Montoir De Bretagne

roberts2005

One reason we love cruising on the Prinsendam is because they go into unusual ports and this is certainly one of them! Although we have never been to this port on a cruise, we have spent some time in the Loire region (with a rental car) enjoying the wineries, chateaus, etc. If we were to spend a port day here we would most likely rent a car (probably have to go 4 or 5 miles in a taxi to get a car) and just enjoy the wine region around Nantes (this is the area for Muscadet) and perhaps drive further east to some other wine areas.

Hank

Cruising into Bordeaux, on the Prinsendam, was a real treat. In order to get up the river to the port we had to take on a French Pilot while still out in Ocean (many hours from Bordeaux). The French flew out our harbor/river pilot on a helicopter and dropped him (by cable) onto the bow of the ship. It was the same (in reverse) when we left Bordeaux. We have cruised all over the world, but this was the only port where we had a pilot come via chopper.

But DWs memory of Bordeaux were the idiotic French labor unions. The ship tied up right downtown adjacent to a park. There was a park hand railing that prevented the crew from putting up the gangplank. So one of the Prinsendam crew, armed with a wrench, walked off the ship and started unbolting a section of the rail. The French Police quickly appeared and stopped the process. The entire ship then waited (and watched) for nearly an hour until they could find the appropriate unionized port or park worker who arrived with a supervisor. While the boss looked on (along with 750 ship passengers eager to get off the ship) the French worker removed the 2 bolts and the railing. Of course there was some clapping and cheering from the decks...(and probably a few jeers) but the French worker never acknowledged our presence :).

Hank

This is our 3rd trip on the

Prinsendam. We have saile all types of HAL ships but it reains our favorite. We did Bordeaux three years ago, but I do not remember the pilot coming on board by helicopter. I do remember docking next to the park and the nearby fountains.

We were able to take the public bus to St. Emillion. It was a great port. This time we may see more of Bordeaux .

Thanks for the help.

• 2 months later...

Hello - we will also be on that ship and have the same question. I can find next to nothing about transportation from that port. Think we would like to go to Nantes to see the Chateau - but can't figure out how to get there.

Any help would be appreciated!

We're also interested in going into Nantes. The ship's 4.5 hour tour doesn't offer us much flexibility, but pretty exhaustive searching doesn't find many other options, and the train schedule is not in our favor. We seem to be at the most challenging port for this city that we could have chosen!

I'll keep my eyes peeled. Meantime, if a group starts to come together to try something privately arranged, let me know here or at mark@madebymark.com.

So far, I've had no luck finding anyone who picks up cruise guests from Montoir de Bretagne.

• 2 weeks later...

I've have searched many websites and there is nothing listed for Montoir de Bretagne. The stop isn't even on Whats in port. There's a direct train from Montoir de Bretagne to Nantes that departs at 715. arriving in Nantes at 750. But since were docking at 7 it might be impossible to catch. The next train is at 848 but arrives at 1040 a change with a possible sit time. Returning from Nantes to Montoir de Bretagne theres a train departing at 413 arriving 501 also a 443 arriving at 517. Port call is usually 1/2 hour before departure. So the 443 might be pushing it. This is a large cruise ship so I would be surprised if there wasn't any tour groups outside our port looking for customers. There is a tourism office near our dock I was able to locate. I'll be on the ship and open to any more info. Being from wine country in Nothern California I cannot get excited about driving in a car and wine tasting. Would love to see some of the history and beauty of the region. Keep me posted on any private transport or tours. thanks