Bonine vs. wrist band?

pampaul

I found out on our first cruise that I am very prone to sea sickness. :(

After our first cruise I found out to use Bonine BEFORE even getting on the ship, so that it's in your system. Great advice!!! I have been using it ever since. I would say it cuts down on my nausea by about 75%. I still get queasy sometimes if the seas are a bit rough.

I've also heard really good things about the sea sickness band (I'm not sure what it's called or what brand). We're going on the Norwegian Sky in August and I'm debating whether I should try the band or not. And where do you buy them, a pharmacy?

Can you use BOTH the band and Bonine?

I've also heard about ginger pills. Can you use these along with Bonine/wrist band? I'm trying to stop the nausea as much as possible.

Thanks!!!

I used gravol with ginger and the wrist band. I have been sick for the first 24 hours on both cruises. As soon as I take Bonine, I am fine.

Bonnie

And that folks, right there, is why there is NOT a best method. Each person reacts differently.

We use non chewable ginger tablets found at the Walmart and health food stores

No need to but the gravol brand on ginger as you'll pay double. Start tabs about 2-3 days prior green apples on board also will help as will the ginger you''ll ind on the buffet that goes with sushi.

We don't like using the other stuff because it gives us severe dry mouth.

I also suffer from motion sickness on boats and in back seats of cars. I cruise all the time and take bonine before bed each night on the cruise. If the seas are rough I also use the sea bands (make sure you wear both bands) which run around $10.00 in the drugstores such as CVS and in walmart. And yes you can drink without drowsiness when you take the bonine. Have a great time.

Beau tried both on our first cruise. There were no adverse effects, but he didn't like the bands, he was uncomfortable wearing them since they are so tight. Took them off and stuck with the bonine and he was fine. Just some dizziness the first day but the seas were rough... even I was dizzy and I don't get seasick. I agree with the poster who reminded us that remedies work differently for different people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And that folks, right there, is why there is NOT a best method. Each person reacts differently.

Sadly, this is the truth. My wife and her sister are both prone to seasickness. My wife can normally manage with a morning dose of bonnine. Sometimes she'll take a second if the seas are rough. Her sister wore seabands that as far as I can tell didn't work at all and was also taking the bonnine. She gave up on that and went back to her Dramamine. That worked for her.

Unfortunately, you're just going to have to try things and see what happens. :(

I use Bonine and I start taking it 1-2 days before the cruise, and then while on the cruise 2x a day, and I continue taking it for about 2 days after my cruise. In addition to Bonine I use the PSI bands (http://www.amazon.com/Psi-Bands-Acupressure-Wrist-Band/dp/B000X9V2H8) and I wear for dinner and keep them on until the morning and if the seas are rough I wear them all day.

I like the PSI bands because they're plastic and easier to clean. The sea bands get kind of gross when they mix with sunscreen.

I also chew on Reeds Ginger Chews (http://www.amazon.com/Reeds-Original-Ginger-Candy-Chews/dp/B0082C8OKG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392065846&sr=8-1&keywords=reeds+ginger+chews) I eat these whenever I am feeling queasy.

But wait there's more!! For when you're really feeling sick, I use Nauzene (http://www.amazon.com/Nauzene-Stomach-Relief-Chewable-Tablets-Cherry-40ct/dp/B000GCI97I/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392065893&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=nauzeze) and they work almost immediately.

We hit 28ft waves coming back to NY on the Breakaway and at night I thought I was going to be sick, I ate a Nauzene and I felt better right away. I won't cruise again without any of the above. They are life savors!!!

I hope this helps you :)

We have used Meclazine (active ingredient in Bonine) on our last couple cruises and suffered no seasickness nor side effects.

We take two a day starting the day before we cruise.

It's cheaper (by far) than the brand name stuff and available at most pharmacies (you have to ask at the counter).

I believe we paid around $6 for 100 tablets at the local Walgreen's.

Edited by Walt724

I found out on our first cruise that I am very prone to sea sickness. :(

After our first cruise I found out to use Bonine BEFORE even getting on the ship, so that it's in your system. Great advice!!! I have been using it ever since. I would say it cuts down on my nausea by about 75%. I still get queasy sometimes if the seas are a bit rough.

I've also heard really good things about the sea sickness band (I'm not sure what it's called or what brand). We're going on the Norwegian Sky in August and I'm debating whether I should try the band or not. And where do you buy them, a pharmacy?

Can you use BOTH the band and Bonine?

I've also heard about ginger pills. Can you use these along with Bonine/wrist band? I'm trying to stop the nausea as much as possible.

Thanks!!!

I tried the ginger pills and they burned a hole in my stomach. Acid just boiled. Sipping ginger ale was better....

Bonine (Meclazine). Hint: You can buy a generic bottle of 100 tablets for the same price as a pack of 12 name-brand tablets at the pharmacy.

It's non-drowsy, but take it at bedtime just in case it does give you a worn out feeling. Start taking it the night before the cruise, and keep taking it for 1-2 nights after you get off the cruise to help avoid that feeling of the ground moving, like you're still on a ship.

I've never had a problem taking Bonine with moderate drinking, but I don't drink with reckless abandon.

My wife is very prone to seasickness. Our first few cruises she used the patch behind the ear, but she finds she can't wear them for very long. The active ingredient is Scopolamine and after a day or two she starts getting headaches, dizziness, and can't see straight. Which, according to our pharmacist, is a sign of overdose. But they don't come in a smaller dosage, so she uses them sparingly.

Small doses of Gravol (Dramamine in the USA) is what she uses daily as of late. She'll take like half a 50Mg pill or something like that. Too much makes her drowsy, so half a pill is about perfect just to stave off the nausea without feeling sleepy.

But on our 12-day Dawn repo Tampa>Boston she discovered the wrist bands, and now she swears by them. We were both skeptical, but she's a believer now. I personally only get a little woozy if it's really rockin' and rollin'. All I need to do is lay down for a bit and I'm fine.

I get sea sick and have never tried bonine. However, I did try the Sea Band during our last trip. It might have been psychosomatic, but the nausea feeling disappeared in less than three minutes. I loved it because there were also not any side-effects. I fully admit I might have been lucky or willed it to work. Either way - it worked.

My husband and I use ginger pills which westart a few days before the cruise. Make sure to take with food. We also use the bands. All they are are cloth bracelets with a little button that presses on a pressure point on your wrist. My husband swears by it. I just use it since it couldn't hurt.

its £30 shipping - so probably not.. I might be able to get some at Miami airport when I fly in.... just want the comfort if I land late/forget etc. :)

I thought I read somewhere that they give it out at guest services? I might totally be wrong about that though.

Anyone??