Canada/New England Cruise in October

tellmelies

I don't see as much posted about this cruise, and I wondered what folks opinions are on it. My husband and I are looking into taking this cruise in October (ten year anniversary). Is it going to be too cold? We currently live in Utah now (due to being in the military), so we can handle the cold. I just don't know what to expect. Is this cruise recommended by those who have taken it? How's the Splendor? Thank you all for your help!

Jaems

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jaems, depends on what you consider cold... We are going in Sept and the "average temps" for that time are upper 60s during the day, 40s/50s at night. So, I assume in Oct, it will be a bit colder. Definitely not "shorts/t-shirts" weather :) And I am in Maryland, looking to move to Utah in the next few years.

We went this past September and had a great cruise. The weather was in the high 60s during the day for us. I got sunburn as I was not thinking about how strong the sun might be while in Halifax. We could tell who was from the south on our cruise as they had coats on some of the time. It was a little chilly on our balcony in the evening.

I did this cruise out of NYC on Glory the third week of Sept in 2012. Boston was in the low 60's and sunny. Portland was in the low 70's and sunny. St John was in the low 60's and rainy. Halifax was in the high 60's and sunny. Halifax was my favorite port. Leaving in Oct will be cooler but you should have some good fall foliage photo ops.

Even though it was on the cool side, I would definitely do this itinerary again. Leaving out of Port NYC is breathtaking.

Enjoy your cruise!:cool:

The weather can really vary for that itinerary. We had cool weather once in July and it was low 80s in Halifax one end of September cruise. It definitely gets cool and foggy at night. We also have sailed on the Splendor and loved it enough to book another for this coming October.

I sent my parents on this cruise for their 50th anniversary this past September. They sailed September 14th, they had decent weather, mid to upper 60's most days, chilly at night. They enjoyed this cruise very much.

I chose it because they like the ports offered and it was very easy for me to drop them off in the city to board the Glory. Cruising out of NYC is fun.

You get to see the Statue of Liberty up close, you will sail right under the Verrazano Bridge (be on the top deck when you go under) & just take in the NYC skyline.

We did this itinerary in 2009 and absolutely loved it. It has been my favorite cruise hands down. We are considering booking it again for our 20 year anniversary this year.

We went in mid-October. Boston, Portland and Halifax weren't too cold. Just needed sweatshirts and jeans. But, St. John was rainy and freezing!

How are waters on this particular cruise? We are debating on this one and a Caribbean cruise. I know the Caribbean can have rough waters during that time.

Not bad unless mother nature decides to toss storm your way

I did the cruise to Halifax only, it was a 4 day. On that cruise in August the water was as smooth as glass both ways. When my parents did the 7 day you are considering last September, they said they had a slight chop but nothing bad at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh man! I have no idea which one to pick! Something new, but chilly, or something old, but warm. : ) By October, I'm going to be craving the cooler temperatures though. Are there plenty of things to do in the ports? Thank you so much!

Lies, I hear you about the cruise to the north being "cooler"... My wife and I usually do a "warm" cruise in the winter (and actually now have two booked), but look at this cruise as something different. Though the weather is not warm (80s), I am looking forward to this as it does go to places that interest me.

And based on what I've found in both St John and Halifax, I think there is "plenty" to do. But my wife and I are walkers/hikers and plan to do this while on this trip.

Steve

Jaems, depends on what you consider cold... We are going in Sept and the "average temps" for that time are upper 60s during the day, 40s/50s at night. So, I assume in Oct, it will be a bit colder. Definitely not "shorts/t-shirts" weather :) And I am in Maryland, looking to move to Utah in the next few years.

Where in Utah are you looking to move? We've been here a year and a half and we love it! It's feels like living in a postcard. : ) We'll be enjoying the rest of our time here before the Air Force moves us again.

Where in Utah are you looking to move? We've been here a year and a half and we love it! It's feels like living in a postcard. : ) We'll be enjoying the rest of our time here before the Air Force moves us again.

