Safety of taxis in Jamaica

PSDottie

We wil be arriving in Falmouth and would like to go to Cornwall or Dr. Cave's Beach for a few hours. I am interested in a taxi. I think I read that taxis with a red designation are safe. If this is correct where do I get one?

We have just returned from Falmouth (were there on Allure 01/29/14). We had taken taxi inside the port for $20 round trip per person to Montego Bay. We had only seen official taxis with red license plates inside the gates. Now, even though we had made arrangements with the cab driver to come to pick us up at 4p.m., he didn't come. (We did pay him only half the fair when he dropped us off and told him we will pay more when he comes back for us). We were at the Doctor's Cave. There was no problem finding taxi right outside of the beach entrance to go back to Falmouth. Even though they started from $50 to go back per cab (unless we had a group and then it would be less), it was easy to negotiate the price down to $30 for a cab. For this $10 difference from original arrangement with a "no show" driver we had a great ride back, just two of us in the car versus about 15 people in the same size van on the way there. Plus, the cab driver was giving us a tour along the way. The name of the driver who stood us up is Marlene (or Marvine) Levy. He gave us his business card to call him for pick up. He said "just ask anybody and they will dial me for you". It is true. The first person outside the beach gates called him for us.

We were very happy with Doctor's Cave. It is a beautiful, small beach which didn't feel crowded despite plenty of people on the beach. Shore line was curving, providing beautiful views, sand was good and the water amazingly clear. Entrance fee $6 per person, beach lounger $6 and an umbrella $6. There is small area of shade under palm trees, so if it is vacant umbrella can be avoided. We had lunch in the beach restaurant, which was quiet reasonable. There was a raggie band playing for some Jamaican ambience.