From Balconies to Interiors

dduckieg

Hello cruisers! This is my first post so please forgive if I am not filling out info properly. I have been on four cruises thus far, all in balconies. I am torn between two ships....please help

Carnival Dream balcony or Carnival Breeze Interior (due to budget)

My question more so is: Is it hard to go from a Balcony only experience to an interior stateroom? Truthfully, not much time spent in rooms on past cruises, but love looking out and not feeling "closed in" when I am in the room. Will I miss my balcony? Love to hear others experiences?

Thanks all!!:D

I had balconies, then an ocean view, then an interior. I loved it! It was on deck 10 and the lido deck chairs and pool were 20 steps away! We used the extra money for shore excursions and drinks onboard.

It depends on location and time however. Do you spend lots of time in the room? How much? If you only use it to change, sleep, and shower, then an interior is for you. If you use it to read, eat, talk and do all that, then a balcony is better for you.

Get an interior closer to the elevators and/or by the pool.

Good luck, hoped this helped and happy cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We had always cruised in balcony cabins until we had a family reunion cruise on the paradise. We all booked oceanview, our cabin on deck two. We loved having the big window and found we could actually cruise in an oceanview. Our next cruise was a28 day Mediterranean -transatlantic cruise on the sunshine last October, again deck two oceanview. We loved it and vow to do it again. If we wanted to sit in a quiet space we just went up one deck to the outside and chilled there. I'm doing a solo in May, sisters have a cabin but I opted for my own, inside, I guess it'll work for just me but hubby says oceanview. We found we spent more time enjoying the public spaces more. Personal preference. You'll get a lot of differing opinions and it depends if you just want tons of quiet time. Whatever your choice, cruising in any cabin better then being home.

We have not personally ever sailed in a balcony stateroom; always an interior but on Freedom of the Seas in October, my parents had a balcony and it was nice to visit but I did not miss it when I returned to sleep in my interior cabin. My parents even said they are not sure they would book the balcony again given the price difference.

Personally, I like the inside cabin. Not only for the price savings but I love how dark it gets - makes for some great sleep.

Oh, welcome to Cruise Critic. There is a plethora of information to be had here. Be sure to come back and tell us about your cruise :)

Edited by jmak315

My husband's favorite place on the ship is his balcony. He doesn't want to cruise any other way.....he spends a lot of time out there reading and enjoying the view. He prefers his own space to ANY public sitting area (and it IS nice when we have little ones who nap or go to bed early.....he always volunteers to babysit).

Personally, I spend a lot of time following the kids around...watching them in the pool or doing activities. I don't spend a lot of time in the room other than sleeping and getting ready to go somewhere else. While I enjoy the balcony especially when we're coming into/going out of a port (so I can people watch) it would never be worth the extra $ for those short periods.

I wish he would consider an interior......I'd rather cruise more often......but it's our compromise.......

Our first cruise (Liberty) we had a balcony. It was our 25 year anniversary and a dream trip come true. Then we got addicted to cruising. Being from Canada and having to tack on high airfares, the only possible way we can cruise is to go inside. We have gone on 3 more cruises in inside cabins. Once with our oldest daughter (19, then) and once with both daughters (19 - 20 then) and then on our own on the breeze last year. We totally don't mind inside cabins - it means whether we cruise or not! There was plenty of room for 4, 3 and 2 people! I did not care if I could see out.... On the breeze though, there are a few private type decks, you can get to through secret doors on deck 10 past the spa.. and you can go out there for sail away or just to sit or hang out.. they are not well known and were a bit hard to find - but just go up all the halls on deck 10 and you will find these doors.. that say exit.and go through them!!! You can hang there if you want some balcony time!

I'm booked in an inside room on the Breeze over spring break....and this is after coming off the Disney Fantasy concierge level in August.

I think it'll be fine, we rarely even use the balcony, and I have a back to back concierge sailing on DCL again in October. The money had to come from somewhere.

I usually get my daughter and her friend their own inside, and I've always thought that they seem cozy and will be very nice and dark for sleeping. We'll soon find out.

I've been in several insides - I'd rather save the money on an inside & use it for more cruising, port excursions, etc.

I've never said or thought, "I wish I had a balcony." or "If I had a balcony..."

With that said, I just booked a room with French Doors on Carnival Pride - same size room as a balcony, but the lifeboats are where the balcony would be. We can open the curtains for light & the door for a breeze...

It's really a personal choice, some people live the balconies and wouldn't be without one. Others can be inside, outside, balcony and font care. It's about what's important yo you. We prefer interior spa staterooms on cloud 9 ships. The extra $$ is worth it to us because we love the spa amenities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess the real question is, do you really use the balcony? We've had a balcony on every cruise we've taken with the exception of Baltic Sea and Asian cruises when we went for a window only. Perhaps we are the exception, but we use the balcony daily and particularly enjoy it at sunset time and at night as well as throughout the day. Certainly if one never, or seldom uses a balcony, why pay for it. If you cruise on the Breeze, you might check the cost of a cove balcony, but certainly if your budget won't allow this either, an interior room should serve you very nicely.

We've done both. I'm not picky, i'll take anything. The balcony was nice but truth me told we werent out there much and we werent in our room much so for our next cruise we went back to the interior. We actually sleep a lot better in the interior, its so dark and quiet, no slamming balcony doors. Not sure if all ships are the same but my goodness, on the pride those balcony doors are LOUD when they close. All morning long i heard slamming doors and was thinking that I kind of miss my sleep in the interior! Don't get me wrong, the balcony was a nice addition but we only booked it because we got it for $200 more total. I wouldn't pay a big price difference for it. Just put me anywhere on the ship and i'm happy.

