Flavors of San Juan Food Tour Info

ssap01

Has anyone taken the Flavors of San Juan Food Tour and if so how was it?

Took the tour in November. It was awesome. You go to six different restaurants & sample different foods. The only alcoholic drink that is included is the pina colada at Barrachina. If you want alcoholic drinks, you have to pay for them separately. The tour guide tells you about the history of Old San Juan as you walk from place to place. I would highly recommend this tour.

I haven't taken the tour but the website says 3 hours and is $69.99.

We are thinking of taking this tour when we are in sanjuan in a week. Is the start and end of tour with in walking distance of the cruise port? Is 70$ too much for this.??

The tour was about three hours. It was well worth the money. It is within walking distance from the port where Carnival cruises out of. You get to go to six different places & try different things(mofongo, empandas, etc.). It gave me ideas where I would like to go for my next visit to San Juan. Went back to one of the restaurants the next evening for dinner & drinks.

We haven't taken that tour but have ate and drank our way through Old San Juan and other parts of the city with Paulina of Spoon Food Tours and found it fantastic -- here you can see pictures and details of our experience:

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2013/12/20/eating-and-drinking-our-way-through-san-juan-puerto-rico-with-spoon-food-tours-part-1/

We took this food tour in 2012 when we were in San Juan pre-cruise. It was a nice way to spend the evening before the late sailing. We went through embarkation - waited until our rooms were ready and freshened up - and then left the ship to take this tour and came back around 9:00 I believe before the ship sailed at 11:00.

This year before sailing on the Celebrity Summit - we took another food tour. It was with www.getshoppedpr.com. In this tour - we had a walking tour of Old San Juan for about 2-2.5 hours and then went to a local restaurant and made our own mofongo. We all agreed this tour was the highlight of our trip. Justin was our guide and was very knowledgeable and is also a chef himself so it was a perfect combo. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

I am looking at this tour for May. It does involve a lot of walking and steps, so I know it's not for everyone. I am not in the best physical shape, but I can handle slow to moderate walking with a few steps if there are rests in between, I may use a cane for stability on the cobblestone streets. Just how strenuous of a tour is this?

I am looking at this tour for May. It does involve a lot of walking and steps, so I know it's not for everyone. I am not in the best physical shape, but I can handle slow to moderate walking with a few steps if there are rests in between, I may use a cane for stability on the cobblestone streets. Just how strenuous of a tour is this?

There were some parts that were hilly. You do get to make some stops for the guide to describe certain sights. It was at a slow to moderate walk if I remember correctly.

• 3 months later...

We did the tour in April and I have a bad knee. It went well! You walk a little then stop to eat, then walk some more then stop. I was very afraid of how I would do and it was no trouble.

It is a fantastic tour and I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested. I was the highlight of our cruise! Very informative and really very interesting.

We did the tour in April and I have a bad knee. It went well! You walk a little then stop to eat, then walk some more then stop. I was very afraid of how I would do and it was no trouble.

It is a fantastic tour and I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested. I was the highlight of our cruise! Very informative and really very interesting.

Which of these tours did you do--the flavors of San Juan? I am cruising solo and there aren't many excursion opportunities being offered by Princess. When I was in San Juan previously I loved Old San Juan and adding food seems like a dream. Plus I like the thought of being with a group.

Thanks!

Which of these tours did you do--the flavors of San Juan? I am cruising solo and there aren't many excursion opportunities being offered by Princess. When I was in San Juan previously I loved Old San Juan and adding food seems like a dream. Plus I like the thought of being with a group.

Thanks!

we did the Flavors of San Juan. Best tour ever! And if you are solo, no problem. The group is small and you get to talk to your fellow "foodies".

we did the Flavors of San Juan. Best tour ever! And if you are solo, no problem. The group is small and you get to talk to your fellow "foodies".

Thanks so much for your response! This seems like it will be the highlight of my cruise. Getting nervous about the solo thing and not much happening on the roll call. Will sign up today.

Thanks so much for your response! This seems like it will be the highlight of my cruise. Getting nervous about the solo thing and not much happening on the roll call. Will sign up today.

Let me know how you like it. It was one of those tours that I said we would do again when we go back to San Juan.

If you have the morning tour, the last stop was ChocoBar at Casa Cortes. Everything on the menu includes chocolate! We were each given a cup of "the worlds best" hot chocolate. I have never and will probably never again taste hot chocolate that good!

ENJOY!!!

how close was the pick up point to the Princess cruise terminal? I am very interested in the Flavors of San Juan tour

Not sure which terminal you will be using but from RCCL, we got off the ship, turned left went about 3 blocks and then turned right for about2-3 blocks.

When we took the tour, they told us if we do this again to use the coupon code, "tastetwice" for 10% off. They also told us to share this code. You can save some money if you use it.

Thanks!

I did this tour as a solo. It was a small group of people. Loved it. Got a chance to know about the group. There were five of us from the same state. Enjoy. :)

I did this tour as a solo. It was a small group of people. Loved it. Got a chance to know about the group. There were five of us from the same state. Enjoy. :)

Thanks--I am going to try. Like I have said getting anxious about this trip. Have done solo before but the roll call that time was really active and had people that felt familiar even before I hit the ship. This time the board is rather quiet.

Speaking of your state-you come from a rather great one! Great food, culture and people

Not sure which terminal you will be using but from RCCL, we got off the ship, turned left went about 3 blocks and then turned right for about2-3 blocks.

When we took the tour, they told us if we do this again to use the coupon code, "tastetwice" for 10% off. They also told us to share this code. You can save some money if you use it.

Terri: Thanks so much for the coupon code - I just used it to save $21 on 3 tickets for a tour in December. Dawn

Thanks--I am going to try. Like I have said getting anxious about this trip. Have done solo before but the roll call that time was really active and had people that felt familiar even before I hit the ship. This time the board is rather quiet.

Speaking of your state-you come from a rather great one! Great food, culture and people

Thank you very much. We love to live, eat, & celebrate life. I always say laissez bon temps rouler(let the good times roll.).

I have not been to your home state but I have met many wonderful & awesome people from Virginia. Plan on visiting there someday.

It seems to be hit or miss on the roll calls. My last cruise & my cruise coming up seem to have very active roll calls.

Everything will be fine. When I went on the Flavors of San Juan tour, I felt very comfortable despite me being one of two people who did the tour solo. Everyone was friendly towards each other.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just booked this for our September cruise. Thanks for the discount code and great reviews.

For those that have taken it, how much alcohol is involved and what type? My husband is a bigger drinker than I am but neither of us drink much. I did note this on the form and said we may choose to change to soda. I do look forward to trying some new drinks though.