Mult. Norwegian ports, need creative input/rental options?

selma

Hi all!

Knowing there is some amazing knowledge on here, I'm hoping to get some more info and ideas on here. I'm booked for a 14-night Norwegian cruise in aug/sept. Have done almost the exact same route last june.

Odds are skyhigh that by then my new much needed powerchair will not be ready yet. One can always hope, but have learned to plan based on safety and make things enjoyable regardless. I'm pretty much bedridden nowadays. New chair wont be a magic cure-it-all but will eventually give me a range of mobility but simply put where on general you would see someone using such an aid while sitting, you'ld see me driving around while in a lying position (yet having the option to 'fold' to sit so still able to navigate tighter spots of ships). Would make for amazing mobility in ports, but as stated odds are not in my favor. Amazing pieces of equipment, but not something you can rent for instance.

Already pushed back from june to this cruise and from a new itinerary to a known one so I can also easily take off days without feeling I'm in a new port I haven't seen yet and 'must' get out. Pushing back to next 2015 season has been decided not an option given my healthsituation being progressive, having no clue if cruising will be an option by then and travel being a huge part for me of quality of life. So cruising we will go, come new powerchair or not. :p

I will be taking a long a caregiver, which does provide me with new options as opposed to the solo cruising I've been doing so far. For instance the option to rent a car in a port and get out on our own with her driving and me creating a make-shift lie down facility in the back. And that's where CC comes into the picture! I'ld love to hear your experiences with the different ports and making your own tours through car rental. Tips, tricks etc. as to car rental in ports are very welcome. Same as with must do, must see etc. And for those who love a creative challenge; any views or even experiences about doing the ports in a way that facilitates lying down with proper support is also welcome.

The schedule is as follows;

Monday; Oslo 8am-5pm

Thuesday; Kristiansand 8am-5pm

wednesday; Stavanger 8am-4pm

Thursday; Flam 7am-4pm

Monday; Bergen 8am-4pm

Thuesday; Geiranger 8am-5pm

Thusday arrive at Alesund at 11 pm

Wednesday; Alesund until 3 pm

Thursday; Eidfjord 10am-6pm

Last summer still had a bit more mobility options (read; could sit a bit longer) and did most ports on my own by rolling around, using HOHO busses etc. Flam ended up indeed being tendered, so planned sea day. Ended up missing Eidfjord due to a small accident the day before. Did a waterfalls&waffles tour through HAL shorex in Stavanger, which I ended up able to due lying down expect for the quick dash from the ms Rotterdam to the tour boat docked right in front of her. Was rather impressed with the options HAL Shorex ended up being able to offer. Obviously "no options" as official answer before the cruise, but once onboard shorex managed to put together quite a list of things they could tweak or make due after calling each and every tour operator about it. Which for instance resulted in the tour in Stavanger.

I will drop by them again on this cruise, you never know what they might be able to come up with. I know they'll be offering private tour options in multiple ports, but for just the 2 of us those prices are too steep. For now I'm planning on having to make due with what I can research and/or arrange online prior to departure and see any possible shorex option as a bonus choice.

Combining the fact I've seen about almost all of the ports itself on the previous cruise, my altered abilities and having a caregiver along who can drive, I reckon this might be a perfect timing to get out of the port and go explore some surrounding nature, parks, fjords and/or plateaus through car rental in some of the ports.

Which are not to be missed? What might be great options to explore where you can get in much of the experience by car. Obviously I will be missing certain views etc. that one can enjoy when able to walk up to location X. So be it. But having seen a bit of Norway, I suspect there will be some amazing things out there to enjoy while driving already. If need be, let's say for the once in a lifetime, depending on type of day, I might be able to through in another transfer from car to manual chair for a few minutes to get where the car wont be able to go or for instance make the move from car to another location where I can lie down and enjoy a must-see. The day itself will dictate those, but it would be great to know when to keep in mind it might be worthwhile to do when having the stamina and ability to do so.

Long story short; let's here all about your experiences with exploring these ports through car rental.