Tortola w/Carnival Legend 7AM <-> 2PM.. speedy's to baths?

mlandman

Hi,

Searching the forum I read a bunch of stories with people with the same concern as I, but little re: follow up from people who may have tried it, so I wanted to see if anyone has some success stories....:

Would love to go to the Virgin Gonda Baths.

Looks like Speedy's has a 12:30 back to Tortola --- I figure I'll be back in Tortola ~ 1:15/1:20. Then it's a 10 minute walk to the cruise ship, so if ALL GOES WELL then I'm back on the boat by 1:30, which is what they 'require' (departs @ 2pm).

I suppose I'm answering my own question. If all goes well/on time, I'm OK, but if there are any delays more than 15 minutes I'm probably in trouble.

So.... my question is.... has anyone used Speedy's to go to the baths, for a cruise ship that leaves @ 2pm? And if so, what was the result? Did everything go as planned? Is the schedule different than what I describe above? Are there other operators at the ferry pier @ the baths that can take us back to Tortola in the event that Speedy's breaks down and can't leave @ 12:30?

Thanks!

-mike

what ferry transport does CARNIVAL use?

From what I hear, if a CARNIVAL BOOKED EXCURSION runs late, they hold the ship. So..... assuming others on the ship are taking the same excursion..... if I use the same ferry as they do, then I should be in luck!

I guess if Carnival uses their OWN *private* transport ferry then maybe I'm out of luck. However, if they use Speedy's or Smith's, then it seems I would be in business.....?

Has anyone done this trip *through carnival* when stationed from 7am - 2pm? If so, *which ferry did it take*?

Thanks,

-mike

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any ideas on this one, re: what carnival uses for a ferry?

what ferry transport does CARNIVAL use?

From what I hear, if a CARNIVAL BOOKED EXCURSION runs late, they hold the ship. So..... assuming others on the ship are taking the same excursion..... if I use the same ferry as they do, then I should be in luck!

I guess if Carnival uses their OWN *private* transport ferry then maybe I'm out of luck. However, if they use Speedy's or Smith's, then it seems I would be in business.....?

Has anyone done this trip *through carnival* when stationed from 7am - 2pm? If so, *which ferry did it take*?

Thanks,

-mike

I just did this. Carnival books its own private ferry.

I wanted to do this excursion on my own, but because of the short port day I did not want to take a chance. If you miss that 12:30 ferry back to Tortola..your out of luck.

The only good thing about the ship excursion is that if its late, the ship waits for them.

I too had come to the conclusion that it was probably too risky time-wise to do on your own if the cruiseship leaves @ 2pm sharp. :(

I booked yesterday through Carnival, and to my surprise, they have 2 schedules available lol!!

one that leaves @ 7:30 AM and returns @ 11:45, and one that leaves at 8:15 AM and returns @ 12:30. Now that seems unneccessarily close!

If they're booking their own private charter/ferry, couldn't they have come back @ 1 or 1:30?

I booked the early one, hoping to see if it's possible to *get a ride back with the late one* (i.e. return @ 12:30 instead of 11:45).

I wonder if they will accomodate that?

-mike

Mike

They have 2 times because they really fill that ferry up both times. Its a popular excursion. Last year, they had 3 times! Im sure they dont want to get everyone back late. They have to leave a window for the unexpected. Thats why they come back earlier.

I went on the 2nd shift this time. We got back close to 1pm. Later than usual. Read my trip report on this excursion. It was great, but we did hit the beginning of a tropical depression.

I had the same idea about coming back with the later ferry last year. They are pretty adament about going back at your required time. I mean, you can try, but it could be a big inconvenience. Can you imagine if everyone had the same idea? No one would go back at their appropriate time and the last bus to the ferry would not accomodate all the people. Im sure it happens. Thats why they leave early. They will make runs back and forth to ferry, but the wait time would be much longer on the ferry while they go back to get the overload of ppl. Thats the reason, Im sure, the last ferry comes back before 1pm, in the event of stragglers. The ship wants to leave on time.

Have a great time..Let me know how you did. Bring your snorkel gear & fins. The water visibility is outstanding.

Looks like Speedy's has a 12:30 back to Tortola --- I figure I'll be back in Tortola ~ 1:15/1:20. Then it's a 10 minute walk to the cruise ship, so if ALL GOES WELL then I'm back on the boat by 1:30, which is what they 'require' (departs @ 2pm).

-mike

If your time in Tortola is limited, I would definitely take the ship's tour. We did this on our own on the Star Princess. The 12:30 Speedy's ferry was late and we did not depart Virgin Gorda until 1:15.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what the cost of the Carnival Legend tour to Virgin Gorda is? I've read that it is $79? That's pretty costly since to do it on your own is only about $30 :eek: and you only have about 2 hrs. at the Baths. Since the ship leaves at 2 P.M. , earlier than most other ships :mad: I don't want to take the chance on doing it on our own so i guess we are stuck with Carnival's tour- seems like they know you have no choice and really overcharge!

Thanks, I've tried to check on Carnival's website but can't seem to find where

the prices are listed.

Once you register and complete your "Fun Pass" by entering your "Booking number" on the CCL website it will allow you to look at the excursions and also view the prices...But only after you complete both the above...

Its $79 per person. :eek:

Thats why I wanted to do it on my own..but, they really have you by the tail cause its very risky to do it on your own. As previously mentioned, the ferry was late and that could leave you standing on the dock waving the Legend goodbye. Ive seen pilot boats drop off people that didnt make the ship.. I wonder how much that cost!!

Better to be safe.

Archived