Driving from Pisa to Civitavecchia

lovestx

Our current plan for our June Celebrity cruise out of Rome is to fly into Venice and spend a few days. Then rent a car, drive to Pisa, visit the sights and stay overnight in Pisa. Next day, embarkation day, drive to Civitavecchia and board the ship.

I had thought the drive from Pisa to Civitivecchia would be 2 hours (think I remember my research incorrectly!). Now I am getting estimates of between 3 and 4 hours (on Michelin and other sites). Really don't want to drive more than 2 hours or so on our embarkation day so that we get to the port (with teenagers) by 11 to avoid the crowds.

Does anyone know how long it might take to drive straight from Pisa to Civitavecchia?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel or B&B or town to stay in about an hour or so south of Pisa?

Actually, the drive should take just about three hours in normal traffic along the coast route. If you go inland to the autostrada it would require four hours, but I can't imagine why you'd want to do that.

I would look at hotels around Piombino: http://www.venere.com/italy/piombino/

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanks, eurocruiser. I had looked at Piombino last night so glad to have someone else suggest it.

Tommy3putts,

Taking the train is still an option but with four of us and lots of luggage to haul, the cost is about the same but the lugging is worse.

9 of us travelled extensively all over N. Italy for 12 days in 2011 all by train. That was enough to sell me on the train option. Some in our group had large luggage items and had some difficulty with platform stairs. It could be an issue, but there are work arounds. Cabs are usually readily accessible at train stations. The main advantage is not having to drive. Driving in Italy can be a "unique" experience. It's an option worth pursuing.

No one has mentioned it, and actually I really like Pisa, but there is not a ton to do there. The tower and baptistry are interesting, but even if you have tickets to climb the tower, you can do it all in about two hours. Much more to see in Florence. Have you considered going there instead/also?

Thanks, Cathy. Yes I am considering all options. I think trying to navigate in and out of Florence for the limited time we have would be a bit much. And we'd be there on a Monday and the one thing I'd really love the kids to see is "David" (since my son is David) and the Accademia would be closed.

The Pisa idea is intriguing to me as I remember when I first visited the area I was wowed by how much better in person it was than I expected. And I figured we could give it a two or three hour visit. Which is why I am now thinking that we would leave Venice in the morning, spend two to three hours in Pisa and then drive further down the coast to spend the night.

I am also considering nixing Pisa and driving to Orvieto instead.

All of this planning includes trying to remember that I will have late teenagers with me who will have a harder time waking up in the mornings at the front end of our trip than my husband and I will. They are good travelers and love it but I have learned over the past few years that we all are happier if they get a chance to sleep until at least 9 or so!

If you decide on the rental car keep in mind Pisa has a restricted zone for autos. I can also tell you it's hard to see the signs - actually never saw them. However I did see the ticket which arrived several months later.:o

If you decide on the rental car keep in mind Pisa has a restricted zone for autos. I can also tell you it's hard to see the signs - actually never saw them. However I did see the ticket which arrived several months later.:o

There is a useful and helpful web page here with maps to help you avoid the ZTL in Pisa.

Edited by lisiamc