Back-to-Back SoCa part ONE

Jborosara

As promised, starting the actual review - I'll try to be as detailed as possible and as objective as I can, but honestly, can think of very few negatives about the cruise... except that maybe it was too short...:-)

We have taken both of these cruises before - this was actually our 4th and 5th cruises on the Summit in the Southern Caribbean... it was my 50th birthday and my husband asked what I wanted - I wanted two weeks where it was warm when it's cold at home... and I got exactly what I asked for. It was five degrees (farenheit) when we left Memphis on January 24 and 85 when we landed in San Juan! SCORE!

I booked the back-to-back in August of 2012 and was lucky enough (and early enough) to snag one of the aft AQ rooms for both weeks (1130). We sailed in 1138 the year before and enjoyed the room just as much. I like the oversized balcony and the overhang (love to sit outside but need a break from the sun)... I'll say more about that later, but don't want to get ahead of myself.

Edited by Jborosara

We left our hometown about 330am to make our 6am flight out of Memphis. It was very early, but we wanted some time in San Juan before dinner and before boarding the ship the next day. But it was verrrryyy early!

IMG_1904.jpg

our takeoff from Memphis - sun barely visible out the window

IMG_1907.jpg

Hotlanta out the window - one flight down - one to go

IMG_1932.jpg

We landed right on time in San Juan about 230pm. The flights were as smooth as we'd ever had and it seemed vacation was off to a fabulous start. I think one of my lessons from this trip should have been expect the unexpected, as well as that people are basically kind and caring.

As soon as we got into the cab after collecting our bags, I got a text from a family friend that my uncle had died suddenly that very morning - probably as we were boarding the plane in Memphis. It was sudden, though certainly not tragic - we were close and I was heartbroken. I immediately called Delta to see about getting back home ASAP and there just were not any flights out of San Juan before early the next week (it is cruise weekend, after all). I talked to my cousin who absolutely forbade us to change our vacation and decided that even with a heavy heart, we didn't have much choice but to go on. My uncle was a fun guy - he taught me how to fish - how to water ski - and how to play poker and gin rummy. He was a kind and generous person who would help anyone who had need. He loved his family fiercely and the only time I ever saw him angered was when someone wronged his family. And at the end of the day, I knew he kick my butt if I cancelled my birthday trip to come to his funeral.

However (and this is where the kindness of strangers comes in) - I was so distraught in the cab that I left my prescription bifocal glasses in the cab. It should be noted that (1) I can see almost nothing without my glasses and that (2) my favorite vacation activity is doing crosswords sitting on the beach in the shade and (3) you cannot get bifocals made quickly - at least not the noline ones that I use and am used to using.... not exactly the way I wanted a vacation to start.... but sometimes life intervenes.

We had reservations at the La Concha Renaissance through Celebrity. Yes, we know it is way overpriced compared to just making the reservation ourselves... But it is nice to have someone pick the bags up in the morning and see them next in your room.... very nice, so we paid the premium for it. I realized the glasses were missing as soon as we finished checking in and I will just admit that the combination of my uncle's death and the loss of the glasses just destroyed me. I'm really not a weepy person, but I just broke down and started crying... uncontrollably... in the lobby of the hotel. Embarrassing now that I think about it in hindsight - but it was what it was.

Unbeknownst to me, my husband and hotel employees were on the phone with the cab company searching for my glasses. We got checked in - I took a much needed nap - woke up in a better frame of mind, and decided I could at least grab a pair of readers at Walgreens before we went to dinner that night - determined to make the best of a bad situation.

We had reservations at Perla that night - aside... it is amazing and wonderful - the setting is beautiful - the food is fabulous and the service amazing. I want to go back sometime when I am more in the mood to enjoy the evening.

HOWEVER (this is the kindness of strangers part), while we were at dinner, we got a call from the cab company that they found my glasses and were bringing them to the hotel. We offered to pay the driver the roundtrip fare for his trouble, but he was having none of it. I gave him the cash anyway - I was just so relieved to be able to see (those of you who wear glasses will understand)

Sorry for your loss and try to enjoy your cruise.

thanks so much - like I said, it was sudden, but not tragic - he was 89, his wife of over 60 years has severe dementia and hasn't known any of us for several years - I honestly think his heart was just broken.

And just ftr... we did have a great trip - off to a rocky start (I didn't mention that I broke my wrist the day before we left, did I?), but bad things seem to come in threes....

I should also mention that my husband was amazing and supportive through all of this - the hotel staff were lovely and I feel quite certain that they felt so badly for me, that we got an upgraded room.... it certainly was not the worst room in the place, which is what I am accustomed to getting when I book a hotel through a cruiseline.

I would've worked on this review last night, but CC was down, so it didn't happen... what it did do was give me a chance to organize my pictures.... I'm at work today - will do what I can when I can... sorry to the folks who are leaving this week - but we will all have to look forward to your review when you get back:-)

The thing I like about having hotel rezzies through the cruiseline is that I don't have to mess with my bags on the morning of embarkation - I like to explore where I am and don't like to wait in line to be the first one on board, so it is a welcome relief to send my bags on to the ship while I explore.

I made reservations for a massage for my husband and a mani/pedi for myself at the ZenSpa Condado. It is directly across from the hotel and is a lovely facility with great service. I didn't know how much we'd need our "spa time" when I arranged this, but it was welcome. It was also very easy to do over the internet. I love spa treatments, but I don't love spa treatments on the ship (hate that hard sell bologne)... so this seemed a good way to start off our vacation.

I also had lunch reservations at Budatai that I made on opentable.com. It was just awesome - next time I'm in PR, I'm going there for dinner! My husband and I took advice from our waiter and shared some small plates - a duck dish that was just to die for - some really good sushi - soup... not to mention a drink that was essentially a combination caiprihina and champagne...

DSCN0084.jpg

I am sorry for your loss and for the broken wrist! No wonder you broke down after losing the glasses. Lack of sleep didn't help, either. Poor dear. :(

I know what you were going through. My brother and I were cruising together with our spouses in Europe last May when our sister passed away. It was not unexpected, but we were not expecting it so soon. We could not get back in time for the funeral as we were at sea and then the next port of call was in Dubrovnik, with limited flights. We would have arrived after the funeral. After talking to my brother-in-law, we decided to continue the trip.

Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing about your stateroom. We have an AQ aft reserved on the Connie for our upcoming Baltics cruise.

I am also looking to hear about your private excursion episode. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

La Concha is a lovely property - I would definitely stay here if I ever come back to Condado - the rooms are bright and airy and clean. Ours was huge (forgot to take a pic) - actually it was a suite - had a separate living area and a balcony with some furniture that looked out onto Ashford Ave... only thing that would have made it better would have been an ocean view.... :-)

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0081.jpg

The inifinity edge pool at the property is in the foreground of this pic. They were having a wedding the day we were here, so no one was swimming - given more time at La Concha, I'd definitely be spending some time here:-)

DSCN0104.jpg

The obligatory toes in the sand picture.... please note the Cardinals tattoo on my left foot, as pitchers and catchers reported yesterday:-)

DSCN0096.jpg

Perla is a lovely venue - a very cool design concept - the only thing I would have preferred would be that the windows actually open and let the sea breeze in - I did not get pics inside the restaurant at dinner - head just wasn't there - but the clam shell is the restaurant from the outside.

DSCN0096.jpg

We've stayed numerous times in OSJ so chose Condado this time to try something new. There are descriptions all over the internet of the "high-end" shopping on Ashford - be clear - they mean HIGH end... my husband tried on a swimsuit that he almost took to the cashier before I happened to look at a price tag - how much can a pair of swim trunks cost, really? - the answer is 268 bucks... way too rich for our blood:-)

it is not the prettiest beach in the world - but it is pretty - it is a beach - it is warm....

DSCN0101.jpg

it is also rocky - water shoes recommended....

DSCN0100.jpg

After not buying a pair of swim trunks in Condado, we opted to start thinking about heading to the pier.

First stop, a wine store. We are both big wine drinkers and really enjoy a glass (or three) on our balcony in the late afternoon/early evening. After asking around a bit, we found a really great spot that appeared to be not much more than a corner grocery store, but had a great selection of nice wines for reasonable prices. My husband scored his favorite (Joseph Phelps Cabernet) for about what we pay for it here and I picked a bottle of merlot. We had the premium alcohol package for the cruise so weren't worried about trying to sneak extra on board (though for two weeks we technically would be allotted four bottles, not two) - but if one were so inclined to sneak extra wine on board, it would be easy.

We noticed the cool bar in the lobby of the LaConcha the night before but didn't stop there due to just being worn out in every way possible. However, we decided we needed to be able to report back on the quality of drinks at that bar fully for this report (taking one for the team:-) - I had a caiprihina - my husband had a mojito - both were excellent and sturdy drinks.

I really wish I had taken more interior pictures of the LaConcha - there are a lot out there on the internet and all I can say is that they do not do the place justice. It is just beautiful! But... it was time to go... for now.

The taxi ride to the pier was quick and painless. We arrived around 330pm or so - were on board by 340pm and our bags were waiting in hall for us (yet another benefit to sending them early - they get delivered early). We enjoyed our bubbly and were unpacked for our two week adventure by 430 in the afternoon... at which time it was time for our first (of many) glass of wine at Cellar Masters.

Great review dear!!!! So sorry for all the the craziness at the beginning of the trip and for the loss of your uncle....... I'm glad you got to continue on with your trip. I had the same thing happen to me with my grandfather when I took my daughter on a trip to Disney World, it was my first real vacation where I was the adult in charge:)

My parents made the wise decision not to tell me until I got back.......

