Colon Tour with Capt Carl

TraceyP

Can someone who's been on the tour with Capt Carl give a little more detail on what the tour includes? It seems like a boat ride, followed by lunch at his hotel, and then water activities afterwards. Is that it? Was it worth $125?

Up front, I have not been to Capt. Carl's, was hoping someone with a little more direct knowledge would respond... but I am familiar with the area his floating lodge is located. It will certainly give you very good view of roughing it, but you can rough it comfortably and see another side of Panama. A lot more cruisers used his facilities when he sold it through the ship's shore excursions, you now can only book him independently now as far as I know. From what I have read here on CC, by and large the excursion was well received.

I can't address as to whether it is worth it... but it would be different:)!

We made the trip through the canal with Celebrity last November. I happened to stumble on the http://www.junglelandpanama.com/ website and thought why not. Well, it was the highlight of the cruise with a boat trip along the canal including visiting islands where monkeys came on board for snacks, close up views of the ships going through the canal and extremely informative narrative along the way. We did end up at his isolated base where we kayaked, swam in the pool below the waterfall and had a great meal from locally grown sources.

The Captain is from Missouri and entertaining with local stories and some dry humor tossed in.

We are in our mid 60s, but there were people of all ages including children and parents who were visiting Panama on their own.

• 1 month later...
We made the trip through the canal with Celebrity last November. I happened to stumble on the http://www.junglelandpanama.com/ website and thought why not. Well, it was the highlight of the cruise with a boat trip along the canal including visiting islands where monkeys came on board for snacks, close up views of the ships going through the canal and extremely informative narrative along the way. We did end up at his isolated base where we kayaked, swam in the pool below the waterfall and had a great meal from locally grown sources.

The Captain is from Missouri and entertaining with local stories and some dry humor tossed in.

We are in our mid 60s, but there were people of all ages including children and parents who were visiting Panama on their own.

How far did you travel from the ship, I worry about getting back before it sails.

Gatun Lake Safari [Nature: Fuerte Amador]

This tour is operated by a “gringo” [not an offensive term in Panama, just descriptive of expats] who actually lives on a houseboat on Gatun Lake. This tour used to be offered through the cruise lines. Now you have to book it independently and directly with Captain Carl. [JungleLandPanama.com]

About 20 guests ride in small boats across Gatun Lake into some of the many little eddies and bays. This guy knows where the troops of monkeys hang out. When I did the tour we saw five of the six different types of monkeys and in several places the monkeys came right on the boat to eat grapes out of our hands. We saw caiman, iguana and sloths as well as monkeys. It is the one tour where I can almost guarantee you will actually see some of the abundance of wildlife living in the protected area that surrounds Gatun Lake. Lunch is served on Captain Carl's houseboat and if you like you can view and hold some of his pet animals.

From my new book ... I've done almost all of these Panama Canal tours. In my opinion Captain Carl's is one of the best, if you are interested primarily in NATURE. You've got three choices, with some overlap, for Panama tours: Culture, History and Nature. Independent or with the cruise line. I've done the Jungle Land tour several times and loved it!

Getting back to the ship ... make it clear when booking with Captain Carl what the back-on-board time is, and he will pretty much know if it will work for you or not. Regards, Richard

Edited by Richard in Panama

Up front, I have not been to Capt. Carl's, was hoping someone with a little more direct knowledge would respond... but I am familiar with the area his floating lodge is located. It will certainly give you very good view of roughing it, but you can rough it comfortably and see another side of Panama. A lot more cruisers used his facilities when he sold it through the ship's shore excursions, you now can only book him independently now as far as I know. From what I have read here on CC, by and large the excursion was well received.

I can't address as to whether it is worth it... but it would be different:)!

I have a big concern and that is how far is sit from the ship? What assurance would we have of getting back to the ship on time?

I have a big concern and that is how far is sit from the ship? What assurance would we have of getting back to the ship on time?

Good questions! I'd give him a call and ask. 507 is the country code for Panama and I'm sure you can find a number on his web site. No area codes. Cell phone numbers are 8 digits.

Regards, Richard

BTW - The only folks I know who can guarantee the ship won't leave with out you is the Shore Ex people on board. Shore Ex Mgr is usually the last person to cross the gangway.

• 1 year later...
From my new book ... I've done almost all of these Panama Canal tours. In my opinion Captain Carl's is one of the best, if you are interested primarily in NATURE. You've got three choices, with some overlap, for Panama tours: Culture, History and Nature. Independent or with the cruise line. I've done the Jungle Land tour several times and loved it!

Getting back to the ship ... make it clear when booking with Captain Carl what the back-on-board time is, and he will pretty much know if it will work for you or not. Regards, Richard

Hi Richard! I have read many of your posts and see you recommend this tour highly but it was dated 2005 is that still your opinion? Would like a rainforest experience so I was also wondering if you can get a taxi from the pier that would drive you to the rainforest. Would this be a good option? If so any recommendations to where to go and any guides when you arrive or just a self guided walk. If not, maybe Jungle Land is the best option. Also, our cruiseship arrives Oct 21 so what should we expect as far as likelyhood of rain? Thanks for all the information you have posted