Ship Phone vs. Verizon

Cruisin4US

Which would be the least expensive way to call home when on the Carnival Breeze Ship --- Ship Phone or Verizon?

Thank you for any other information regarding phone service, what plan etc!

From what I understand your cell can be very expensive. On ship it is $1.99 a min. Very easy & for a check up call very cheap.

I had to call the kids a couple times while on ship last mth. worth every penny & it goes on your S&S.

I would agree for the ships phone over the iPhone. The charges from the ship using the iPhone using the satellite is going to be slow, and they may bounce they signal off of satellites over the Congo or Africa like my first or second cruise even though I was in the Caribbean (the wrong location was the only ting that saved me from paying the bill with Sprint). But just using the ships phone for quick checking in on the house, family, pets, etc., is well worth the $1.99 and you won't have to wait 2 or three billing cycles to guess how much the bill is, and if its going to be right. Saves me a headache from dealing with ATT now anyway!!!

Also depending if your on a U.S. island such as the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico, the cost is just like you're in the U.S. So no roaming charges for calls or texts. Also, international text plans are cheaper to use when cruise, for ATT anyway.

Just called Verizon to find out what to do with my cell phone and am somewhat (majorly) confused.......

Turn on airplane mode, turn off cellular, turn on roaming??? Anyone know if this is right? Thanks!

We turn off cellular data AND put it in airplane mode! But just doing airplane mode would work, too!

Also depending if your on a U.S. island such as the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico, the cost is just like you're in the U.S. So no roaming charges for calls or texts. Also, international text plans are cheaper to use when cruise, for ATT anyway.

I would double check this with Verizon. Last time we were in St. Thomas we called Verizon and they advised that there ARE additional fees to use it there. But my friend with ATT did NOT have charges and could use her phone as normal in St. Thomas.

Here is everything with Verizon:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html

Here's your data information:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/information/data_roaming_charges.html

I know in 2012 I used my data in St Thomas but it was 1G (oh my god it was like dial up compare to fios). But I was still able to post things on Facebook (what else do you do on vacation but make your friends jealous).

If you are not sure what to do with your phone here is how to turn your phone to airplane mode:

http://search.verizonwireless.com/?q=airplane%20mode

Leave it on that for the week, you can still take pictures, listen to music but you can't send or receive messages.

I forward my cell to my Google voice number and have it text me the transcript of each voicemail. Receiving texts anywhere is free but sending costs. That way, if important, I can either text or call. Ship phone is pretty cheap comparatively.

Sent from my wonderful iPhone 5 using the fabulous Cruise Critic app.

I had the same dilemna just this past week while on the Fantasy. I saw on CNN while in room a chance for snow when I returned so I needed to know about driving conditions.

First thought, send a fast email (pay by minute) then go back later to check. I tried and the connection was SO slow, it took 2 minutes before the page even loaded.

Knew with AT&T after their charge and ship charge, it'd be a lot more, I decided to go with Room phone. It was well worth the $1.99/minute. I just told the person at home to talk fast. LOL. :p

I forward my cell to my Google voice number and have it text me the transcript of each voicemail. Receiving texts anywhere is free but sending costs. That way, if important, I can either text or call. Ship phone is pretty cheap comparatively.

Sent from my wonderful iPhone 5 using the fabulous Cruise Critic app.

Good idea, I leave my text and calls on for emergencies and didn't think about this. I turn off data of course :). Last cruise I just had a couple outgoing text and 3 calls for 1-2 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app