Our Gluten Free Experience on the Carnival Dream

L&J

Happy to hear of your good experience. I have tree nut and shell fish allergies and Carnival was so accommodating for me!

Carnival Ecstacy~ July 1990

Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas~ July 2002

Carnival Paradise~ June 2003

Carnival Triumph~ July 2005

Carnival Glory~ June 2012

And soon to be...Carnival Fascination~ August 2015

The dispenser iced tea is horrible.

I make my own

Two tea bags brewed extra long. Then poured over a full glass of ice.

For sweet tea, dissolve tea in a bit of hot water as a first step.

The dispenser iced tea is horrible.

I make my own

Two tea bags brewed extra long. Then poured over a full glass of ice.

For sweet tea, dissolve tea in a bit of hot water as a first step.

Correction-

For sweet tea, dissolve SUGAR in a bit of hot water as a first step.

• 2 weeks later...

Posts like this make me feel so much better about cruising soon. I have a lot of very specific food restrictions and this is fairly new for me. Eating at home is sometimes a challenge and eating out is not something we have done a lot of yet. Who wants to be hungry on a boat?!?

Thank You so much for posting this review.. My bestfriend will be cruising with us in April on the Sunshine and she also has Celiac disease, and needs to stay far away from anything with gluten..Its great to know your family had a good experience with Carnival being so helpful..I'm going to forward your review to my buddy which I know she'll enjoy . from what I've read it even through other reports , Carnival really does go above and beyond to make sure your dining experiences ,if it needs to be gluten free are enjoyable. Glad you had a great cruise!

L&J – Thank you so much for your post! My son has Dermatitis Herpetiformis and is now 10 but we have had to go gluten free now and have for almost a year. We finally have his skin issues cleared up and some of his other issues resolved. I have been so worried about going backwards and have been super worried about our next cruise. I have contacted guest services and told our TA and put notes on our booking but have still been very stressed. I too have several items in my suitcase that I know he can eat without issues. (I will however take out his loaf of bread after reading this):cool: I can’t tell you how much I appreciated your wonderful post about how awesome Carnival was with you. :D

Sorry about the face painting – I remember my son breaking out so very badly from face paint before his dx. (We still have a huge issue with sunscreen)

Thank you again for your awesome post!

• 1 year later...

Great review! I love reading about others experiences. I invite you to visit "Cruising Gluten Free" Facebook page and share your experience with others there, even if you just copy and paste your reviews. Cruising Gluten Free is a community page all about gluten free cruising where people can share experiences they had while on different cruise lines. https://www.facebook.com/Cruising-Gluten-Free-1168324309904061/

Make sure to LIKE us and share. Thanks

Love reading the great things - my son is 12 and has celiac as well and we have cruised several times on carnival and on other lines. Carnival has always been the best and has always gone out of their way to make my son feel special. He has had lobster and frog legs and other items. (he will try just about anything) On some cruises he has gotten special desserts. We have done the Dr Seuss breakfast and again my son has been able to participate which has always been nice.

To the original poster - totally understand the face painting before my son was dx he would do face painting stuff and breakout in horrible blisters to the point where we said no more face painting at all - and we found ways to cover him up so he wouldn't have to wear sunscreen as the blisters were awful. I understand your pain. I never had a clue how many things gluten was in before all of this.

Love reading the great things - my son is 12 and has celiac as well and we have cruised several times on carnival and on other lines. Carnival has always been the best and has always gone out of their way to make my son feel special. He has had lobster and frog legs and other items. (he will try just about anything) On some cruises he has gotten special desserts. We have done the Dr Seuss breakfast and again my son has been able to participate which has always been nice.

To the original poster - totally understand the face painting before my son was dx he would do face painting stuff and breakout in horrible blisters to the point where we said no more face painting at all - and we found ways to cover him up so he wouldn't have to wear sunscreen as the blisters were awful. I understand your pain. I never had a clue how many things gluten was in before all of this.

