Just Curious -- what's the deal with the 'Captain's Table'?

Leo Jay

31 years ago on the original Pacific Princess and Island Princess (Love Boat fame) I wore my Navy dress uniform on formal night. My wife and I went through the receiving line and met Capt. Creighton who remarked that I looked just like one of his officers. The next morning we received an invitation to dine with him at the Captain's Table the following evening and it was quite special. Both the food and service was a step above the norm. Sadly, we do not see the Captain's dining in the main dining rooms anymore. We now have enough cruise loyalty points to qualify on some sailings to have lunch with the Captain and his staff and 30 or so other guests who also have a number of cruises under their belts. Those luncheons are phenomenal from both the culinary (food and service) and social aspects as we have been in the gracious company of the Captain's Circle Hostess, the Future Cruise Lady, the Cruise Director, and the Doctor. The other passengers seated with us have always been so interesting. We have our fingers crossed each sailing that we will be fortunate to be included in this marvelous meal. It is a cruise highlight.

Archived