Ideas for New York Pier Parking

iluvcruises

Check out the "east coast departure" board here on CC.

Many discussion about it.

Have a look at Groupon, they often have great specials for nearby parking.

Have fun !

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

we used park right located on 43rd street and tween 11th ave and 12th ave..they take you to the ship but you have to get a cab when you return ..if your a walk off go across street where the cabs are and a $5. ride to your car which is parked inside.........if you park at the pier in snow days beware take a shovel with you as you will have to dig your car out..

First cruise feb 2010 from NYC to Bahamas....

Snowed like hell 2 days before we came back to NYC...snow was waist heigh behind all the cars on the rooftop parking.

Being from Montreal I had a shovel in the truck, dug our way out...everyone ( almost ;) ) was shovelling snow with their bare hands.

Winter time it is a good idea to park inside somewhere near the port

I use Bestparking.com almost weekly. Last cruise I saved close to $200 over the pier parking lot. The pier lot used to be a bargain (by midtown Manhattan standards) and I'd use it whenever I needed to abandon my car for a long period of time because of travel or whatever. Was $30 a day for the 1st ten and then nothing for the remainder of the month. Last month they raised it to $40.

When using an private lot remember to add in the cost of the tax; Manhattan has an 18% parking surcharge. Tax is included in the pier price.

And yes, remember the snow! The pier is easy: you just park and go and don't have to lug your suitcase a few blocks, but having to dig your car out is a real chore. A few weeks ago I took the dog over to let it off the leash and cars were iced in. I don't know what people wound up doing - there were dozens of people just standing around wondering what to do.

If you are concerned about carrying your bags to/from a private garage, if you are traveling with someone just leave them with the luggage at the pier and then go park/collect the car. If you park further away, there is the taxi stand right across the street, but there is often a long line when everybody starts to disembark - you might be better walking south a couple blocks and hailing the cab before it reaches the taxi stand. There's a car wash on 46 across from the Intrepid that is used by taxi cabs - I've had luck beating the line by catching a cab there.

All the best.

We parked at a hotel in Secaucus for free for our 12 day on the Breakaway. Only 15 minutes to the pier. They had a covered parking garage so no issues with snow and ice. I would absolutely do it that way again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First cruise feb 2010 from NYC to Bahamas....

Snowed like hell 2 days before we came back to NYC...snow was waist heigh behind all the cars on the rooftop parking.

Being from Montreal I had a shovel in the truck, dug our way out...everyone ( almost ;) ) was shovelling snow with their bare hands.

Winter time it is a good idea to park inside somewhere near the port

omg that is hilarious..... sad.....but hilarious.

I try and warn every roll call before they go!!!!

NYC snow totals so far are over 60". Normally by this time we get around 16"

It's been a really brutal one so far.

One more month and it will be spring.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

We parked at a hotel in Secaucus for free for our 12 day on the Breakaway. Only 15 minutes to the pier. They had a covered parking garage so no issues with snow and ice. I would absolutely do it that way again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What was the hotel.. how did you get to the pier?

Thanks!

Park at Port Imperial on the Jersey side and take the Ferry over. $15 a day to park plus $16 for the ferry round trip.

http://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenTerminal.aspx

We just did that for a weekend CTN, and somehow got charged an extra day. We still can't quite figure out where the extra came from - if it was an up charge b/c it was Super Bowl weekend or what.

I just posted this on the East Coast board

Not sure where you are coming in from - but I was poking around the NCL website and found that they partner with groundlink.. After poking around their website I was able to secure round trip town car service from Essex County NJ to the pier for $90.97 each way. That includes tolls and gratuity! That's $178 in savings for our 9 night cruise in April. That's a $98 savings on a 7 night cruise. I usually park but the price is getting out of hand now.

We also discussed waiting time when I made my reservation. I asked to be picked up at 10:30 on debark day - figured that would allow plenty of time. If we are early we can just call. If we are running late I need to give tyhem 30 minutes notice.

We'll see. I used a car service once before and we were delayed getting off the ship - we werre charged an additional $50 for wait time!

It was the Hilton Garden Inn. We took a car service. Came out much cheaper than parking anywhere in the city.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you! How did you find the car service..did you reserve this ahead of time. Ive never done that before. This sounds like a great idea!

Thank you! How did you find the car service..did you reserve this ahead of time. Ive never done that before. This sounds like a great idea!

Super easy to reserve ahead of time. They send you a text when the car is on its way and when it arrives. We also found a coupon online that saved a little bit. Nice comfy cars, pleasant drivers.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 1 year later...

An option for those coming from the south would be to park at the Metropark train station in Iselin, NJ, and take NJ Transit to Penn Station (about 45 minutes) and then subway/bus combo or cab to the pier. It's a secure 24-hour garage, $9 per day.

We just did that for a weekend CTN, and somehow got charged an extra day. We still can't quite figure out where the extra came from - if it was an up charge b/c it was Super Bowl weekend or what.

The port would have been $40 per night

Your deal had they not up charged you would have been $30 for the car and $32 for 2 for the ferry correct?

Plus a walk or cab to and from the pier?

I don't know how much the tunnel/bridge is but the hassle isn't worth it or am I missing something?

Assuming they didn't up charge you, exactly how much did you actually save?

For a 7 or 12 night cruise it might be worth it.... But I don't see a huge savings.... But see a big hassle... For a ctn when following your plan

I would have parked at the pier

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trans Bridge Buses go from Allentown, PA through NJ to the Port Authority at 42nd Street and a $9 cab ride to the pier. Round trip bus ticket from Allentown, a three hour trip, costs $48, but 62 and over is $25 round trip. Of course there are other stops in Easton, P-Burg, Clinton where the round trip is even less.