Heads up to fellow Carnival and other cruisers.

jreichow1972

We got off a great cruise on the Freedom January 19th. One of our stops was Antigua and we did a Carnival excursion "See Antigua by Sea". The snorkel stop left much to be desired but it was a fun day.

Last Saturday I saw a call from Antigua but I didn't answer and no voicemail was left so I wondered... Who would call me from Antigua. I wondered if I maybe left something but I would have already noticed something missing. I knew I didn't talk or inquire with local tour providers about excursions. I never called the number back and thankfully I did not because I saw an article posted in my news feed on a social network site about a One Ring Phone Scam. I read the trouble begins when you call the number back and you get charges on your phone bill.

I thought this may be good info for fellow cruisers communicating with local tour companies. Hope this link attaches, if not an internet search will yield plenty of information. The article in my news feed listed several Caribbean area codes.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/missed-call-one-ring-cell-phone-scam-could-cost-you-2D12044967

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Help@

I got a phone call from (473)405-0089 in Grenada on Sunday and (268)762-0012 Antigua/Barbuda on Tuesday. I didn't answer either one and didn't call them back.

Monday night I saw on the local news that it was a scam going around as well.

I went on a cruise January 5 on Conquest but did not stop in any of those countries and didn't book any tours outside of the cruise line. Very strange.

We got off a great cruise on the Freedom January 19th. One of our stops was Antigua and we did a Carnival excursion "See Antigua by Sea". The snorkel stop left much to be desired but it was a fun day.

Last Saturday I saw a call from Antigua but I didn't answer and no voicemail was left so I wondered... Who would call me from Antigua. I wondered if I maybe left something but I would have already noticed something missing. I knew I didn't talk or inquire with local tour providers about excursions. I never called the number back and thankfully I did not because I saw an article posted in my news feed on a social network site about a One Ring Phone Scam. I read the trouble begins when you call the number back and you get charges on your phone bill.

I thought this may be good info for fellow cruisers communicating with local tour companies. Hope this link attaches, if not an internet search will yield plenty of information. The article in my news feed listed several Caribbean area codes.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/missed-call-one-ring-cell-phone-scam-could-cost-you-2D12044967

[ATTACH]301366[/ATTACH]

Thanks for pointing this out and bringing it to everyone's attention.

Scams are far too many these days.

We did See Antigua By Sea on our last Breeze cruise.

We renamed the excursion "The Booze Cruise".. LOL.

It was so much fun. The guides were kind and upbeat, the transition from Caribbean to Atlantic was exciting (and scary).

I agree with the snorkeling though, and the beach was blah.

Thanks for pointing this out and bringing it to everyone's attention.

Scams are far too many these days.

We did See Antigua By Sea on our last Breeze cruise.

We renamed the excursion "The Booze Cruise".. LOL.

It was so much fun. The guides were kind and upbeat, the transition from Caribbean to Atlantic was exciting (and scary).

I agree with the snorkeling though, and the beach was blah.

Yeah that rum punch sure taste sweet and fruity but packs one heck of a punch!

I agree the beach and snorkeling was a let down. I wasn't expecting the rough waters on the Atlantic side. That was a bit scary.

Edited by jreichow1972

Wow, this is crazy. We went on the liberty jan 18 to half moon cay, st Thomas, San Juan, and grand turk. Since we've been back we've been getting one ring calls from a number in Antigua, 268-762-0152. Luckily, we never tried calling it back.

Everyone should be aware! The only time we used the phone was some texts and picture messages on st Thomas and St. John. Scary they can come up with our phone number, but it had to be from this trip.

Wow, this is crazy. We went on the liberty jan 18 to half moon cay, st Thomas, San Juan, and grand turk. Since we've been back we've been getting one ring calls from a number in Antigua, 268-762-0152. Luckily, we never tried calling it back.

Everyone should be aware! The only time we used the phone was some texts and picture messages on st Thomas and St. John. Scary they can come up with our phone number, but it had to be from this trip.

From what I have read they are using auto dialers that randomly call numbers. I also read that this is an old scam that went away but is now resurfacing.

Edited by jreichow1972

We returned from the Pride and have received at least one or two calls per day saying we won a free cruise, some are mentioning Disney. We did not cruise with grandchildren, do not use face place, and only have an old fashioned flip phone were we did call family while in Florida. How did they get our home number? What ever happened to our do not call list that we are still supposed to be on?

We returned from the Pride and have received at least one or two calls per day saying we won a free cruise, some are mentioning Disney. We did not cruise with grandchildren, do not use face place, and only have an old fashioned flip phone were we did call family while in Florida. How did they get our home number? What ever happened to our do not call list that we are still supposed to be on?

Do not call lists expire. Phone numbers are sold frequently.

From what I have read they are using auto dialers that randomly call numbers. I also read that this is an old scam that went away but is now resurfacing.

How can it be random if we all just returned from a cruise?

Also our do not call list is current

How can it be random if we all just returned from a cruise?

Also our do not call list is current

They make thousands of calls. You could say the same thing if this was a forum for people going to a movie or buying a pizza.

Cheers!

I don't think this has anything to do with the fact that you took a cruise or went to the Caribbean. It has been all over the news. The common denominator seems to be that they are calling cell phones (versus land lines).

http://myfox8.com/2014/02/03/bbb-warns-of-one-ring-cell-phone-scam/

Thanks for helping to raise our awareness.

Edited by winddawn

I have no other information other than what I have read on the internet. I just thought this information would be good to share. From what I'm reading it's totally random numbers they are dialing and I doubt scammers will abide by our laws or respect do not call list which I am on as well.

It would really stink if someone had been talking with a local tour operator in say Antigua and then got one of these auto dial scam calls from Antigua and called back thinking it was the tour operator.

I considered calling back just because I was recently on a tour in Antigua. The fact that no message was left and I wasn't going to call Antigua from my cell not knowing what they wanted and how much a call to Antigua would cost me was what stopped me from returning the call.

I have gotten a few strange numbers calling my cell phone as well, I never answer it if I don't know the number. I always let them leave a voice mail. There is a way to verify if your number is still active on the Do Not Call list. You just input your numbers and give an email address and it will verify it on the list and give you the date you registered it. https://www.donotcall.gov/confirm/conf.aspx

Oh, wow, thanks for pointing this out! I didn't know there was a scan going on! I have been getting phone calls for over a month now. I looked at my history and the numbers that have been ringing my cell phone once and not leaving a message are:

268-762-0078

268-762-0153

246-859-9010

268-762-0027

209-208-6144

Was the call to your home phone or cell?

I got a phone call from (473)405-0089 in Grenada on Sunday and (268)762-0012 Antigua/Barbuda on Tuesday. I didn't answer either one and didn't call them back.

Monday night I saw on the local news that it was a scam going around as well.

I went on a cruise January 5 on Conquest but did not stop in any of those countries and didn't book any tours outside of the cruise line. Very strange.

Thanks for this info. I have a great app for my android called Mr Number. I will input these area codes so the calls can't get through.

Oh, wow, thanks for pointing this out! I didn't know there was a scan going on! I have been getting phone calls for over a month now. I looked at my history and the numbers that have been ringing my cell phone once and not leaving a message are:

268-762-0078

268-762-0153

246-859-9010

268-762-0027

209-208-6144

I have gotten a few strange numbers calling my cell phone as well, I never answer it if I don't know the number. I always let them leave a voice mail. There is a way to verify if your number is still active on the Do Not Call list. You just input your numbers and give an email address and it will verify it on the list and give you the date you registered it. https://www.donotcall.gov/confirm/conf.aspx

Thanks, Mysticks1. I just submitted my info.