Ginger capsules/tablets do they work?

CruzeBoozer

I discovered that ginger works great for me! I just got the ginger capsules in the vitamin/supplements area at the grocery store. I took one every morning on our cruise. I ended up with a sinus infection this week that affected my ears and I got vertigo and a little motion sickness. I took a ginger capsule and within 5-10 minutes I felt so much better. I took Bonine on my cruise too and discovered after a few days that even taking only 1 at night before bed, I was still groggy the next day. From now on, it's just ginger for me and I'll just keep Bonine as an emergency backup.

Ginger helps me a little, but green apples do more. Also if you are prone to heartburn, the ginger can make that worse.

I always have a gamut of stronger remedies with me in case of rough seas, but swear by the green apples. I think the crew use them too, as that was who first advised me to try them - my cabin steward on the Century. He even got me a small bowl of them to keep in the cabin.

I asked a buffet worker if he could get me a few green apples when I was on the Inspiration on a pacific coastal cruise last spring. These cruises tend to have rough seas. I had not seen any green apples in the buffet and I always keep a sharp eye out for them. He told me they were all out of green apples - and pantomimed a sad crying face / wiping away tears.

Whatever seasickness medicine you choose, if any, try it before you cruise.

The last place you want to discover that a supplement or medicine does not agree with your system is when trying it for the first time when you're already on vacation. Check it out well before your sailing date so that you'll know about any side effects before you cruise.

This is more important with the stronger sea sickness medicines but it seems logical that it would even apply to those that commonly have little or no side effects as not everyone reacts the same. I had a friend who thought he was suffering from severe sea sickness, despite taking meds, for two days on a cruise. He went to see the ship's doctor and found out he was suffering from side effects of his sea sickness meds. He was fine after the side effects wore off but it ruined half of the seven night cruise.

Edited by Lsimon

We also swear by ginger pills. We always take a bottle with us and share them with friends that become queasy. We started them after seeing a segment of the TV show, Myth Busters. It tested several non-prescription remedies. Ginger pills and the Relief Band did the best. We have both, but don't need the Relief Band any more. It is the one with batteries that pulses on your wrist. It works very well when you forget to take the ginger, since it works quickly.

There is also a wonderful all natural product on the market called MotionEaze that can be found all around. DH and I have been using this for years. I more so then him, but we both swear by it. I have used it not only for ships/boats, but on planes, and even in cars when I am not the driver and sitting in the back. As for DH - I have to be careful what he takes due to the types of medications he takes, other over the counter pill medications can have an adverse reaction.

I went on line and copied what the product description read on Amazon:

Product Description

MotionEaze is an incredibly effective motion sickness treatment. Whether you want to prevent occasional motion sickness or stop the symptoms after the fact, MotionEaze does the job. No matter if it’s sea sickness, car sickness, air sickness or any other activity where motion poses a problem, MotionEaze really works! How it works: The symptoms of motion sickness begin in the inner ear. When MotionEaze oil is applied just behind each ear lobe, the oil is absorbed through the skin and the active ingredients travel to, and calm, the inner ear. In turn, this relieves the symptoms. No pills to take when you are nauseous, the last thing you want to do is put something in your stomach-even a pill. MotionEaze is an oil that is applied to the skin just behind the ear. It’s perfect for children that have problems taking pills.

You can also find this product at bait shops or marinas too.

Also here is the link to their website: http://motioneaze.com/motioneaze/motion-sickness-relief/

Hope this helps.

Like previous posters I have found starting prior (about a week) to the cruise with ginger pills works well. Also as mentioned before ginger may cause heartburn so I take my ginger pills midway through a meal. Plus I add in ginger powder to our regular meals prior to a trip. During a cruise I look for the Asian section of the buffet, many will have sliced chilled ginger root available as a side dish.

Now this is coming from a US Navy retired sailor who got seasick during my almost 20 year navy career! I have used them all and the one that works most effective (for me) is Mecclizine which I believe is similar to Bonnine I believe. dramamine always made me drousy and the patch always made me dry and thirsty. I haven't had any side effects from Mecclizine at all. Tastes almost like a St. Joesph asprin.

The risks of ginger are minimal. I give it to patients all the time.

- Joel

Ann Pharmacother. 2000 Dec;34(12):1478-82.

Interactions of warfarin with garlic, ginger, ginkgo, or ginseng: nature of the evidence.

Vaes LP, Chyka PA.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Good to know - thanks!