A Taste of Tahiti

Tikiintahiti

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tikiintahiti - well dear wife enjoyed our cruise out of Hawaii, via the Tahitian islands, then Suva & Noumea, back to Sydney.

The best part was the Tahitian Islands, just so beautiful, and the young tahitian women are so beautiful to.

I enjoyed visiting Point Venus to see where Capt Bligh collected the breadfruit trees, then it was so nice to visit Papeete, Bora Bora & Moorea. Had a few nice Hinano beers along the way. In Papeete town, we visited Les 3 Brasseurs boutique brewery & restaurant. The staff all spoke french, and I had trouble trying to order some beers. Luckily, a nice french couple with their children on a nearby table understood our problem, and the husband spoke to the staff in french, and in minutes, we were sampling some very good beer.

Tikiintahit - I forgot to say - "Maruuruu" for all your excellent advice.

P.S. South East Asia (Vietnam, China, Ko Samui, Penang, etc) for our next cruise in 2015. We are looking forward to that cruise, as it starts & finishes in Singapore, where our eldest son & family - live & work, so it allows us to stay with them & catch up on old times with a little bit of cruising in between.

I appreciate all of your help with all of our questions. My husband and I along with my parents are going on a new years cruise with Pacific Princess. The cruise ship leaves out of Tahiti. We plan to arrive a few days earlier to sight see. We enjoy renting cars and driving to different places of interest. We enjoy looking at beautiful scenery such as waterfalls, beaches, mountains and country side. I have researched various websites and have compiled a list of places to go and see. If you have any advice that would be great! Are there any places that I have listed that you would omit? Is there anything that is not on my list that I should add? Also we would like to take an interior island tour on another day to Vaihiria Crater Lake.

Point Venus

Punaauia

Taharuu Papara Beach

Teahupoo

Tautira

Tiarei

Vaimahuta Waterfall

Papeari

Spring Gardens-South Coast rd-not for sure about the location of the spring gardens

Fautaua waterfalls

Arahoho Blowhole -East coast

East coast - tomb of King Pomare V

Faarumai Falls--not for sure of the location-is it different from Fautaua waterfalls?

Maraa Grottoes

Thank you again for all of your advice!

Steph

That is a long list!

Many of the places you mention are just smaller villages that you will pass through on a trip around the island.

I would make sure you do the trip to the interior as the views and water falls are fantastic in the interior.

On the east side of the island you will be able to see many waterfalls in the distance coming off the mountains but to get close up and in ......... go to the interior.

Teahupo'o is off the beaten trek and many don't go out there. The waves are big and the vistas are nice.

Point Venus light house is where Captain Cook got his bread fruit from. There is a small park with a nice garden, great place to enjoy a light snack. Many locals enjoy this spot. The light house is old and interesting.

In Taravao there is a large store to grab a sandwich, cheese/crackers/wine for a snack when you go out to Teahupo'o.

The plateau north of Taravao gives some great views and further up is the steep trail to the 3 waterfalls, stunning.

You have so many places on your list you won't have time to see them all in one day.

Another place to visit is Marae Arahurahu around PK22. Some of the best preserved cultural ruins of Polynesia.

A cultural museum no to miss is called "Jardin du Musee de Tahiti et des ilies" or some just call it Museum of Tahiti culture. Located in Puna'auia, the turnoff is located between the large commercial shopping center and the river.

Just make sure you get to the interior ;)

Thank you for all of your help!! Do you think it would be worth it to rent a car for two days and take an interior excursion of the island on the third day? Or what places that I suggested to visit would you take off from my list? Thank you for suggesting Marae Arahurahu and du Musee de Tahiti et des ilies. I will add it to my itinerary.

Are the Faarumai Falls at the same place as Fautaua waterfalls?

I appreciate all of your assistance!!

Steph

The places I'm familiar with I mentioned by name and some of the places on your list are just towns around the island.

Not sure on the waterfall question.

It will take you at least 2 days to see the items on the list I gave so if you want to see the interior (which I think is Tahiti's best asset) you will need to stay a 3rd day.

We rented a car, as described by Tikintahiti, on our last day before a late night flight. It worked out real well to store our luggage in the car trunk while we visited the sites between Papeete and the

Vaimahutu falls. After dark, we drove back to Papeete for dinner at the Roulottes. After that, we drove to the airport for check in.

I ran across this link showing the waterfalls.

http://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/south-pacific-vaimahutu-falls.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk