Just back and charged an additional $272.87???

agc291

I use a credit card, but my sister uses cash. She put down only $100 on her account at embarkation and the check-in lady didn't even bat an eyelash.

When the auto-grats were charged on the second day, that nearly wiped out her cash balance...I told her that would be happening! :)

I agree with this. However, you also have to have a credit card limit that will support the pending charges.

We have one particular card that is saved for travel. It has a very high limit just in case we have an emergency while traveling. Even if you have travel insurance if you have a medical problem and are treated out of the country, most places will make you pay first and then get reimbursed from the insurance company. I hope the angels are with lots of these people who scrimp and save just to get on the cruise and have no cushion to fall back on if something bad happens.

It's not a matter of having a cushion, or a card that will handle it... But if I have an option, I will always pay cash... Why create debt when I can live debt free??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's not a matter of having a cushion, or a card that will handle it... But if I have an option, I will always pay cash... Why create debt when I can live debt free??

Because if you pay off the CC in full each month there is no finance charge or debt. It's just another form of payment where you get to use their money for 25 days or so.

A CC is also safer than cash and many CC's have some sort of "bonus".

Our bonus is airline miles. Seven of us flew to Europe for $88/person this past summer. THAT helped keep me almost debt free. Only debt I have is at 0% interest.

Edited by fuddrules

Op, did you use a debit card? This happened to me and like happy says, they were pending charges. Depending on your bank, it may take a few days for the charges to drop.

This doesn't just happen on debit cards. Happens on credit cards, too. I've been on longer trips (not cruises) where the temporary authorizations from hotels, rental car, etc. etc.. have totalled thousand of dollars, which can cause a problem if you don't have enough available credit on the card.

I can't imagine I'd ever use cash, but for those who do, I have a question..............

Let's say you put $100 on your S&S card when you board. As you go through the day, you spend $50, but then you decide to buy a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff in the shops. Since you don't have that much balance on your S&S card, do they decline the transaction???????

Edited by 1313steve

I just wanted to find out which ships/stateroom categories have the mini-bars. Our last CCL cruise was 2010 on the Dream and our stateroom (cove) didn't have a mini-bar. Just an empty fridge. Is the mini-bar standard now.

Just wanted to find out if we could indeed have ours locked since we don't use it.

This doesn't just happen on debit cards. Happens on credit cards, too. I've been on longer trips (not cruises) where the temporary authorizations from hotels, rental car, etc. etc.. have totalled thousand of dollars, which can cause a problem if you don't have enough available credit on the card.

I can't imagine I'd ever use cash, but for those who do, I have a question..............

Let's say you put $100 on your S&S card when you board. As you go through the day, you spend $50, but then you decide to buy a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff in the shops. Since you don't have that much balance on your S&S card, do they decline the transaction???????

W

Wow...that is CRAZY!

Last time I asked to have the fridge emptied - on the Magic I believe - I was told "no" that he wasn't allowed. :rolleyes: So - now we just asked that it be lock it - it's not cold enough to keep anything in anyway...IMO!

When we were on the Magic, our steward put them in a cabinet somewhere for us so we could use it for our champagne. It's not super cold but it keeps the white wine at a good temp.

On my very first cruise, my husband and I went separately to put money on our S&S cards and they put two separate holds on our shared credit card. We didn't really think that through... LOL

Did you pay for your gratuities in advance? When you don't pay for them in advance they automatically get added to your sign and sail card the day you disembark. Just a thought? Hope all works out for you.

Everything all worked out. They were temp holds. We always use cash and are aware of the tips. We dont pre pay them but rather put that money on in addition to the cash we want on our acct when we board. In our experience the tips come out on the second day so we always make sure they are covered.

We do live debt free. The credit card bill is paid in full the same day it arrives. Why should I pay in cash when I can keep the money in my account for an extra month until the bill comes? The only thing we have ever paid interest on was our mortgage, and we paid the house off 20 years early. Never had a car loan in our lives.

We actually make money off the credit cards by getting a cash back bonus of more than $2000 a year on the Discover and get enough miles for several free airline tickets on another card. We don't use any credit cards that have fees.

Edited by DebJ14