Mahogany Bay - Roatan excursion?

mnsweeps

We are not beach or water sports people. Neither are we into eating or drinking . We are more into seeing nature and the traditional country/city folks. Which Carnival excursion would you recommend? We would love to see mainland Honduras for a few hours but I don't any excursion options to do that.

My 9 yr old daughter has already done the swim with the Dolphin thing at Cabo San Lucas so she is not interested in anything similar....

Any recommendations?

Huge thumbs up to Victor Bodden! When you get with your guide, just say I want to drive up the beach along the waterfront, or I want to go to the highest peaks to see the view! Victor's guides will spend the day doing what YOU want to do, highly recommended! Do a google search and then read the reviews or look on the website with the owl with the funny eyes!

We are not beach or water sports people. Neither are we into eating or drinking . We are more into seeing nature and the traditional country/city folks. Which Carnival excursion would you recommend? We would love to see mainland Honduras for a few hours but I don't any excursion options to do that.

My 9 yr old daughter has already done the swim with the Dolphin thing at Cabo San Lucas so she is not interested in anything similar....

Any recommendations?

http://boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm see if they book with Carnival I guarantee you wont be disappointed.We booked him several years ago on our own, He was just beginning his business. You can also read reviews about him on Trip Advisor, I don't think you will see any disappointed guest. Even if you book individually, you will be happy you did, They are a family business and amazing group of people. Check out the site!

We did a tour through the ship that drove through town and went to Gumbalimba park. It was beautiful and definitely gave us our nature fix. We also got to feed and hold birds and monkeys and walk across suspension bridges.

We did a tour with Bodden Tours in December. It was amazing. You can do a tour where you choose what you do. We went to the iguana farm, to see the monkeys, snorkeling and shopping. We also asked our driver, Marty, to show us some interesting things on the island. He did an EXCELLENT job giving us a tour. We learned a LOT about the island.

I would definitely tour again with Bodden Tours. I'm a worrier and was very concerned about not getting back to the ship, being with a stranger, feeling unsafe, etc. I worried for nothing.

I wouldn't do the iguana farm again, it was pretty tourist trappy, but the monkeys I would definitely do again. Request Marty. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by emandjennsmom

We did a Victor Bodden tour on Jan. 30. We had a group of 19 and we had a wonderful time. We customized it to what we wanted to do. First we stopped at a local grocery store and bought some groceries (also got snorkeling equipment for about $9). Next we visited the local orphanage and dropped off 14 bookbags of things for the children along with the food we purchased. Then we toured the island a bit on the way to the monkey farm. Our driver even went off road onto the beach and drove us right on the beach. We visited the monkey farm and then we stopped at a local gift center on the way back. We had time and had planned on snorkeling but it was pouring rain that day and we were soaked from the monkey farm so most didn't want to snorkel. I recommend the tours and they have great references both on here and on Trip Advisor.:p

We did a tour through the ship that drove through town and went to Gumbalimba park. It was beautiful and definitely gave us our nature fix. We also got to feed and hold birds and monkeys and walk across suspension bridges.

I second Gumbalima Park! Awesome excursion. Feel free to read all about it in my Conquest review (link in signature). I have lots of pictures from the park itself and the approx. 35-40 min drive through the island to get there.

As a response to going to the mainland: Sorry to say no ship excursions to the mainland. There is a reasoanbly decent ferry that goes from Coxen Hole on Roatan to La Ceiba. Costs between $60 and $75 RT depending on which class of passenger you are. Takes about an hour and 15 minutes or so. But it's schedule may not be in line with your cruise ship time. I think the early ferry leaves at 7AM Roatan time (8AM Eastern) with a later one at 2PM. Return is 4:30PM (getting you back in Roatan around 5:45 PM (6:45PM Eastern) and you're a 15 minute taxi ride back to Mahogany Bay). Not a lot to do in La Ceiba either.

• 2 weeks later...