Do guarantees ever get you a better category anymore?

elmojessi

My husband and I started cruising in 2004 and for our first two cruises we booked inside guarantees and ended up with ocean views. The next few cruises we selected our rooms, then the past couple of years we’ve gone back to guarantees, but haven’t gotten “upgraded” to a different category since then. Does this ever happen anymore, or is it a thing of the past?

My husband and I started cruising in 2004 and for our first two cruises we booked inside guarantees and ended up with ocean views. The next few cruises we selected our rooms, then the past couple of years we’ve gone back to guarantees, but haven’t gotten “upgraded” to a different category since then. Does this ever happen anymore, or is it a thing of the past?

I haven't heard of being upgraded above the category booked, for example an inside guarantee gets an inside, an oceanview gets an oceanview. I've booked guarantees several times and never got a category upgrade.

I don't know about Carnival, but on my Norwegian Breakaway cruise, I upgraded to a balcony guarantee from a studio room for $300 three days before the cruise, and was put in a mini-suite. It was pretty awesome, since it was my solo birthday cruise.

I think it just depends on what's left when you're assigned. You have to be put in the category you booked or higher, so if there's still rooms in that category available when they're assigning rooms, you'll be placed there. If they've run out by the time they get to your reservation, they've got to place you in a higher category.

I've heard of a few situations like yours where they'll bump you up room type (Int-->OV, OV-->Balc, etc), but the most common type of GTY upgrade I've seen is where you're guaranteed a minimum cabin type and you get one of the nicer ones. On our honeymoon we booked a GTY balcony expecting an Obs. View and we got an aft-extended balcony.