Love La Conch, staying there in April when I do the Summit Repo. there are some great hotels in Puerto Rico, but after staying at La Concha last year I could never go back.......

Looking forward to the rest of your review!!!!!

Great review and sorry about the start.

My mum died in 2011, just before a trans-atlantic cruise. We arranged to miss the first few days, to attend the funeral, then joined the ship at Malaga. When we got on board, they'd given our cabin away, one that we particularly wanted. Guest services really upset me and I broke down. Guest services director then found email advising them of late arrival and all was sorted, and they spoilt us for the rest of the cruise, so you see others also get upset, it's quite natural.

I look forward to the rest.

We literally were on board and in our room with our bags by 430pm - plenty of time to unpack before heading to Cellar Masters for our first glass of wine.

Let me say here and now that the sommelier in Cellar Masters, Ana, was one of the highlights of this trip - she is both personable and highly knowledgable. Within an hour or two she knew our names, by the second night, she had our account numbers memorized. I watched her do the same thing with all of her regular customers. She had a real sense for who was willing to spend what - never shamed anyone who ordered an awful wine (truth time... I'm a wine snob - I admit it - I'm ok not to have wine - but if it is awful, I just won't drink it - I have a t-shirt that reads "friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel") - by far the best sommelier we've ever encountered on a cruise ship... just awesome!

I ALWAYS start with a glass of Elk Cove Pinot Gris.... and it did not disappoint.

Some of you may have read my sneak peak - someone asked me why we came back in 2014 after a disappointing 2013... the short answer is that we already had the reservation - already had the time off work and already had the aft AQ balcony for two weeks. We really were disappointed in our experience in 2013 - we thought the service across the board was off - it was off especially in Blu in 2013.... So we came on this trip with fairly low expectations, just happy to be with each other and to be where it was warm.... we could not have been more wrong.

I did not take a lot of pictures of the ship - I am so sorry for those of you that are looking for those pics... It was our fourth and fifth time, respectively on the Summit - it feels a little like home away from home - a comfortable old sweatshirt (Cardinals' sweatshirt, of course:-) - so I didn't take pictures -

Last year we hurried to get dinner in Blu prior to the muster drill at 745 - this year, we'd had lunch at Budatai and weren't that hungry so we waited until afterwards... What an awesome idea! No line - no crowd - no wait. Great food - great service... it was the Blu I fell in love with in 2012...

After dinner, I was tired and ready for bed and ready for rest.... The seas were surprisingly rough that first night (and most nights after) - in four years of going to the southern Caribbean, by far, the roughest seas of any cruise.

We literally were on board and in our room with our bags by 430pm - plenty of time to unpack before heading to Cellar Masters for our first glass of wine.

Let me say here and now that the sommelier in Cellar Masters, Ana, was one of the highlights of this trip - she is both personable and highly knowledgable. Within an hour or two she knew our names, by the second night, she had our account numbers memorized. I watched her do the same thing with all of her regular customers. She had a real sense for who was willing to spend what - never shamed anyone who ordered an awful wine (truth time... I'm a wine snob - I admit it - I'm ok not to have wine - but if it is awful, I just won't drink it - I have a t-shirt that reads "friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel") - by far the best sommelier we've ever encountered on a cruise ship... just awesome!

I ALWAYS start with a glass of Elk Cove Pinot Gris.... and it did not disappoint.

Some of you may have read my sneak peak - someone asked me why we came back in 2014 after a disappointing 2013... the short answer is that we already had the reservation - already had the time off work and already had the aft AQ balcony for two weeks. We really were disappointed in our experience in 2013 - we thought the service across the board was off - it was off especially in Blu in 2013.... So we came on this trip with fairly low expectations, just happy to be with each other and to be where it was warm.... we could not have been more wrong.

I did not take a lot of pictures of the ship - I am so sorry for those of you that are looking for those pics... It was our fourth and fifth time, respectively on the Summit - it feels a little like home away from home - a comfortable old sweatshirt (Cardinals' sweatshirt, of course:-) - so I didn't take pictures -

Last year we hurried to get dinner in Blu prior to the muster drill at 745 - this year, we'd had lunch at Budatai and weren't that hungry so we waited until afterwards... What an awesome idea! No line - no crowd - no wait. Great food - great service... it was the Blu I fell in love with in 2012...

After dinner, I was tired and ready for bed and ready for rest.... The seas were surprisingly rough that first night (and most nights after) - in four years of going to the southern Caribbean, by far, the roughest seas of any cruise.

