between orvieto and rome

Host Star

a few years ago we toured from rome to orvieto and stopped for lunch at an interesting place but cannot remember the name and exactly where it was.. it was very unique in that no cars were allowed and you had to walk uphill approx. 1 mile to a very small village... can anyone help me out remembering this place? am traveling to Rome again and wish to take my family here but my memory is failing... :)

I believe you are thinking of Civita di Bagnoregio. It fits your description and is between Rome and Orvieto (although much closer to Orvieto than to Rome).

http://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/italys-civita-di-bagnoregio-jewel-on-the-hill

thank you so very much!!!... yes, that was a hilight of our tour...there was a problem because the other people on my tour did not want to walk up the path so I was limited in the amount of tme I could visit and longed to go back