questions on coco cay snorkle area

ckzimmy

How far out do you have to swim for the snorkel area? Do you think flippers are needed to get the most out of the area? Also are life vests required & does anyone know approximate depth where the best snorkel area is located?

I know they say the life vests are required but I am not sure if it is enforced. We went to Barefoot beach and there were quite a few snorkelers out there but if you go to the snorkel shack they will direct you to where you can find some cool sunken ships and cannons

Coco cay requires vests. They will stop you if you go out too far without them.

The snorkeling area is pretty far out (maybe a block) and I always use flippers when we go out to the rafts. Water is over your head (I would guess 15 ft)

However, the snorkeling is good in the shallow area to the left, on the rocks. Last time I saw more fish around the shallow rocky area than further out. Pretty water but not spectacular snorkeling. The trick to seeing fish etc is to go early in the day. After lots of people get in the water, the fish seem to move out

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

You should also see lots of fish (and I'm talking hundreds) out by the lifeguard tower and sunken cannons in the snorkeling area. (They feed the fish at the lifeguard tower ;) )

The sunken planes are in about 15 feet of water, but the cannons are in less....maybe 5 or 6 ft. There are resting platforms and docks out there, so don't worry about the depth.

Edited by Pellaz