Whether you decide on the Dream or the Breeze, you cannot go wrong as they are both great ships!

My question is are the itineraries you are deciding between both the same length? Because if the Dream is a 7-Day but the Breeze is a 6-Day, I'd go with the Dream + you get your balcony and an extra day of cruising. If your looking at the Breeze 8-day, go with THAT even if it has to be booked originally in an interior.

Then, if I were you, I'd watch the prices of ocean view and cove balcony's, etc to see if you may end up being able to upgrade to one or the other for a small fee! :)

Good LUCK!

The Dream and the Breeze are sister ships with identical size and layouts. So it's really a question of itinerary versus cabin preference. We had the same dilemma except it was the Breeze versus the Freedom. We chose the Freedom with a balcony. But that's because we use it so much. I sit on the balcony and read my book. My husband and I often sit on the balcony and sip wine. :D We even eat breakfast out there. And I love people watching, especially the last minute pier runners. ;) Yes I know there will be people saying you can go up on deck to people watch or see sail away or departure. But there's something to be said about having your own private little space to watch without being elbowed or stepped on by others. We've found that since we've done so many cruises that we really research our ports and find cool new things to do in them. Like Nassau for instance. We've been there lots of times and we weren't too excited about getting off the ship. :( So I found a great local tour operator that took us on segways through the beach, Forrest areas, and ranch land. It was a blast and only cost $65!!! So if you do the less than exciting itinerary just make it fun by trying new stuff. :)

I think this question depends greatly on who you are as a cruiser. For my family we started with Oceanviews went to a balcony (12 day hawaii) then to interiors. For us, it is more about being on the ship then being in our rooms. Though for some they enjoy to peace and tranquility of their own balcony. My only real regret on the interiors is the Alaska cruise, I would of preferred a balcony there but I still would not let that come between actually going on a cruise or not.

When we had the balcony we only used it for less then one hour the whole cruise. My brother in law and I got yelled at for smoking a cigar by some one on another balcony. We only did that once for just a few minutes, while the ship was in port thinking most people would not be on the ship at that time. Outside of that, it made a lousy storage closet for our oversized luggage.

Our first cruise we had an oceanview cabin. Every other cruise we have been on we've had a balcony. We really enjoy the balcony. I enjoy sitting out there first thing in the morning while the rest of my family is still sleeping, watching the ship come in and out of ports, and sitting out there late at night. We have found that we spend more time in our cabin when we have the balcony.

That being said, this year, we are cruising on the Fantasy. This ship does not have balcony's unless you book a suite (which we couldn't afford to do). We are booked in an oceanview cabin, and I'm sure it will be fine. Like others have said, we will just end up spending more time in the public areas this time around.

... not much time spent in rooms on past cruises, but love looking out and not feeling "closed in" when I am in the room. Will I miss my balcony? Love to hear others experiences?

I've heard people say that in order to conquer the closed-in feeling, when they go to bed at night (in an interior cabin) they tune the TV to the bridge camera channel and mute the sound. It is dark for navigation, but in the morning there will be a picture window view from the TV. I'll try that sometime.

Hello cruisers! This is my first post so please forgive if I am not filling out info properly. I have been on four cruises thus far, all in balconies. I am torn between two ships....please help

My question more so is: Is it hard to go from a Balcony only experience to an interior stateroom? Truthfully, not much time spent in rooms on past cruises, but love looking out and not feeling "closed in" when I am in the room. Will I miss my balcony? Love to hear others experiences?

We have had insides, ocean views, and balconies....switching back and forth between all three. We choose based on our budget for that trip and the ship we are sailing. We went from a balcony with an inside for the kids on Carnival Glory to 2 side by side insides on Epic. Price was the deciding factor. While I prefer a balcony, I would not hesitate to book an inside if we were set on a specific ship and cost was a factor. We did insides/ocean views with 4 people on our first 6 cruises. After getting two rooms for the 4 of us on our 7th, the one thing I will never go back to is one room for 4. Whether those rooms are insides, ocean view, balconies or a mix is dependent on our budget.

Depending on the itinerary I would choose the Breeze over the Dream. The Breeze has a little nicer decor plus Guys Burgers and the ropes course. Both have the same water park. We had the Deluxe Ocean view on the Dream (the larger one with extra partial bath) and on the Breeze had initially booked an interior on Deck 10 (Early Saver) but after some price drops we were able to move to a cove balcony. I have lucked out before from booking early interior and be able to upgrade with the price drop savings or promos. We will be on interior on Sunshine next month but have not had any luck on upgrades yet.

If youre on a budget go inside as you said you dont spend much time in the room.

If one thing you liked about your balcony was the ability to look out, then consider an oceanview. We went from an interior to an oceanview to a balcony to an oceanview in our past 4 cruises. While I did miss the balcony a little in our last oceanview, I wouldn't hesitate to book an oceanview again for the price. For me personally I could not go back to an inside because I like being able to look out and I like having the outside light in my room. Not everyone is like that though because some people like the pitch dark - I don't. But if an oceanview isn't in your budget, and you really want the Breeze itinerary, give the inside a try so you can know in future whether or not you could cruise in one again.