Very very upset with NCL

geegee1

I would give up 5 feet for $500 in a nanosecond.

I hope this works out, OP. This definitely sounds like a rare occurrence, and it stinks that it happened to you. I truly believe you will come out ahead in this though.

With an 8 and 5 yo that extra 5 feet is worth every last penny

You are absolutely correct. It's the principle of it. I booked a MS because that is what we wanted. If I wanted the BA I would have done that.

Does anyone know if the BA balcony couch, on the Breakaway, opens up for 2 kids to sleep on it? I have an 8 and 5 yo. Don't feel safe having one sleep on a bed being pulled down from the ceiling

No. The couch is a single bed, not a fold out double or queen. One will need to sleep in the pull down bed. There's a railing on it and not much risk, if its like the one on Epic. Here are a few pics:

This is the couch on Epic for day use. It rolls under that padded backboard to create the couch.

350-vi.jpg

At night the "couch" rolls out a bit and is made into a single bed. It doesn't fold out like a typical sofa bed

411-vi.jpg

The 4th person would sleep in a very sturdy bunk that pulls down from the ceiling. You can see there is a railing. It looks too short, but that's just because you see the pillow and not the mattress

345-vi.jpg

Again, this is the Epic, but the BA uses a similar approach

Edited by sdmike

Your upset with NCL for what that you think they will do? Or, your upset with NCL for what you think they won't do? Why not wait until they come to a conclusion on how to rectify your situation before declaring your distaste?

Because they were told that their guarantee would not be honored. That's what the OP was reacting to.

and tell them this is unacceptable. What if NCL upgrades them to a full suite? Or what if NCL bumps someone else? Would he still be unhappy then?

No, I'm pretty confident they would be happy

Edited by sdmike

You are absolutely correct. It's the principle of it. I booked a MS because that is what we wanted. If I wanted the BA I would have done that.

Does anyone know if the BA balcony couch, on the Breakaway, opens up for 2 kids to sleep on it? I have an 8 and 5 yo. Don't feel safe having one sleep on a bed being pulled down from the ceiling

They are a little smaller or about the size of a double bed: I am sure 2 young kids will be fine, but the would be just fine in a bed that pulls down. think of how many kids were raised with bunk beds? The first cruise we went on, many years ago, the bed my husband used was a pull down. There were twins which his mom and I used and he used the pull down.

Edited by newmexicoNita

If there are no more suites and they don't have a mini-suite to spare, 2 balcony rooms side-by-side would be an upgrade.

I was thinking the same thing. If the mini-suite they reserved is absolutely not available, I would be asking for two adjoining balcony rooms.

On my very first cruise, I reserved quad room for our family of 4 (on Carnival). About a week before our cruise, I was called and told that no quads were available and would we take two side-by-side balcony rooms. I jumped at the chance and was so happy for the extra room. We would have been super cramped if we all stayed in one room.

To the OP- you deserve what you booked and I hope NCL comes through for you- I would fight for the best possible accommodations that suit your needs.

To the OP- you deserve what you booked and I hope NCL comes through for you- I would fight for the best possible accommodations that suit your needs.

This.

I hope NCL fixes this for you. You booked a MS because you wanted the space. Tight space is one of the few things about cruising that I don't do well with. To some people, it doesn't matter. To others (especially with 4 to a room), more space is absolutely worth paying for. I'm one of those people. There are few other amenities that are important to me. But if I were downgraded to a smaller room than I'd booked, I'd rather cancel the cruise and travel in a regular hotel room than feel cramped in a small cruise cabin. Having enough personal space = feeling like I'm vacation.

Keep us posted on how this turns out. Crossing my fingers for you!

I hate to burst your anger bubble, but balcony cabins are mini suites on NCL, What is the problem???

Actually, I hate to burst YOUR bubble, but you have that wrong.

Mini suites are balcony cabins (they all have balconies), but balcony cabins are NOT mini suites.

Mini suites ARE bigger than regular balcony cabins by about 40 square feet.

For a family of 4, a mini suite is MUCH more appropriate than a regular balcony cabin.

Her anger with NCL over this issue is absolutely justified.

I was thinking the same thing. If the mini-suite they reserved is absolutely not available, I would be asking for two adjoining balcony rooms.

On my very first cruise, I reserved quad room for our family of 4 (on Carnival). About a week before our cruise, I was called and told that no quads were available and would we take two side-by-side balcony rooms. I jumped at the chance and was so happy for the extra room. We would have been super cramped if we all stayed in one room.

My confusion is: how could there be an MS gty listed if there were none available. That doesn't seem to make much sense.

If NCL does not come through with the minisuite, with kids that age, I'd ask for two connecting cabins. Preferably two connecting balcony cabins, but I might even take two connecting Oceanview cabins vs cramming into one balcony (especially if parents are not comfortable with a kiddo on the upper berth).

My confusion is: how could there be an MS gty listed if there were none available. That doesn't seem to make much sense.

Because they overbook, just like airlines and hotels do as already explained in this thread. I too have booked an GTY from specific cabin category (not just general cabin class like GTYs usually are) that had no other availability, ultimately got assignment from higher category. Usually their gamble with overbooking pays off - but as seen here, not always.

Edited by Demonyte

If NCL does not come through with the minisuite, with kids that age, I'd ask for two connecting cabins. Preferably two connecting balcony cabins, but I might even take two connecting Oceanview cabins vs cramming into one balcony (especially if parents are not comfortable with a kiddo on the upper berth).

OP- this (adjoining balconies or oceanviews) is a great idea. For what it's worth, I would not be comfortable at all having an 8 yr old sleeping in an upper berth, especially after seeing the pic above. I would absolutely state it to NCL as concern that you would have for a small child's safety with regard to that sleeping arrangement- that should get their legal wheels turning.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app