Booking directly with Princess vs. a TA

MissConduct

Is it better to book directly with Pincess or through a TA? I have gotten quotes from both, and Princess is about the same, if not alittle better for a cruise in October. When it comes to upgrades, do you stand a better chance with the cruise line or the TA? Alos, we don't usually plan any trip very far in advance...too many varibles that cause changes at the last minute. Is it better to take a chance, book early, and get travel insurance....or wait until closer to time?

Thanks for any info!

Well, there good arguments pro and con.

I prefer using a TA - I like to be able to look her in the eye - and I have dealt with her for many years, knowing she will be an advocate for me if necessary.

If you are getting about the same prices from a TA that you are getting directly from Princess, keep searching for a better TA. Discounts can still be applied to Princess bookings and this is something that you won't get booking direct. Plus if you can find a ship that the TA has a group booking on you can also receive shipboard credit.

Keep searching would be my suggestion.

Upgrades are the luck of the draw. No one has figured out how they are given. We were on a cruise in April/May and booked with an on-line TA. We later got an e-mail saying more people were booking with her and she had decided to take group space for the cruise. We got a decrese in price and an upgrade. But, an upgrade can be simply moving from a cabin at the stern to one mid-ships; still the same type of cabin. It does not necessarily mean you go from an inside to outside, etc. An in some cases you may not want an upgrade as it puts you in a cabin in an area you do not want to be located. Some people tell their TA's "no upgrades" as they want the specific cabin they booked.

I have always booked our cruises directly with the cruise line. We have only cruise on Carnival previously (Fantacy-01, Pride-02, Spirit '04) and after the first cruise, I have received a previous guest discount. You have to tell them you have cruised before and they can look up your passenger number. This year, we decided to try Princess since we have heard so many wonderful things about them. While we are first time cruisers with Princess, Carnival owns Princess so I was able to still get the previous cruiser discount. We got a great deal on the 9/3 sailing on the CB.

I have always booked our cruises directly with the cruise line. We have only cruise on Carnival previously (Fantacy-01, Pride-02, Spirit '04) and after the first cruise, I have received a previous guest discount. You have to tell them you have cruised before and they can look up your passenger number. This year, we decided to try Princess since we have heard so many wonderful things about them. While we are first time cruisers with Princess, Carnival owns Princess so I was able to still get the previous cruiser discount. We got a great deal on the 9/3 sailing on the CB.

I just paid in full for our first Princess cruise. Is it still too late to ask for a discount since we previously sailed on Carnival??? We booked a BG (guaranteed balcony) and they have already bumped us up to a BA.

I just paid in full for our first Princess cruise. Is it still too late to ask for a discount since we previously sailed on Carnival??? We booked a BG (guaranteed balcony) and they have already bumped us up to a BA.

I would certainly call them and try. I don't think a lot of people know that they can receive the previous guest discount if they have cruised Carnival in the past. Hope they will work with you!

I just spoke with 1-800-Princess regarding this. It seems that the rate that they quoted me (and I paid) is exactly what they are quoting for VIP (ie Past Cruisers) so she said it wouldn't save me any money.

I also asked about any Promotions they could change me too (ie. shipboard credit :) ) but she said nothing was available. Hey ya' don't know until ya' ask!!

If a past passenger discount is being offered, you can get it from a travel agent or booking directly with the cruise line. With Princess, if you book directly, you are not getting your best deal.

Call Princess get the best price you can and then call several of the discount travel agents (many of them run advertisements on cruise critic) and you can always beat the direct price. Discount travel agents will give you the benefit of a reduced commission plus any group incentives they have.

For Princess, our TA always offers use a great deal and includes some extras, and the service just can't be any better. TA's agency refunded our airfare after a snafu in Osaka, caused by Princess. Almost a year later, Princess admitted the mistake and reimbursed the travel agency.

On the other hand, with Celebrity's new business model, a better deal can be booked on the ship for the next trip. The cruise is then credited to our home TA. You can get access to some future cruise specials that come up while you are enjoying the present trip.

John

Archived