Cucina del Capitano

MickeyNicki

I am interested in trying Cucina del Capitana on our March cruise aboard the Sunshine. I have looked all over the place to see if you can make advance reservations, but can't find anything. If you have ever eaten there, did you make reservations ahead of time or wait until on-board? Also, how was the food and what was the extra fee? I was thinking it was $12-14 or something like that. TIA! Can't wait!

We have eaten there twice on other ships and have always gone there the first day to make reservations. We have never had a problem getting the time we want.

Can't remember the cost, but you are in the range.

I really enjoyed the food. It's not great Italian, but much better than your run of the mill Italian chain.

I am pretty certain it was $12 per person. We made reservations earlier the same day that we wanted to eat there, however if you want to go at a peak time I would probably suggest going the first day to have your pick. We usually eat late anyway and had no problem getting a reservation at 830pm for the same day. The food is actually really good. I am sure it's not authentic Italian, but I've never to Italy so I can't compare. It's definitely better than, say, Olive Garden...and I like Olive Garden. The portions are HUGE! Here is a link to my Sunshine review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1961639 (Cucina starts at post #35) it has pics of all the food we tried. Bottom line, no complaints and I would for sure go again!

I am interested in trying Cucina del Capitana on our March cruise aboard the Sunshine. I have looked all over the place to see if you can make advance reservations, but can't find anything. If you have ever eaten there, did you make reservations ahead of time or wait until on-board? Also, how was the food and what was the extra fee? I was thinking it was $12-14 or something like that. TIA! Can't wait!

Yes - you can make a reservation prior to boarding via email. I got a response back in a day or two for the Breeze

SUCUCINA@carnival.com

I was very excited to eat at Cucina and JiJis on my cruise last month. Had JiJis first, it was without comparison. Ate there first thinking "how good can Carnival asian food be?", and what a mistake! It was the best! Ate Cucina a few nights later, apps great, and other than the spaghetti carbonara it was just ok. Make sure you try both!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am pretty certain it was $12 per person. We made reservations earlier the same day that we wanted to eat there, however if you want to go at a peak time I would probably suggest going the first day to have your pick. We usually eat late anyway and had no problem getting a reservation at 830pm for the same day. The food is actually really good. I am sure it's not authentic Italian, but I've never to Italy so I can't compare. It's definitely better than, say, Olive Garden...and I like Olive Garden. The portions are HUGE! Here is a link to my Sunshine review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1961639 (Cucina starts at post #35) it has pics of all the food we tried. Bottom line, no complaints and I would for sure go again!

Loved your review! Thanks for posting the link for me! Now I'm curious to how the risotto balls were? What exactly was that? Sure looked good! I can't decide between the spaghetti carbonara and chicken Parmesan. I love chicken Parmesan, but that spaghetti carbonara sure looked good.

ImageUploadedByForums1391564104.047408.jpg.58cf082227b4f5d3d9cafdb73cd96c61.jpg

Here are the risotto bas, we had asked for a serving size sufficient for all five of us. They were nice and you could see the melted cheese when pulled apart (individual balls). Very mild flavor. Needed red sauce to dip them in!

[ATTACH]301041[/ATTACH]

Here are the risotto bas, we had asked for a serving size sufficient for all five of us. They were nice and you could see the melted cheese when pulled apart (individual balls). Very mild flavor. Needed red sauce to dip them in!

That's weird :confused: ...ours came with a side of marinara! They were VERY good - would order them again. With the Carbonara...of course! ;) :D

Loved your review! Thanks for posting the link for me! Now I'm curious to how the risotto balls were? What exactly was that? Sure looked good! I can't decide between the spaghetti carbonara and chicken Parmesan. I love chicken Parmesan, but that spaghetti carbonara sure looked good.

I have ordered it several times - and always enjoyed it!

Last time we went I said I was going to try something else. Didn't happen - could NOT pass up the Carbonara. Oh well....*sigh* maybe next time! :rolleyes:

I was glad the carbonara was so big and DELICIOUS! My short rib was dry like jerky, so I hijacked my sons plate when he got full. Still had some left over!

It is WAY too much food - even when I share! They always ask if I want a "box". :eek:

Yum! All those pics are making me very hungry! I can't wait to try next month. It is the only thing allowing me to continue on my diet now because I am going to eat everything I want on the cruise:). I plan what I am going to eat then since I don't get to eat anything good now. Haha!

Yum! All those pics are making me very hungry! I can't wait to try next month. It is the only thing allowing me to continue on my diet now because I am going to eat everything I want on the cruise:). I plan what I am going to eat then since I don't get to eat anything good now. Haha!

Good plan!! The calories at sea never count for me either ;)

Yes you can book ahead of time by email, the food is fantastic and its 12pp.