cost of alaska cruise questions

lpn25

I'm looking at an alaskan cruise out of Vancouver

the price for september 2014 is 8892$ for five people in a family verandah (I have figured out there are no family insides? or family oceanview on this ship)

breaks down to 2790 for each adult and 950 for each child plus around 500$ in taxes.

What was the going price for the cruise when the dates were released?

I'm trying to plan for 2015 and since the dates havent been released and I'm fairly certain with disney cruise line they are cheaper right around the release time, i'd like a good idea of what the cruise fare will be.

Anyone book this cruise for less? Thank you

Some thoughts...no, there are no 5 person inside cabins on the Wonder.

Have you priced out the cruise with 2 cabins? You could do a "lower" category balcony (a cat 7 perhaps) with an 11 across the hall. Or you could look at 2 inside cabins. Yes, you pay adult fare for the first 2 people in the room, but it gives you almost twice the space, twice the bathrooms, TVs, closets, etc. and is often cheaper than the cat 4s for 5 people. Price varies with cruise date; you have to price it both ways. DCL doesn't care who sleeps where, but you must book an adult in each cabin. You can also place a baby monitor in the kid room to keep an ear on them! And everyone can come to the one balcony room to look out. Reality--we found the view from the top decks so much better than from the balcony that we didn't see this as a heavy duty balcony cruise.

Another thought (gasp)....this is a scenery and port cruise. With kids, you might prefer DCL. BUT, we did Alaska on another line. We could get a concierge cabin for the cost of an oceanview on DCL. We could also have opted for an inside cabin for less than half of the cost on DCL. While we were 2 adults, we did talk to a mother of 6 and 8 year olds--she was very happy with the kid programming. The hours were not as extensive as DCL's however. We also did private excursions--another big savings.

Some thoughts...no' date=' there are no 5 person inside cabins on the Wonder.

Have you priced out the cruise with 2 cabins? You could do a "lower" category balcony (a cat 7 perhaps) with an 11 across the hall. Or you could look at 2 inside cabins. Yes, you pay adult fare for the first 2 people in the room, but it gives you almost twice the space, twice the bathrooms, TVs, closets, etc. and is often cheaper than the cat 4s for 5 people. Price varies with cruise date; you have to price it both ways. DCL doesn't care who sleeps where, but you must book an adult in each cabin. You can also place a baby monitor in the kid room to keep an ear on them! And everyone can come to the one balcony room to look out. Reality--we found the view from the top decks so much better than from the balcony that we didn't see this as a heavy duty balcony cruise.

Another thought (gasp)....this is a scenery and port cruise. With kids, you might prefer DCL. BUT, we did Alaska on another line. We could get a concierge cabin for the cost of an oceanview on DCL. We could also have opted for an inside cabin for less than half of the cost on DCL. While we were 2 adults, we did talk to a mother of 6 and 8 year olds--she was very happy with the kid programming. The hours were not as extensive as DCL's however. We also did private excursions--another big savings.[/quote']

May I ask which line you used for Alaska? I started researching Alaskan cruises for 2015 and we love Disney. We are 2 adults, no children, but there is just something special about Disney cruises.

We've done Alaska on both RCCI and Celebrity. Both were excellent cruises. Alaska is really about the ports. For me going on DCL is about the ship. I would never spend the extra $$$ to do DCL for Alaska - or any other port intensive cruise (the Med, etc.). Oh....and I'm not a fan of the "classics" so would never spend that kind of money for the Wonder!

We did Alaska on Celebrity. No, the entertainment isn't as good as DCL...but the food is better. The naturalist on board was excellent. As above, Alaska is all about the ports and the scenery.

As to guest service...again, excellent. When we returned from ports, they were serving hot chocolate at the entryway. Up on deck on glacier day, they were handing out blankets. Somehow, $50 for a soda package for my adult daughter is nothing compared to the savings we got over DCL.

Don't get me wrong--I have almost 30 cruises on DCL and we love it. But there are times when....well, I just couldn't justify more than double the cost for DCL. True, the shabby bear costume on Celebrity didn't compare with Mickey and Minnie in parkas, but.....

May I ask which line you used for Alaska? I started researching Alaskan cruises for 2015 and we love Disney. We are 2 adults, no children, but there is just something special about Disney cruises.

