Pre-Cruise Stay - Need Opinions

sissford

Hey everyone,

I have been reading the boards for a couple of months and am getting lots of good info. However, it has left me somewhat perplexed. We are going on the TP next March and are planning a 3 or 4 night pre-cruise stay. My initial thought was to stay in an OWB at the ICB in Papeete. Maybe do a day trip to Moorea and the rest of the time on Tahiti. I thought that would be easier since our flight doesn't get in until the evening.

However, I am thinking that maybe we should stay at the ICB in Moorea. Both hotels get good reviews. We are both active, love to be in the water and explore. What does everyone suggest? How difficult is to get to Moorea in the evening after we get to Papeete? Just perplexed. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Hey everyone,

I have been reading the boards for a couple of months and am getting lots of good info. However, it has left me somewhat perplexed. We are going on the TP next March and are planning a 3 or 4 night pre-cruise stay. My initial thought was to stay in an OWB at the ICB in Papeete. Maybe do a day trip to Moorea and the rest of the time on Tahiti. I thought that would be easier since our flight doesn't get in until the evening.

However, I am thinking that maybe we should stay at the ICB in Moorea. Both hotels get good reviews. We are both active, love to be in the water and explore. What does everyone suggest? How difficult is to get to Moorea in the evening after we get to Papeete? Just perplexed. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Transportation from Tahiti to Moorea really depends on which day of the week you are arriving and what time. Here is a link to the ferry schedule. Most international flights get in too late to take the ferry to Moorea the same evening.

http://www.thetahititraveler.com/islandguide/tahititransferries.asp

Other option is Air Tahiti or Air Moorea. Here's Air Tahitis web site with schedule and pricing info:

http://www.airtahiti.aero/horaires.php

We considered a pre-cruise stay on Moorea for our trip next year. Once I started looking into airlines and arrival times, we decided that just staying on Tahiti would be easier.

We stayed pre cruse in an OWB at the Sheraton on Moorea and can't say enough wonderful things about it. It was the most beautifil resort on the most beautiful island I have ever seen!

We took a 10 min max taxi ride from the airport to the ferry dock and easily got to Moorea and took a taxi to the resort. The way back was even easier -the ferry docks right next to the ship.

Believe me you will want to spend more time on Moorea than on Tahiti itself!

Check out my review of our 2/05 trip for more info.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=9347

Please feel free to ask me any questions. This was the most amazing trip of my life and I have the 950 pictures to proove it!! I love to talk about my time there.

Hilary

We hung out at the hotel and enjoyed the amenities there. We did a jet ski tour, snorkled right off our deck, went to the amazing spa, relaxed at the pool and the beach. It was perfect for us because we really made the most of our time on the ship and we were up early and busy every day after our pre-cruise stay.

Again, check out my review from the link above for more info.

Hilary

Hello!! I read your review, thanks for the information. My husband and I are going 04/06, and I really want to do the Dolphin encounter. How far in advance did you book it? We are also planning on staying at the Tahiti Beachcomber in the OWB, is it a nice hotel? Or should we stay at the one in MOOREA, we plan on staying two days precruise.

Thanks Julie

We stayed pre cruse in an OWB at the Sheraton on Moorea and can't say enough wonderful things about it. It was the most beautifil resort on the most beautiful island I have ever seen!

We took a 10 min max taxi ride from the airport to the ferry dock and easily got to Moorea and took a taxi to the resort. The way back was even easier -the ferry docks right next to the ship.

Believe me you will want to spend more time on Moorea than on Tahiti itself!

Check out my review of our 2/05 trip for more info.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=9347

Please feel free to ask me any questions. This was the most amazing trip of my life and I have the 950 pictures to proove it!! I love to talk about my time there.

Hilary

Julie - I did not see the Intercontinental on Tahiti so I can't speak for that hotel, BUt the one on Moorea was very nice. It was bigger that the Sheraton with a more "hotel" feel. We enjoyed our time on Moorea more than our time on Tahiti, so if it were our decision we would probably stay on Moorea. In fact, it is Moorea and Bora Bora that are the two Islands we talk of going back to (although our favorite excursion was on Raiatea). Also all things being equal, however, we would pick the Sheraton on Moorea over the Intercontinental because of it's beautiful beach, it's overall size, and the fact that to us the Sheraton really was the picture of the resort in paradise I had in my head.

We booked the dolphin encounter through the ship and did it as soon as booking excursions online was available (I believe 120 days prior to your cruise). You must book this one quickly as it does sell out.

Hilary

We stayed at the IC on Moorea and in Papeete. The one in Moorea is definitely a more enjoyable property, although they are both nice. We had an OWB on Moorea and really enjoyed snorkeling off of the deck, plus the grounds are gorgeous. The bungalows on Moorea are beautiful, especially the bathrooms. In Papeete, we stayed in a regular room because we were only there one night.

The IC on Moorea has a very nice watersports/activities desk ------ parasailing and a water shuttle to a motu, plus all the other activities that you can imagine. We very rarely saw another guest when strolling around the gardens at night.

I would agree with the previous replies that Moorea is very easy to get to using the ferry.

Hi! Thanks for the info. Another question would be, our plane gets in at 6:30p.m. would that still be enough time to catch a ferry to Moorea?

Thanks Julie

Julie - I did not see the Intercontinental on Tahiti so I can't speak for that hotel, BUt the one on Moorea was very nice. It was bigger that the Sheraton with a more "hotel" feel. We enjoyed our time on Moorea more than our time on Tahiti, so if it were our decision we would probably stay on Moorea. In fact, it is Moorea and Bora Bora that are the two Islands we talk of going back to (although our favorite excursion was on Raiatea). Also all things being equal, however, we would pick the Sheraton on Moorea over the Intercontinental because of it's beautiful beach, it's overall size, and the fact that to us the Sheraton really was the picture of the resort in paradise I had in my head.

We booked the dolphin encounter through the ship and did it as soon as booking excursions online was available (I believe 120 days prior to your cruise). You must book this one quickly as it does sell out.

Hilary

Sorry Julie,

Unless you want to pay 100$ for a 30minutes flight over to Moorea,you will have to stay a night in PPT when you arrive.

If I am correct, the flight you are getting in from is an Air Tahiti Nui from LAX. Yes, it arrive at 6:30pm (ours actually 1/2hr early). But we didn't set our foot outside the airport (after immigration & lugguage claim) until almost 8pm. The last ferry from PPT to Moorea is at 6pm.

Cindy

Archived