How did they handle it at the dr suess breakfast? We have 2 one year olds in our group, one allergic to nuts and my son is allergic to dairy and hazelnut. Do you pre order when you book it or they just tell you what they can eat? Dairy is so hard because it is in so many things you wouldn't expect it to be and he ends up with hives and stomach issues from it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

horsegal -

We ordered the night before at dinner. (we ordered breakfast and the next days dinner at dinner) There are only certain things he can have for breakfast - he doesn't get all the choices but at least he get's to participate. :)

Thank you! I just feel so bad when he wants my food but he can't have it, I know he'll get used to it but you can't really explain it to a 15 month old lol

Hi all! I LOVE seeing that this thread is alive again since I posted it almost 3 years ago.

We leave next Friday on the Vista (Jan 28) and Shelby is excited for her third cruise. We are not even concerned about her diet this time because experience tells us she will be well taken care of. She'll get to try Guys Burgers and even the Pig N Anchor smokehouse!

Her skin is healed, her Celiac is under control and her blood tests are coming back normal now. Whew. Unfortunately, her cousin was just diagnosed with it this week but at least she's not alone in this journey now.

As always, we've noted her GF diet on our file and will stick to the dining room for dinners. We like assigned seating so we always have the same waitstaff to keep things simple.

I've been unable to find out if the new whipped ice cream station on the Vista is safe for her. I'm very concerned that the toppings are out for the public to touch. She might just have to stick to the usual ice cream machines on the Lido deck.

I'll be packing her granola bars, snacks and Lays chips tubes for port days so she has a safe snack until we're back on board. I'll be sure to post about the Vista's GF experience!

Happy sailing!

• 1 month later...
Do you know if we can make sandwiches on the gluten free bread to take into ports? I am concerned that there won't be acceptable food for my daughter on the Caribbean cruise.

Not allowed, you can't bring un packaged food into port. It can introduce harmful things to the environment. Your best bet is to bring pre packaged items from home that she can eat that is what we did for my son that has a dairy allergy (and a very picky one year old!). At one of the ports they even had a dog sniffing all the bags going off the ship.

Do you know if we can make sandwiches on the gluten free bread to take into ports? I am concerned that there won't be acceptable food for my daughter on the Caribbean cruise.

We always take sandwiches from the ship onto the ports. I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to.

Not allowed, you can't bring un packaged food into port. It can introduce harmful things to the environment. Your best bet is to bring pre packaged items from home that she can eat that is what we did for my son that has a dairy allergy (and a very picky one year old!). At one of the ports they even had a dog sniffing all the bags going off the ship.

Um, I don't think this is true. We always take sandwiches from the ship onto the ports and have never been told we can't do so. What could it possibly introduce into the environment?! It's food, not Roundup.

We always take sandwiches from the ship onto the ports. I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to.

Um, I don't think this is true. We always take sandwiches from the ship onto the ports and have never been told we can't do so. What could it possibly introduce into the environment?! It's food, not Roundup.

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!!!!

No food for trip home?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2464219

I do not want to be crop dusted with Malathion, wrapping jungle gyms and not being able to use the AC in the SoCal summer because some bug has been introduced into the environment.

Right now we're fighting the Asian Psylliad. And yes, I've seen Fruit flies and have had bugs in my food on cruise ships.

We have serious food allergies. We bring off appropriate commercially packaged foods. We also use allergy cards in ports.

This is ABSOLUTELY true. Please don't do it.

Hi all! I LOVE seeing that this thread is alive again since I posted it almost 3 years ago.

We leave next Friday on the Vista (Jan 28) and Shelby is excited for her third cruise. We are not even concerned about her diet this time because experience tells us she will be well taken care of. She'll get to try Guys Burgers and even the Pig N Anchor smokehouse!

Her skin is healed, her Celiac is under control and her blood tests are coming back normal now. Whew. Unfortunately, her cousin was just diagnosed with it this week but at least she's not alone in this journey now.

As always, we've noted her GF diet on our file and will stick to the dining room for dinners. We like assigned seating so we always have the same waitstaff to keep things simple.

I've been unable to find out if the new whipped ice cream station on the Vista is safe for her. I'm very concerned that the toppings are out for the public to touch. She might just have to stick to the usual ice cream machines on the Lido deck.

I'll be packing her granola bars, snacks and Lays chips tubes for port days so she has a safe snack until we're back on board. I'll be sure to post about the Vista's GF experience!

Happy sailing!

My friend and I are sailing the Vista in October. She was diagnosed last year with Celiacs and I was concerned with her sailing. Any thoughts / advise on your Gluten free experience in the Vista?