Willemstad UNESCO Designation

WayneFougere

It's easy enough to find that Willemstad is designated a world heritage site (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/819) but the only UNESCO map I can find so far (http://whc.unesco.org/download.cfm?id_document=105010) provides limited historic information about individual buildings. The local walking maps I've found are also quite silent about the historic building inventory.

Is there an historic map of Willemstad that identifies and describes individual buildings?

Regards,

Wayne

I actually don't think there is such a map readily available.

There are weekly "walks" organized by different architect and historians in the afternoon who will then name each building and tell the history of the building (and the neighborhood). These walks always take place at 5 pm, so only possible for cruise guests who are staying in port until very late.

Well, if such maps exist, it will take someone better than me to find them!

It's good to know that there may be architectural tours available. This is the first I've heard of them. I did email two local architects this morning. Hopefully they will provide enough information for my own self-guided tour or provide more detail on architectural group tours.

Well, if such maps exist, it will take someone better than me to find them!

It's good to know that there may be architectural tours available. This is the first I've heard of them. I did email two local architects this morning. Hopefully they will provide enough information for my own self-guided tour or provide more detail on architectural group tours.

May I ask you who send the e-mails to? I can't recommend specific people here on CC, but I can tell you whether they are among those offering tours.

I've emailed the general accounts of both IMD Design B.V. and Habibe & Maia Architects.

Then you hit the nail on the head with IMD. One of the partners there is Anco van der Woude and he is the one heading the walk on Thursdays. He'll be able to tell you all you want to know.

What a wealth of knowledge. Thank you. The ship will be in port on Tuesday April 22nd, so the Thursday walk-about is out of the question! Hopefully he answers my email and gives me some interesting sites to see.

Can I test your knowledge on something else? Should I expect the Zuiderdam to dock at the mega pier or is there a chance it will be a bit closer to town?

Regards,

Wayne

Can I test your knowledge on something else? Should I expect the Zuiderdam to dock at the mega pier or is there a chance it will be a bit closer to town?

I only have the port schedule for Jan + Feb 2014. Usually when there is more than 1 ship in port, Holland America gets to dock "inside" at the Matthey Werf.

Please remind me closer to your sailing and I'll try and look it up for you.

The difference is distance is not substantial, maybe the mega pier is 8-9 minutes longer of a walk to reach down town.