Door/Room Decorating Pros/Cons

IMKTDQT810

I have never decorated our door, but this year DS (9) will be sailing and since he will have his S&S card I don't mind him beating us to the cabin...and would like to know he is opening our door and not standing outside the wrong door! I decorated our door (And hotel windows) for fun at Disney World and he liked that....easy for him to run ahead and "open" the door for us as we strolled back to the room.

I saw that JH posted on FB that some folks has used GLUE & Tape!! What!?! So, this got me thinking of a few things...

Are cabin doors metal for magnets? If so, I'll buy a few from the $ store to take and not worry if they get taken. And what have folks used to decorate their rooms with? Not sure I will be doing that....but interested in knowing. Please feel free to post pics also

Thanks!!

Some of them are metal and some are not so the magnets won't work on all ships. I have used the cling type decorations in the past. They will work on any door and doesn't leave anything behind when you take them off. This is one that I have ordered for our next cruise. http://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Ship-Porthole-Peel-Place/dp/B004833K9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392154033&sr=8-1&keywords=porthole+decoration I might get something else to go with it.

I am really tempted to order this as well and put it up on the bathroom door while my daughter and her friend are out of the cabin. A funny little surprise for them to find. http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Captain-Restroom-Cover-Accessory/dp/B004B5BX06/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392154099&sr=8-2&keywords=pirate+door+cover

We usually use the blue painters tape, that comes off easy and doesnt leave a mark but you will need to double it over on the back so it isnt seen.

We have decorated our cabin doors a few times, usually when we cruise at Christmas or if we are having a birthday on board.

Christmas my favorite is to get wide red ribbon and a BIG bow and make the cabin door look like a parcel.

Birthday usually use the big sheet of poster board and decorate it how ever, add a few balloons the day of the birthday.

Last year we cruise Easter and I got a ton of foam easter eggs from Walmart and a bucket of foam shapes/letter ands let our kids decorate them however they wanted, we each made one with our name on and one per port then the rest was their imagination.

We've decorated our cabin doors in the past--it's kinda fun and gives us a good way to locate our cabin in a long hallway of look-alike cabin doors.

For those cabins with metal doors, bring a really strong magnet. The common refrigerator magnets will not hold decorations very well on those doors.

As said above a lot are metal. For sure the sunshine, paradise are metal. We cruised those last year. I also used command strips to mount things on the door. You can buy them clear and just use the strips as double sided tape. Come off like a dream.

Some of them are metal and some are not so the magnets won't work on all ships. I have used the cling type decorations in the past. They will work on any door and doesn't leave anything behind when you take them off. This is one that I have ordered for our next cruise. http://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Ship-Porthole-Peel-Place/dp/B004833K9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392154033&sr=8-1&keywords=porthole+decoration

Ha! I got the same decoration for my parents' cabin on our upcoming Legend cruise. In December we celebrated my dad's birthday aboard the Ecstasy, and he got such a kick out of the room/door decorations my mom and I put up that I thought I'd decorate for them this time too. My BFF and I booked and then my parents invited themselves along in the cabin next door. I've got cocktail lounge cling decorations for mine and my BFF's cabin.

I have never decorated our door, but this year DS (9) will be sailing and since he will have his S&S card I don't mind him beating us to the cabin...and would like to know he is opening our door and not standing outside the wrong door! I decorated our door (And hotel windows) for fun at Disney World and he liked that....easy for him to run ahead and "open" the door for us as we strolled back to the room.

I saw that JH posted on FB that some folks has used GLUE & Tape!! What!?! So, this got me thinking of a few things...

Are cabin doors metal for magnets? If so, I'll buy a few from the $ store to take and not worry if they get taken. And what have folks used to decorate their rooms with? Not sure I will be doing that....but interested in knowing. Please feel free to post pics also

Thanks!!

Nice for the young ones.

• 2 months later...
Some of them are metal and some are not so the magnets won't work on all ships. I have used the cling type decorations in the past. They will work on any door and doesn't leave anything behind when you take them off. This is one that I have ordered for our next cruise. http://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Ship-Porthole-Peel-Place/dp/B004833K9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392154033&sr=8-1&keywords=porthole+decoration I might get something else to go with it.

I am really tempted to order this as well and put it up on the bathroom door while my daughter and her friend are out of the cabin. A funny little surprise for them to find. http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Captain-Restroom-Cover-Accessory/dp/B004B5BX06/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392154099&sr=8-2&keywords=pirate+door+cover

Thanks! I just ordered the porthole decoration for our door from amazon for $2.99. I also bought something else so my shipping was free.

I use double sided poster tape. It comes off like a dream (no pun intended) and leaves no residue. I decorate my door because it is fun and helps me find the cabin with or without my glasses. :rolleyes:

We are all adults and still love to decorate our door. I buy the putty stuff that teachers use and it rolls right off when pulled off. I LOVE to do it because anytime you are coming down the hall and ALL the doors look the same, it makes yours standout!

The past couple of cruises we've taken have been during spring break, which also coincides with my son's birthday, so I decorate the door by folding a piece of Birthday themed wrapping paper into a flat square, wrapping the square with ribbon and then putting a bow on it. I also found glitter stick on letters at a dollar store so I put "Happy Birthday!" on the "birthday present."

We also decorated our door this past Christmas cruise. I had shiny green garland that had holographic ornaments woven into it and I put it around the edges of the door. I used clear packing tape (that we also use for our Carnival luggage tags) and it comes off easily and leaves no residue.

One of our neighbors across the hall commented that she was glad that we had decorated our door because her family was able to easily find their room by looking for our decorated door. :)