wish there was a better way and am open to all suggestions.

Lovey, you're right, that was rude and I apologize. I don't believe that there is a way to change the amount of the DSC nor do I think that would solve the issue as it seems to be more related to the ship and not to any particular staff member. I agree with your concept of paying the DSC and tipping extra for great service and that is what I usually do. ALL of the cruise lines pay their staff poorly, that's probably the only way they can make the cruise profitable with what is provided. I would suggest that you speak directly to the hotel director. They are usually responsive. If that doesn't work I would guess you'd have to escalate the matter further, but I wonder if it's really worth all the bother. Say hello to Thurston for me. :)

I appreciate your response and interaction, as well as apology to me. That is a stand up decision on your part. The rest of what you said makes great sense. Thurston is still sleeping; it has been sad since we recently lost the Professor. Without his coconut radio we will never be rescued...

A few years ago we were on the Spirit and asked the Maitre'D if we could sit at the same table every night at the same time because we liked our server. He argued with us and told us no then we had a conversation with the director and he granted our request. The Maitre'D and his asst refused to even acknowledge us for the rest of the cruise (He would make it obvious as he approached our section) so we went down to guest relations and cut him out of the DSC (kept the amount the same so the rest would get more) and then gave our server a generous tip at the end cause she took some heat from the maitre'D also. (so she told us at the end) Also a letter was sent to NCL headquarters about the incident.

MDR service on the Dawn and Sun averaged 45 minutes For my party... 2.5 hours I would have walked out.. Thats to dang long

I would love such speedy and efficient service. And please, do understand, I enjoy MDR food (I find it tasty and well prepared). I do enjoy sitting and chatting / relaxing. But when you want to get to certain events at night that relaxation turns to frustration and anxiety about why is it taking so long?? If I get up and walk out who is the one really losing out?

The reasons I did not walk out is I would then be in a scramble to decide between nightly entertainment or scarfing down food at the buffet; not my idea of freestyle or what I had bargained for quite honestly.

I am quite understanding of service snafus and glitches and abnormalities. I do not sit and write notes in order to critique, and I do not argue with staff, etc. My last cruise was many months ago on Epic. I was on CC for many years with a different name but due to a nutjob on a Carnival cruise roll call I made a new name and now mostly lurk. I get a ton of information from CC and post only when I have specific questions.

Thanks everyone for opinions and participation, happy cruising to all.

Not paying your bills isn't the answer.

And the DSC IS a bill that needs to be paid.

I have paid my bill otherwise I would not be allowed to board the ship. DSC is a service charge to compensate (tip) for services rendered. Great service deserves more. Good service deserves the DSC amount. Bad service deserves what exactly? How would a luddite (I think it's great a luddite is on the internet:D) handle this sort of issue?

I would have too, but as MedTech stated, I would have informed someone in management why I had left.

It's amazing to me how many people on this thread feel that this slow service is just fine because they enjoy a leisurely meal and somehow make their post sound like everyone else should enjoy this too.

I don't begrudge those the enjoyment they feel sitting over their dinner table for an eternity. If it makes them happy fine. But some don't feel that is enjoyable and would rather go on to something they would enjoy more.

For the same reason some people like Beethoven and other's like Garth Brooks. :rolleyes:

OP seriously? Thinking of removing the DSC from future cruises, when the problem was in the past? Sorry but that to me just doesn't make sense. If the problem is the present, then deal in the present. I'm not advocating removing the DSC, since a lot of crew work hard to try and make your vacation enjoyable and obviously you know little about large corporations if you think a few people removing the DSC will make the crew go to management and demand something be done and even if they did that it would do any good. Not going to happen.

You've already stated that you didn't think it was the crews fault. So take your complaint to the ones who can do something about it, either the Restaurant manager, the HD. After your cruise to NCL corporate themselves.

I really feel if this happened that you have a complaint, I just don't feel you are directing it in the right direction.

Edited by che5904

I have paid my bill otherwise I would not be allowed to board the ship. DSC is a service charge to compensate (tip) for services rendered. Great service deserves more. Good service deserves the DSC amount. Bad service deserves what exactly? How would a luddite (I think it's great a luddite is on the internet:D) handle this sort of issue?

Actually, no.

The DSC is how the crew gets paid. It isn't a tip, A tip is anything you give them after paying the DSC.

Once you understand that the DSC is simply an unadvertised cost of the trip your experience will improve.

Thank you for your understanding. I did not see your reply as I was typing mine, but this sums it up well. I'm not looking to cheat the system, I am looking at how to best get the services I should be getting. If removal or reduction of DSC is the best way, it is an avenue I will take. If there is another more optimal way, I would look at those options.

First of I think you are asking to much , 60 minute for dinner is like fast food dining . I would not be happy with being that rushed .

To get the best service.

You will find the majority of servers to be from the Philippines ( it sez nationality on there name tags )

At little Basic filipino goes a long way .

Start with a greeting of =

Magandang gabi = good evening

Magandang umanga = good morning

Magandang tanghali = good afternoon

end with

Salamat = Thank you

I can guaranty you will get a little better service but dinner could take a little longer as you chat up a new friend. :)

J.M.H.O.