We've done Alaska twice on HAL. First time a 7 night roundtrip from Vancouver on the Zuiderdam. And a 19 night cruise/tour (through the Yukon and Denali) with the cruise on the Zaandam.

We have plans to do Alaska again, most likely HAL, but could be Princess. It depends on the itinerary.

We, also, wouldn't do DCL for Alaska, because of the port times and itineraries. Cruising DCL is fine if you want the Disney experience (with Alaska on the side). If you want the full Alaskan experience, you'll need to go elsewhere.

Edited by Shmoo here

I have actually been to Alaska on the Djsney Wonder in 2023, it was fantastic I did a lot of research before, and choose DCL and didn't regret it.

They did so much for us and lots of Alaska experts said it's the Didney Experisnce that makes the difference.

The ports of call are standard all our ports had other ships in same dsy, often less hours, we had port hours from say 6 am to 7.30 pm, and overall it was awesome!

Now I have sailed a Princess before it was good better than RCI but would cruise on them and when I return to Alaska it's on DCL.

Thank you everyone for your input

We do currently have a ncl cruise to alaska booked for this september but dh and I were going to go without the kids, the problem came when we started looking at the excursions and "experience" of Alaska and realized we would spend the whole time wishing the kids were able to experience it too.

we went to disneyland last year 2012 for a week and we all had a wonderful family experience. We had always planned to go again, (we went with our five kids, but now the two oldest wont be coming again) and felt that the "disney cruise" would be a good alternative to going to disneyland again.

As for the smaller nostalgic ships, the wonder is the only ship that sails out of Vancouver, with the cost of airfare we won't be flying into Florida its too cost prohibitive so we want a cruise that sails out of Vancouver or SEattle that we can drive too. WHich is why the only options are California coast (involves airfare home) or Alaska roundtrip to Vancouver

I did price out two inside rooms, but the cost savings is only around 1000$ total, and they would need to be adjoining rooms as our youngest still climbs in to our bed at night and our daughter would not be comfortable across the hall.

Ncl does had inside rooms that accomadate 5 as well as ocean view rooms for 5.

I'm not sure if the kids will feel they are on vacation as much if its ncl versus disney

We did Alaska with DCL in 2011 and really loved it. I weighed the option of the lines that offer the land portions as well but for our travel time and budget, DCL was perfect. We really enjoyed our time in Vancouver before the cruise and the ports and the excursions we did in them were great. If we go back, we'd go to Anchorage and do a driving deal ourselves.

We did Alaska with DCL in 2011 and really loved it. I weighed the option of the lines that offer the land portions as well but for our travel time and budget, DCL was perfect. We really enjoyed our time in Vancouver before the cruise and the ports and the excursions we did in them were great. If we go back, we'd go to Anchorage and do a driving deal ourselves.

Agree after research we choose DCL to Alaska and had a great time.

I'm looking at an alaskan cruise out of Vancouver

the price for september 2014 is 8892$ for five people in a family verandah (I have figured out there are no family insides? or family oceanview on this ship)

breaks down to 2790 for each adult and 950 for each child plus around 500$ in taxes.

What was the going price for the cruise when the dates were released?

I'm trying to plan for 2015 and since the dates havent been released and I'm fairly certain with disney cruise line they are cheaper right around the release time, i'd like a good idea of what the cruise fare will be.

Anyone book this cruise for less? Thank you

I spend a lot of time on the DCL sight day dreaming about vacations. The only time I’ve seen prices go up is when the lower cost categories sell out. Otherwise, the rates remain the same for the duration. So if a 6A room starts at $500, it will stay $500 until it sells out. Then it looks like the price goes up because you are in a higher category room. Make sense?

We did a family trip to Alaska out of Vancouver in June 2013. I did a lot of research because I had to justify the expense to the other family members. The cost was about $1,000 pp more, but depending on what's important to you depends on the justification of the increased cost. For us, we like to drink when we are on vacation (no kids). DCL is the only cruise line that allows you to bring alcohol on board. As long as it isn't breakable, and in your carry on, you can bring it. So for us, bringing our own alcohol vs $1,000 extra was almost a wash. The service made up the difference.

Second, no matter what cruise line you choose, pay for the balcony. If we hadn't we would have never seen the whale come up out of the water or the salmon swimming along-side the ship.

Third, we approached this trip as a once in a lifetime opportunity. Little did I know that my husband would be telling me on Day 2 that we would be doing this trip again :o) But choose your excursions based on that. If you only get one shot to see Alaska, what do you want to remember/see?