Does Anna have short reddish hair? I think she may have been the sommelier in Normandy, we loved last year, we sailed with her twice and immediately she remembered us the second she saw us, she even remembered out names six months later:)

We booked room 1130 in August of 2012 for this trip. After much thought, I decided I just wanted to do something familiar and warm and two weeks long for my 50th birthday.

I love the aft view - yes, I know there is more movement aft - and there is certainly more movement on the 11th floor... but I'm just a sucker for the aft view. Last year we were in 1138, which is one closer to the center. This year, it was not available for both weeks, and I did not want to have to move, so we took 1130.

I have always thought that I wanted that 1140 - the biggest balcony, but we talked to the folks in that room and they did not like that balcony - they thought that it was a bit tunnel like.

Does Anna have short reddish hair? I think she may have been the sommelier in Normandy, we loved last year, we sailed with her twice and immediately she remembered us the second she saw us, she even remembered out names six months later:)

yes... short reddish hair - dating a Turkish fellow and planning to leave the ship in about seven or eight months... sadly.

I am a sucker for the aft view - and I love the way the aft AQ balconies are configured - There is plenty of shade and plenty of room under the stars. 1130 is about half and half shade/stars (I don't do sun - melanoma survivor). We spent many hours on the balcony under the stars and just soaking in our aft view.

DSCN0106.jpg

Now... it should be said that you will smell smoke on any of the aft balconies. We smelled it last year on 1138 and even on 1130, which is the farthest from the smoking area. Cigars can be especially pungent; however, I'm a rabid anti-smoker and I will say that while I did smell the smoke, it was not bothersome.

We spent the sea day doing not much of anything except sleeping late and tasting wine. The world wine tour is a lot of fun - for 20 bucks you tast 12 wines - they'll serve you as much as you want in that hour. It's fun to taste things I might not think to order and to interact with several different sommeliers. Would definitely do this again - and we did:-)

Make no mistake of it - the gym will be crowded on sea days - it was on ours. But we were able to get a workout in before the wine. My only complaint is that the 20minute limit on cardio equipment is insufficient time to get in a good cardio workout - I understand why it is there - it's just not enough time. We adhered to the limit, but many others did not - I suspect a more reasonable limit would be better followed - maybe some sort of "sign out" system for the popular equipment...

It was also the first formal night of the cruise. We are not formal fans - part of our reason for booking AQ is avoiding formal nights. I would say diners in Blu that night were probably largely smart casual - certainly enough folks in formal wear that if you wanted to go formal, you'd fit in fine.... but probably 3/4 smart casual.

I did not take notes regarding our menus - did not take pictures of food - so sorry - I will say that we never had a "bad" meal in Blu. There were some we liked better than others but none were bad.

What impressed me the most this year, was the real upswing in service at Blu. We never waited more than about two or three minutes for a table - We never waited too long for wine service (though Eren, the sommelier, could clearly use some help) - our waiters were helpful and knowledgable. I was most impressed by the Maitre'D - I personally saw him ask suite guests to come back later to be seated and heard him on the phone with a butler telling him that Blu was too crowded to accommodate suite guests that night. He made certain to celebrate my birthday and our anniversary - and when we could not finish the very rich desert they sent us, the happily delivered it to our room. Not a perfect experience (listen to your waiter when he tells you the risotto is not good), but an excellent one. Reminded us why we chose to give Celebrity another chance.

This was our third time to visit Barbados on a cruise ship - we love this port.... it might actually be more honest to say we love the Calabazza excursion - Gina and her crew know how to do customer service - it a bit pricy, but to me, totally worth it.

Early in the day, the weather was not great - downright terrible, to be honest. There was even talk of packing it in early due to the rain and wind and shade. We were cold and shivering, but somewhere around 11am the weather broke and the sun came out. We had a truly wonderful, amazing day.

We did this excursion for the first time last year - but we enjoyed this year much more for a number of reasons, not the least of which was that we were not anticipating climbing Gros Piton the next day this year. Last year, we were so worried about being hung over for our climb that we didn't enjoy the rum punch or the wine or even really the delicious food.

First stop - swimming with turtles. I believe we stopped at Carlisle bay but don't know for sure. It should be noted that there are several places that turtles frequent in Barbados and many of them could be reached from shore - this was one of those.

PICT0402.jpg

We really were that close to the turtles. They are amazing and beautiful creatures and I never tire of swimming with them.

PICT0397.jpg

The water this year was much clearer than last year - while the weather was not great initially, once in the water, all was good.

PICT0396.jpg

yes... short reddish hair - dating a Turkish fellow and planning to leave the ship in about seven or eight months... sadly.

Yes definitely in love...... First time I met her she had not met him yet....next time you could see it in her eyes:) This day for me on is "the one". I am happy that it looks like she will be there when I sail in April:)

Great review, great pictures of the turtles!!! I almost sailed with Gina once, she was booked so she arranged a day for me on a friend's catamaran...it was amazing I loved it:)