Actually, no.

The DSC is how the crew gets paid. It isn't a tip, A tip is anything you give them after paying the DSC.

Once you understand that the DSC is simply an unadvertised cost of the trip your experience will improve.

Please help me understand. Firstly, the staff are paid a weekly salary, are they not? Therefore the DSC is a tip. If a cabin steward has X number of cabins that all have 4 guests, they would receive 4 DSC's from each cabin. If those cabins had solo guests they would receive 4X less tips, however their weekly salary remains constant. Of course I recognize that the staff make a good portion of money from tips, but it is NOT their sole salary.

Anything in life that is discretionary is not mandatory. And I don't see anyone telling solo cruisers that they screwed the staff, or anyone telling couples that they should fill cabins to max occupancy otherwise they are screwing the staff salary. The cruise line pays the salary, my DSC is the tips. I am happy to leave DSC in place for good service.

Please help me understand. Firstly, the staff are paid a weekly salary, are they not? Therefore the DSC is a tip. If a cabin steward has X number of cabins that all have 4 guests, they would receive 4 DSC's from each cabin. If those cabins had solo guests they would receive 4X less tips, however their weekly salary remains constant. Of course I recognize that the staff make a good portion of money from tips, but it is NOT their sole salary.

Anything in life that is discretionary is not mandatory. And I don't see anyone telling solo cruisers that they screwed the staff, or anyone telling couples that they should fill cabins to max occupancy otherwise they are screwing the staff salary. The cruise line pays the salary, my DSC is the tips. I am happy to leave DSC in place for good service.

No. It is apparent that you do not understand how the system works.

No they are paid Weakly! The are not under the us flag, so therefore the make pennies an hour and depend on tips. The DSC is spit between everyone, even people behind the scenes that you have absolutely no contact with. Your room steward is lucky if he gets a quarter a day from that $12 DSC.

From NCL website:

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

No. It is apparent that you do not understand how the system works.

So then please explain it. I feel I understand it but you seem to feel I am completely wrong. I do not think anything I said is factually inaccurate. If it is, please tell me so. I am more than willing to listen to your point of view. NCL themselves say the D part of DSC is "Discretionary".

Your room steward is lucky if he gets a quarter a day from that $12 DSC.

Wow! I am shocked to learn that. I hope it is not true. I thought that the room stewards received between $3-$4 per person, per day, of the DSC. 25 cents is unconscionable and almost not believable. I am not saying you are lying or wrong, but I do hope that is NOT the case, at least I am reading it as you saying they get 25 cents and not 25% of the DSC (which seems more likely).

To get the best service.

You will find the majority of servers to be from the Philippines ( it sez nationality on there name tags )

At little Basic filipino goes a long way .

Start with a greeting of =

Magandang gabi = good evening

Magandang umanga = good morning

Magandang tanghali = good afternoon

end with

Salamat = Thank you

I can guaranty you will get a little better service but dinner could take a little longer as you chat up a new friend. :)

J.M.H.O.

Very true also the room stewards

With all the Filipino crew, I wish they would serve some pancit or a good adobo

To The OP

sorry to hear of the slow service

I have never experienced that long for a dinner in the MDR unless we were at a big table and were in no rush

When were on the Epic ,the last time, we told our waiter we had a show to make.

They seemed to make a concerted effort to get us out of there quicker

Edited by jonbgd

So then please explain it. I feel I understand it but you seem to feel I am completely wrong. I do not think anything I said is factually inaccurate. If it is, please tell me so. I am more than willing to listen to your point of view. NCL themselves say the D part of DSC is "Discretionary".

Lovey, you are wasting your time. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. Most people don't care what it is called. You can call it Discretionary Service Charge, you can call it cruise worker wages, you can call it Little Bunny Foo Foo if you want. Most people think of it as tips.

I don't think of it as my job to pay the cruise workers wages. I give it little to no thought at all when I cruise. However, short of a huge iceberg ruining my vacation I wouldn't ever consider reducing the $12 bucks a day.

Just my two cents worth. Now I'm off to start cooking terribly unhealthy snack foods and dip for the Super Bowl. :D

Wow! I am shocked to learn that. I hope it is not true. I thought that the room stewards received between $3-$4 per person, per day, of the DSC. 25 cents is unconscionable and almost not believable. I am not saying you are lying or wrong, but I do hope that is NOT the case, at least I am reading it as you saying they get 25 cents and not 25% of the DSC (which seems more likely).

Well I guess it would depend on how many people are paid from the dsc. Also from the ncl site it states some undisclosed amount of money from the dsc goes towards "wellness programs" for the crew so that's another amount taken away.

Very true also the room stewards

With all the Filipino crew, I wish they would serve some pancit or a good adobo

Thank you for quoting the Filipino quotes. That is fantastic. My grandfather self-taught himself different dialects of Indian and Chinese language during WWII and always used to address various wait staff in their native tongue and would teach some to me as well. I remember the way their faces would light up. That is a great tip.