Cabin sound proof?

rickrone

I'd say they're about as good as a decent hotel room. You won't hear neighbors normal conversation. Yelling or a loud TV you will.

We once were on a cruise where the guy in the cabin next to us apparently was having trouble with a credit card, and was loudly repeating it over and over into the phone, in Portuguese. It got annoying.

Harris

Denver, CO

No they are not sound proof nor vibration proof. On our Breakaway cruise we had upstairs neighbors who were "honeymooners". We could not hear people but the accompanying sounds got very loud and annoying. The whole cabin was shaking (I am not exaggerating). After many people complained after the first night so the whole side of the cabin didn't shake for the rest of the cruise. Unfortunately we could still hear the squeaking quite distinctly. We should have had WD-40 delivered to them....

it depends on the ship. We got noise from above and could hear some noise next door on the Jewel. On the Epic we got zero sound from above (and we were under the Garden Cafe), and we didn't hear our very loud neighbors much at all. How do I know they were loud? Because when the mom, dad and two kids were on the balcony or in the hall it was obnoxious. Once they were in their room the noise went away. :)

Both were a TON better than Carnival Paradise. Our neighbors might as well have been in our room with us.

Edited by sdmike

We were on the Dawn in cabin 11172 and only heard noise coming from the Garden Cafe above and while we were in the bathroom, nothing from the cabins beside us. The overhead noise wasn't bad, but then I don't need absolute quiet to sleep.

Are the cabins sound proof, or sound proof enough not to disturb people in the cabins next to me? :)

Of course not, noise will drift from the "dance club", maintenance, or an intoxicated couple arguing near your door.

If you are worried about any noise that you may generate, guest services (or your butler, concierge, steward) may be able to assist.

I'd say on most of the ships, the side to side cabin to cabin noise is minimal. We've heard more noise from above and below, and sometimes from the hallway, then from anywhere else.

I'd actually rate it as better than most hotels I've been in!

We've never heard our neighbors until the Breakaway. Totally surprised to hear voices but not clear conversation -- this was with the balcony doors closed. The way some of the cabin doors are configured right next to each other made the sound of opening and closing doors quite loud.

There are a multitude of factors... cabin location, cabin category etc. Overall, I have never had an issue with hearing people in neighboring cabins. Occasionally, you may hear the slamming of the door from out in the hallway. But, I have never had a problem with it. If you're on a balcony, you may hear your other neighbors who might also be on their balconies.

Of course, if your cabin is on a "family friendly" deck or near the elevators, you may be more inclined to hear noise in the hall... possibly kids running up and down the deck hallways which is annoying at night... you WILL hear that! But, overall, my experience has been that it you don't hear much from the neighbors.

• 2 weeks later...

Cabin location is key when it comes to reducing the common hallway noises... Midship, everyone is walking past your door... To minimize, select cabins as far forward or aft as possible ( there are rocking and roll,ing considerations, but that is a different topic)... I would also recommend considering what is above and below... I prefer all guest rooms above and below.... Also, I avoid getting a room adjacent to those 'mystery' blank areas on the deck map - they are sometimes noisy crew-only work spaces.... I have had good success by following these simple guidelines.

- Happy Quiet Cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums