Thoughts on Equinox

prim8keeper

I am looking to go on the Equinox for my 15 year wedding anniversary in 2016. My wife and I will have just turned 40. I am afraid there will people on the ship much older. Can anyone give me some insight?

I guess it will depend on if you enjoy a more relaxed cruise or want all the whistles...staying up late and really partying with the groups. Your personalities will dictate. My DH and I were in our 50's during our first Equinox cruise in the Eastern Mediterranean. It was in late May, so not many kids. We were a foursome, as we traveled with my cousin and her DH. It was absolutely fantastic! There were people younger, and lots who were older, but no wild parties etc....

It was a mix of fast rapids and then just a slow flowing river. I think there were four or five big rapids total. For the most part though it was just slow. The bus to and from where we started and ended was about an hour and we spent an hour, possibly more, tubing. Plus you have about 20 minutes at the falls. I think overall it was around four, four and a half hours long.

Thanks so much for your reply....did you book this through the ships tours, or did you book on your own....do you know if it is possible to book this on the pier upon arrival?:confused:

BABA7

Thanks so much for your reply....did you book this through the ships tours, or did you book on your own....do you know if it is possible to book this on the pier upon arrival?:confused:

BABA7

We did book through Celebrity. I pre-booked it online but there were people who booked it once we were on the ship. It was also obvious more spaces were available. That said I'm sure that varies widely from cruise to cruise.

Hi, We are doing exactly the same cruise in March and will be in an AQ room for the first time. Can you tell me if there is sparkling wine in the room on embarkation, and is there a fruit bowl that is replenished daily? Last time we were in Concierge Class and these things were standard and mentioned on the website. I can't see anything about them in the AQ descriptions. Thanks

Hi, We are doing exactly the same cruise in March and will be in an AQ room for the first time. Can you tell me if there is sparkling wine in the room on embarkation, and is there a fruit bowl that is replenished daily? Last time we were in Concierge Class and these things were standard and mentioned on the website. I can't see anything about them in the AQ descriptions. Thanks

They still give you sparkling wine on embarkation. The fruit bowls are gone. Now it will just be three pieces of fruit on a rectangle plate. We had three green apples which we never ate. Other friends told us they had an apple, pear and orange. So I imagine what you get depends on you state room attendant. There are also new canapés which are a huge improvement over the old ones. Make sure to try them!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm not sure but I have a friend who is on the 11 day now so when they get back I'll tell them to take a look.

That would be awesome thanks. If they write up any kind of review of things they did and liked/didn't like I would love it if you alerted me.

Thanks!

Was there anyone in your roll call with kids? We are taking our 3 and 6 year olds with us and wouldn't mind hearing from people with kids that have recently been on Equinox.

Thanks

There was one person on our roll call with kids, but no one else. However, once on the ship I did see a handful of them (less than 10) with the acitivies staff. I was actually surprised by the number. We did the same cruise last year and we never saw any kids. Depending on when you go though, aka closer to spring break, there will probably be more.

So we just returned from a 10 night cruise on the Equinox. This was our second time taking this cruise so I thought I would share some of the things I noticed that changed since last years cruise.

The level of service has improved greatly in all areas. I had seen on the main boards prior to leaving that X was going to really start focusing on service and it really shows. It seemed like everyone was doing everything they could to please the guest within reason. Now if they could only get this same level of service at their call center life would be great!

The quality of the food has improved leaps and bounds from a year ago. We were in Aqua class and as a result dined in Blu so I can not speak to the food in the MDR. Even on nights when we were not blown away by what we saw on the menu for Blu we found ourselves talking about how good the food was anyway. My favorite dish was a Maine Lobster salad starter that they served on the first night. If you are in Blu do not miss this! I also noticed in Murano that if you order the Lobster Murano you are now getting an actual full tail instead of just cut up pieces of lobster. Again this lobster was also very good. If you are on Equinox and have previously gone to Silk Harvest or have never tried it I would highly encourage you to visit. They revamped the menu and brought in a new chef. This was hands down my favorite specialty restaurant. We went there twice during the cruise and both times had an outstanding meal.

Overall bar service seemed to be on par with what we experienced on previous cruises. It did not seem as though there was an over whelming number of people with the beverage packages.

Since music always seem to be a hot topic on the boards I thought I would just throw in my two cents. There wasn't any place on the ship where I thought the live or canned in music was too loud. They also seemed to have plenty of live music around the ship during the cruise. The only time I saw a DJ was on embarkation day in the atrium.

Embarkation and disembarkation seemed to flow pretty well. When we showed up just after 11 am we were able to check in and walk right onto the ship. The rooms were ready before 1 pm. It was probably our smoothest boarding yet. For disembarkation we were in group 10. While we did briefly wait in lines they always seemed to be moving. That said there were only 4 agents that we could see working to clear everyone so I'm sure as the process moved along people experienced long waits.

This was the first cruise where we took some X excursions. I'm not sure I would do this again. They were ok, however having previously done only private excursions I think I prefer this method unless its a short port day or I am doing something that is far away from the port.

We are only classic captain's club members and thus did not attend any of the captain's club events since we aren't invited to very much.

I think that's it. Please feel free to ask any specific questions. I also have all the dailies, however I know someone recently posted those so I'm not sure if there is anything new in them. That said if anyone wants them I'll be happy to post them.

We we were

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We we were

We were on the same 1/31 Equinox sailing. I agree the service was outstanding. The food in the MDR was so good that this is the first time we skipped the specialty restaurants. Despite having the free beverage pkg we never waited for service and our sommelier in the MDR was the best in over 30 cruises. The only thing I disagree with you is the loud music. While it was fine everywhere on the ship the martini bar was the exception. It was techno music blasting so loud we couldn't carry on a conversation. The bartenders couldn't hear us. We couldn't hear the bartenders. At least once every night we complained. A supervisor came to see us and assured us they would turn it down and they did. For about 10 minutes. Several different people in our group on any given night went to customer relations to complain. They were well aware if all the complaints and would " look into it". It continued the entire 10 nights. We finally gave up....