I know what you mean... We were there on vacation last summer and visited Arches, Bryce, and Zion... Unbelievable. And it is exactly what my wife and I are looking for (at least right now). Right now, we are looking at north of St. Georges. Keeps us near a major airport (Vegas) and close to LOTS of national and state parks to hike.

We did a 7 day princess Cruise out of NY in 2011 and it remains one of the most memorable cruises we have taken. It is very different from carribean and alaska cruises (more fog, less to see on the sea transits, cooler weather, not as "active"). But the ports we visited were great, very different types of excursions, and some wonderfull chances to get extrordinary seafood at quaint roadside locations.

We are limited on seasons we can take cruises, but loved the trip. My dmil and dfin, joined us. Their last cruise was an atlantic crossing in the 50's, returning from being deployed to belgium for years. Swore they would never get on a ship again after the two trips there and back.

We had one day with very high winds and heavy seas, canceled our stop at sydney. They had an amazing time on this cruise, enjoyed everything, including coming into NY, and have told all of their friends it was a great time. They didn't even notice the weather as modern ships are so stable compared to the old ships.

We would strongly recommend any new england cruise. We would be taking one this year had not there been limited ships doing it during the summer months.

We loved our NE/Canada cruise, although I made the mistake of booking in September, and the Fall foliage hadn't even started to turn...and I was hoping for the peak! We froze our butts off in Canada and it was in the nineties in Maine and Boston. The only day that we had that was moderate in temps was when we were in Newport.

I would definitely do it again.

My only word of caution...this itinerary usually has tendered ports. The transfer to the tender can be rough. DH and I are both pretty agile for fifty-somethings, but our cruise had a lot of people that required assistance....one ended up in his lap, lol! Just something to consider if it applies.

My husband and I are in our 30's and we're both very active (working out, snowboarding, hiking, etc). We would enjoy the hiking offered. Is the hiking an actual excursion or it is a 'do as you please' type of thing? We are doing a Bahamas cruise in August, so we want something different for the October cruise.

My husband and I are looking into taking this cruise in October (ten year anniversary).

We are also doing the Canada/New England sailing for our 10th wedding anniversary in October! :D

Although we enjoy Carnival, we are doing the 7 night itinerary aboard the brand new Royal Princess since it's a special occasion. We want to bump up the experience a few notches.

We did do the 5 night itinerary to Halifax and St. John back when the Destiny was the resident ship in NYC. We went in June and the temperature ranged from 80's, calm seas, and sunny, to 40's, rainy, and choppy seas. It was a great trip, but definitely different than a Caribbean trip.

As far as activities go, we are planning on going biking at the Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, doing the Reversing Falls Jetboat in St. John, sailing on a tall ship in Halifax, and going to the Breakers in Newport. You can definitely stay active! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Jaems,

We are doing this on our own. Portland seems to have a trail along the coast. St John has a nature park close by, we have a car on reserve from Avis. I'm 55 and my wife is 50. We are both in "good shape", but certainly not in our 30s anymore :) If you want to contact me outside here and on the ship, I am at snc_cam at hotmail. We can share things we find for this cruise.

Steve

My only word of caution...this itinerary usually has tendered ports. The transfer to the tender can be rough. DH and I are both pretty agile for fifty-somethings, but our cruise had a lot of people that required assistance....one ended up in his lap, lol! Just something to consider if it applies.

If tendering is an issue, the Carnival ports of Boston, Portland, St John and Halifax were not tender ports. Not having to tender certainly did make it eary to get on and off the ship.:cool:

I live between the Boston and Portland ports. Late September early October is my favorite time of year here. It can get cold especially at night but typically it's warm enough for just a sweater during the day. Late October is less predictable and we have had over a foot of snow a few days before Halloween.

Right now we're debating between the seven night and the five night. The seven night sounds nice and it's a better price overall. However, we'll be on the ship on our actual ten year anniversary on the five night. We thought about spending a couple of nights in NYC to make up for the extra days we won't be on the cruise.