Fog

Shipbound

Galveston is actually a premier port for Carnival. A lot of people sail out of Galveston, that is the reason they have one of the newest boats(Magic). It is really a good place to sail out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Guess that answers my question.

Gary

Galveston is actually a premier port for Carnival. A lot of people sail out of Galveston, that is the reason they have one of the newest boats(Magic). It is really a good place to sail out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really? I'm not doubting your answer, but kinda tilting my head to it.

I'm cruising out of Galveston for the first time this November and so far I've encountered higher airfare, ridiculous transportation prices, high hotel cost, potential fog, and TX rules about booze.

I guess it makes sense for people who live around the area, but from my perspective, unless this port impressed in person or the Magic has some really good rates........probably won't be doing Galveston again. But.............I save that final decision for when I actually get there.

I'm cruising out of Galveston for the first time this November and so far I've encountered higher airfare, ridiculous transportation prices, high hotel cost, potential fog, and TX rules about booze.

all true. galveston is rather far from both major airports in houston, hence the transportation, and galveston is a bit of a 'resort' destination itself and always has something going on - and the tabc liquor rules are archaic and getting even more strict.

BUT, the ships sailing out of galveston really are for the drive-in cruisers. there is a HUGE population in texas alone, plus all the states close enough to drive in.

when i sailed triumph, i could count the number of people NOT from texas on my two hands, and they had also driven in - from oklahoma, louisiana, etc. sailings out of galveston also typically sell for a premium, significantly more than say cruises from florida and other ports, given this high demand, which is also why carnival has increased capacity by porting magic (highest capacity ship), and triumph (larger than fantasy class, as our 4-5 day ship) here.

all true. galveston is rather far from both major airports in houston, hence the transportation, and galveston is a bit of a 'resort' destination itself and always has something going on - and the tabc liquor rules are archaic and getting even more strict.

BUT, the ships sailing out of galveston really are for the drive-in cruisers. there is a HUGE population in texas alone, plus all the states close enough to drive in.

when i sailed triumph, i could count the number of people NOT from texas on my two hands, and they had also driven in - from oklahoma, louisiana, etc. sailings out of galveston also typically sell for a premium, significantly more than say cruises from florida and other ports, given this high demand, which is also why carnival has increased capacity by porting magic (highest capacity ship), and triumph (larger than fantasy class, as our 4-5 day ship) here.

Well it was the cheapest rate for the three ships we wanted 2 years ago when I booked it at about $760pp for a 4J. But, I probably could have flown to FL and paid the prices for the Breeze and came out even. Welp, I'm glad that people in the Gulf have a nice port and cruise ships to go on. We can't all win. Maybe, I'll feel more at home in TX, since I'm from VA.

I had always ruled out Galveston in the past due to the higher airfare into Houston. A recent Southwest sale combined with a no-solo supplement offering by Carnival aligned correctly and I am looking forward to a new port and new ship.

Never had a fog issue on any of my previous cruises out of Galveston..

We've sailed out of Galveston more than 20 times and had 3 fog delays. The longest delay on the Carnival Magic in January 2012 was not a big deal because Carnival kept us informed by e-mail, phone and texts. We just stayed at home and arrived at the pier at the appointed hour, boarded quickly, and the ship sailed at 3:45am when we were sleeping. We made our first port 1 hour late, but they extended our stay by an hour to make up for it. Also gave everyone an OBC as a lunch credit since our first meal on board was dinner.

2 previous cruises on RCCL there was zero communication and we got there and had to endure a 3 hour line of cars to get into the parking lot.

Lots of people from AZ, CA, MN, IL, WI sail from Galveston as it is the closest place for them to get a W. Caribbean cruise without having to fly to Florida.

Galveston is a destination in itself. We rent a bay house there every summer and the whole family gets together for a week of sun, boating and swimming.

From what I read Galveston has a lot of fog issues during the winter months getting into and leaving the port so why does Carnival have Galveston as a port for their cruises? It seems to me it is a hit or miss in that port.

Gary

The reason they sail out of Galveston is because they know that they can fill the ship for a reasonable price which is why they have the Magic there. Fog is also a problem in Tampa and Jacksonville. Why does Carnival sail out of there???

Edited by christmas

Galveston is my homeport (I live in Oklahoma, it's a 9 hour drive) and I've cruised from there 14 times with only one fog delay.

I rarely pay more than $90 per night for a hotel, on the Magic in October my hotel was only $57 per night.

The only real drawback to me is if you are flying in the trip to the island is about an hour. Even though I think everyone should experience Galveston by coming in a day early, it might be more economical to stay in Houston, close to the airport and take the Carnival shuttle to the ship on embarkation day.

Fog is a problem all along the Gulf Coast at this time of year. Even in the Florida ports so you can't dismiss a port because there is a chance a few of the cruises may have a problem returning or leaving due to fog. Here in Mobile this morning the fog is so thick you can't see the downtown buildings from the Interstate. It is just a part of life here. If you don't want to take the chance of fog during your cruise then you should just avoid cruising this time of year. New Orleans sometimes has problems with the river being closed due to a boat accident, oil spill, etc. I don't think the cruise lines should drop it just because there may be an occasional delay.

Do your research before booking and know what might affect your cruise.