Lastly, if you are staying in Vancouver before embarkation, the Days Inn Vancouver Downtown is about 2 blocks from the port. Not fancy, but inexpensive. We loaded our luggage and my MIL into a cab and by the time we walked to the port, the luggage had already been checked and we were ready for customs.

I promise, you won't regret DCL or Alaska ;)

Thank you for your feedback, we will be driving to the cruise terminal as we live in BC but that is a good hotel recomendation :)

I have priced the disney cruise both ways, two interior adjoining rooms and with the "family verandah" the total cost difference between the two is 1000$ so it looks like the verandah is the better choice. Ive priced a NCL family balcony at 4800$ for the 5 of us (taxes included) and its 8900$ for 5 of us on disney big difference, but I love disney customer service and we had a vacation of our lives at disneyland January 2013 so there are a lot of feelings tied to "the disney experience"

I"m waiting on pins and needles for the 2015 alaska itinerary to come out

I spend a lot of time on the DCL sight day dreaming about vacations. The only time I’ve seen prices go up is when the lower cost categories sell out. Otherwise, the rates remain the same for the duration. So if a 6A room starts at $500, it will stay $500 until it sells out. Then it looks like the price goes up because you are in a higher category room. Make sense?

We did a family trip to Alaska out of Vancouver in June 2013. I did a lot of research because I had to justify the expense to the other family members. The cost was about $1,000 pp more, but depending on what's important to you depends on the justification of the increased cost. For us, we like to drink when we are on vacation (no kids). DCL is the only cruise line that allows you to bring alcohol on board. As long as it isn't breakable, and in your carry on, you can bring it. So for us, bringing our own alcohol vs $1,000 extra was almost a wash. The service made up the difference.

Second, no matter what cruise line you choose, pay for the balcony. If we hadn't we would have never seen the whale come up out of the water or the salmon swimming along-side the ship.

Third, we approached this trip as a once in a lifetime opportunity. Little did I know that my husband would be telling me on Day 2 that we would be doing this trip again :o) But choose your excursions based on that. If you only get one shot to see Alaska, what do you want to remember/see?

Lastly, if you are staying in Vancouver before embarkation, the Days Inn Vancouver Downtown is about 2 blocks from the port. Not fancy, but inexpensive. We loaded our luggage and my MIL into a cab and by the time we walked to the port, the luggage had already been checked and we were ready for customs.

I promise, you won't regret DCL or Alaska ;)

The "other" DCL forum site (apologize if I'm breaking any rules by citing them) has several threads dedicated to 2014 opening day pricing. The prices do go up - for instance, we booked a Cat 8A on a 7 night E Caribbean on the Fantasy that sails this March when it went on sale almost a year and a half ago. The price for the same category is currently $1,400 more than it was when we booked it.

I would consider that the cost difference is the price of another cruise. You will feel like you're on vacation no matter which cruise line you select, especially with Alaska. I don't feel like you will be "missing out" if you choose another line to save money, especially if you can go on another vacation with that money! The kids will love the cruise no matter which you choose.

We did Celebrity in Alaska, but family has insisted it is back to DCL...for the CMs, NOT for the line or the food. They even commented that we've cruised DCL so much that the shows aren't that big a deal any more (yeah, they'll change some day, but I'm afraid of the changes!). What makes the difference for us on DCL are the long-time CMs and the standard of service from all!

I still think the food is better on Celebrity and Alaska is Alaska. But when we do anything other than DCL, we have that "missing DCL" regret.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a DCL Alaska cruise with our 4 kids June 2013. We booked just after the paid in full date because Disney offered a Canadian resident discount.

We had two connecting interior rooms and for the 6 of us it was about $4100. Well worth it to us and it was an amazing vacation. The kids LOVED it. Disney did a wonderful job entertaining our children and making it an experience for them to remember.

My parents were also on the cruise and they had a verandah. It was probably because we went so early in the year but they never went out on it because it was too chilly to sit out there. They originally booked their cruise with opening day rates with an onboard booking discount and even with the penalty they cancelled and rebooked with the Canadian resident discount and saved almost $600 for the two of them.

So that is also something to think about but it obviously isn't a guarantee.

Right now they have Canadian resident discount for the May 9 day sailing but nothing for later dates yet.