Transfers to Southampton.

yorkshire1975

I am trying to get my Mum from York to Southampton to join us on a cruise. Train times are not showing yet and it is on a bank holiday so not sure if the morning train straight through is running. Eavesway pick ups are not ideal to get to and National express/ mega bus is a waste of time. Intercruises is not listing the date of departure. Any other suggestions?

I would agree with Britboys about coming down the day before.

I know that route can be a nightmare at Bank Holiday time and far too big a risk to come down the same day, whichever route you choose.

if you don't want to do that, then maybe Greavesway pick ups would be the best safest option for same day travel, getting a taxi or lift to the pick up point?

Hi - I posted about flights from Leeds but it has been taken off - whoops sorry I must have mentioned the airline ! - but we have used them to fly to southampton and found them very good - I agree though we flew down the day before the cruise and got the train direct from the airport into southampton and stayed at the Ibis - just across the road from the train station. They often have deals on that airline ! worth looking out for them

Hi - I posted about flights from Leeds but it has been taken off - whoops sorry I must have mentioned the airline ! - but we have used them to fly to southampton and found them very good - I agree though we flew down the day before the cruise and got the train direct from the airport into southampton and stayed at the Ibis - just across the road from the train station. They often have deals on that airline ! worth looking out for them

Are we not allowed to name airlines? If so, should we be naming hotels?

Are we not allowed to name airlines? If so, should we be naming hotels?

Well that's the only reason I can think of for the post to disappear :confused:

It was defo there last night - but I have seen airlines and hotels and tour companies mentioned on here before so I am at a bit of a loss - but I got the message to OP eventually.;)

There is a direct train to Southampton from York on Cross Country which we'll be using next week from Newcastle but we always travel the day before. I'm pretty sure it runs on Bank Holidays as we thought about using it on New Year's Day 2013. The first one leave Newcastle at 7:35 and it gets to York about an hour later. However it is quite a slow train with lots of stops so probably won't get to Southampton till after 1:00 p.m. If there was a delay (which we've also had, when we had to get off the train at Winchester and wait for a replacement) she could possibly be struggling to get there on time. I would certainly be panicking!

We've also taken East Coast to London, got taxi to Waterloo and train from there but that wouldn't be easy for someone on their own with luggage although my mum used to come down on her own to see us when we lived in London and both the rail staff and airline staff were really helpful if we booked special assistance in advance

If you get a train later in the day, then the fare will be cheaper than an early morning train and the fare difference will go a long way to pay for an overnight hotel. It's better to get the direct Cross Country train then you don't have any changes to hump your luggage, even though it may be slightly longer than going via London.

Brian

We live in York. We would not risk a train transfer on the day of the cruise. The day before would be safer. Whilst a flight from Leeds Bradford is feasible the journey to the airport, check in, baggage reclaim and taxi to the port make it a painful journey.

If you get a train later in the day, then the fare will be cheaper than an early morning train and the fare difference will go a long way to pay for an overnight hotel. It's better to get the direct Cross Country train then you don't have any changes to hump your luggage, even though it may be slightly longer than going via London.

Brian

The last direct train is at 11:35 from Newcastle (arrives Southampton 17:17) and we paid £45 full price and £30 with rail card for the same train next week. We're sending most of our luggage by the Baggage Handling Company and they've been great in the past. It's £35 each case but worth it because they pick up at your house a few days before you go and get it delivered to your cabin.

Edited by tartanexile81